Autorudder on jets?

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

I know that on GA aircraft like the trusty C172, my rudder pedals control the rudder at the back of the a/c and are necessary during turns. However, I remember hearing that on jets that pedals are only really used to stear the a/c on the ground. But jets obviously do have rudders... so I'm just wondering if the a/c automatically applies the necessary rudder for you when you turn the yoke in a certain direction?

Thanks! JTH 🙂

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Jets have a tiller used to steer the aircraft on ground. Rudder also steers the aircraft on ground but not much. During take-off and landing, pilots can use the rudder to align the aircraft with the centerline. Then they use the tiller to taxi the aircraft.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

On most jets, there is an interlink that helps by applying some of the required rudder in normal turns but not all. Jets still require rudder but to a smaller extent than propeller aircraft. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

So if I wanted to turn a 737 to the right, I would still have to push my right foot forward as well as turning the yoke to the right?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Yes, as necessary to keep ball in the center of the inclinometer. This maintains coordinated flight. It will take little to none with the default 737 within Flight Simulator. The real aircraft or a more sophisticated simulation would take a little more🙂

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Thanks 🙂

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Hm, stupid question just surfaced. Autopilot does make coordinated turns, though, right? It does control the rudder too?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Yes. There are servo-actuators that move the Rudder, Elevator, Ailerons and trim tabs. This would be a full three axis autopilot or Flight Director System. Some GA aircraft have cheaper systems that don't utilize all of the servos and provide less function at a lower price. One term used for a basic system is Wing leveler. It just keeps the aircraft from getting out of hand for a short time such as when you need to search for charts or otherwise divert your attention. 🙂

Also jets don't REQUIRE much rudder either on takeoff or in flight. This is because of the very low torque the turbines create and the location of the engines on some aircraft like a DC-9, MD-80, Learjet, etc. Those engines ar very near the centerline of the aircraft thereby very little yaw is created.

Prop airplanes have much more need for rudder because of torque, 'P" factor, and the fact the engines are hung out on hte wigs which enhances the adverse yawing.

Try to take off a Lear versus a Beech Baron witout rudder and see who stays on the runway the longest! 🙂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...