Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Gutted

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

I decided to fly my first long distance flight using VFR instead of IFR so I dont need to worry about listening to radio messages. So I got about half way to my destination and I noticed that I was slowing down. I checked my engines and one of them had packed in so I had to make an emergancy landing. DAMN YOU FSP!!!! I have my failures set to 2%. Why did it pick this specific flight? According to the flight log I had a bird strike on take off.

Sorry, needed to vent off some anger.

Ill try again.

Pro Member First Officer
Jamie Robson (Jamier) First Officer

bird strike on takeoff and you only noticed it half way through the flight?

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

yeah everything seemed ok but I must of missed the oil pressure drop. Ive learnt from my mistakes and dont take my eye off the gauge now lol

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

With bird strikes, (depending on severity) its important to notice them quickly whilst you still have engine power and oil pressure is dropping or rising. Unlucky odds on 2% though Twisted Evil

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Always watch your instruments my friend. ❗ 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

Always watch your instruments my friend. ❗ 😉

Couldn't agree more, couple flights ago in my Mooney I was on final when I noticed that my left fuel tank gauge showed empty or quite near empty, the left tank was of course the one I was using, switched over thinking that somehow I used up all the fuel in that tank. Then when I read the FSP report I had developed a massive fuel leak, thankfully I noticed it before it really ran out. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

So why would the oil pressure drop if there was a bird strike? I don't really understand exactly what a bird strike is. Thanks...

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

birdstrike - when you plow into a bird.

going at 300mph, hitting a bird can cause quite a bit of damage depending on where it hits.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Birds in general are a very serious danger for the aircrafts.
All the big airports have Environmental Sections which one of their duties is to provide birds(and animals in general) pass over or through the airport and especially the runway area.
They are using electronic equipment in order to keep birds away(but guns also included :wink🙂like high frequency transmitters, they take care about the food chain to port area,for example no rats or snakes,no hawks to eat them etc,etc.