Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Not quite a repaint

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I was watching the movie Lord of War and was impressed with the Antonov 12 featured in it. Since I had a 12B in Ukraine Air Force colors, I thought I'd take a crack at producing something that looked like I'd purchased or pilfered the plane from them.

Everything turned out well except that the text on the right side of the tail is mirror image. Since Windows Paint doesn't have a flip or rotate function, I downloaded Paint.Net from Washington State University so I can try to correct the problem.

Can anyone suggest other planes that lend themselves to repainting by dummies?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

It seems that we have a new great repainter here. Clap Clap Clap Thumbs Up!

Pro Member Chief Captain

Greekman,

I see Omega-Air is going to have to buy you eyeglasses. All I did was put some text on a pre-existing pain job. Like graffitti. Rolling Eyes

Pro Member Captain
Dave Copeland (davec) Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

Everything turned out well except that the text on the right side of the tail is mirror image. Since Windows Paint doesn't have a flip or rotate function, I downloaded Paint.Net from Washington State University so I can try to correct the problem.

My copy of MSPaint has the flip/rotate facility - type in the text in the normal box allotted - go out of the text mode - select the area of the text with the rectangle select tool - Select Image and the Flip/Rotate drop down Menu will appear - select accordingly.
QED
Cheers
DaveC

Pro Member First Officer
Tartanaviation First Officer

QED

Is this a latin phrase DaveC?

Pro Member Chief Captain

davec wrote:

My copy of MSPaint has the flip/rotate facility - type in the text in the normal box allotted - go out of the text mode - select the area of the text with the rectangle select tool - Select Image and the Flip/Rotate drop down Menu will appear - select accordingly.
QED
Cheers
DaveC

Well duh on me. Rolling Eyes Still, the program I downloaded is very nice for a free product.

Another question occurs to me. Why is it that I can not view the texture files on some a/c? A means of keeping vandals like me from trashing a masterpiece? Razz

Pro Member Chief Captain

Tartanaviation wrote:

QED

Originally Latin meaning "quod erat demonstrandum" or "which was to be shown or ... QED."

Google is your friend. Smile

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

Greekman,

I see Omega-Air is going to have to buy you eyeglasses. All I did was put some text on a pre-existing pain job. Like graffitti. Rolling Eyes

All the big discoveries starts from a small step.... Wink

Tartanaviation wrote:

QED

Yes it is, in the dim and distant past, when I was at school - we would use it when we had solved, usually a geometry problem, we were encouraged to always end with the 'QED' (Quod Erat Demonstrandum) or translated 'We have done that which we set out to do' or some such words. But the wags made their own meaning - 'Quite Easily Done'
There ends lesson 1

Pro Member Captain

Forgot to sign in - that was me above - and I didn't need Google to tell me - bet Google did not include the 'Quite Easily Done' info.
And for beating me to the punch - I don't thinkI will tell Crash how to view his texture files - Aw! Go on - tell him!!!
As 99% of texture files are in extended bmp format - photo editors cannot translate them - you need the DXTBMP.exe from Martin Wright's excellent site- it's free - in fact you can't really carry out all the repaint processes without it

Pro Member Captain

My last word (or picture) on the subject Laughing Laughing Laughing

... and by the way - are we having a whip round for Greekman's
glasses Shocked

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL Thumbs Up!

Pro Member Chief Captain

davec wrote:

Forgot to sign in - that was me above - and I didn't need Google to tell me - bet Google did not include the 'Quite Easily Done' info.
And for beating me to the punch - I don't thinkI will tell Crash how to view his texture files - Aw! Go on - tell him!!!
As 99% of texture files are in extended bmp format - photo editors cannot translate them - you need the DXTBMP.exe from Martin Wright's excellent site- it's free - in fact you can't really carry out all the repaint processes without it

I am again in your debt. I even googled to find the site. Wink

And no, I wouldn't have found, "Quite Easily Done", but then, for me, nothing ever is. Unsure

Love the comment in your final word/picture. BTW, I fixed the backwards text. Now, I'm on to my next accomplishment/embarassment. I'll never have your talent, just my determined mediocrity. Rolling Eyes

Pro Member Captain

Crash - never ever be embarassed about learning something new or making mistakes in the learning - knowledge is something that man has been seeking for thousands of years - the man that finally discovered how to make the wheel wasn't embarassed when the first ones he made were square - he learned from his efforts and made the next one elliptical - still not quite right but his life was full of ups and downs!!! Laughing
If he had saved it is extended BMP - he would have been OK Rolling Eyes

Pro Member Chief Captain

I usually jump into things like this pretty cluless. No wonder theings don't always go as planned.

Anyway, this is my latest addition. We bought up some of the old Soviet fleet. I missed a few things, such as the numbers on the bottom of the wing (not visible here), but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Punk Punk Punk Thumbs Up! Thumbs Up! Thumbs Up!