Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

freewebs v/a's omg!

Ben R Guest

Guys,

Why do you all make freewebs/geocities/wateva va's all the time? They have a strong tendency and stereotype to fall flat on their ass within 2 weeks. I would be very surprised if one had over 15 members, who actually dedicated some spare time to accumulating hours rather than fly maybe 2 flights and then there are alot of topics posted with titles like

'help needed' or 'we need pilots'

and then there are the

'we will be closing' posts.

If you are serious about starting a VA, get a real website, real hosting and a real domain name otherwise you will never suceed. I learnt that the hard way.

There are plenty of people who will make you a website for one...

But, if you want to waste your time on freewebs, go for it.

BTW - I think that there should be a new forum created for people to beg for new pilots because there are too many in the VA forum...

Ben.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

If it is well run and attended to, I really don't think it matters where the site is hosted.

I do, however, agree that those posts begging for pilots are from folks who want instant success. Not a favorable sign for longevity.

flightcheck Guest

I agree with Ben R - freewebs is a stereotyped to the less serious VA's.
A VA with there own domain would show me atleast they want to be noticed, and i would usually check it out and read what they want.

I seem to bypass freewebs becus it just doesnt interest me to see "freewebs.com" in front of there name.

IsaacN Guest

Crash I have to majorly disagree with you. They are moved into the less serious VAs catagory and rightfully so.

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

I run my VA from freewebs. This is only temporary until my new website is finished. I only mind when people post about needing more pilots. But I can't say I never did that, because I did. I got my first two pilots posting a topic like that. I did that once or twice and I will never do it again. Freewebs is a good starter website, but it is not where I would like to keep my VA.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

I've started looking into VA's as of late and I pretty much ignore sites that are unprofessional and use basic free hosting. But thats just me, plus I used to design websites so thats a major perk for me. Wink

Perhaps I'm just an elitist Censored By Radar

flightcheck wrote:

I agree with Ben R - freewebs is a stereotyped to the less serious VA's.
A VA with there own domain would show me atleast they want to be noticed, and i would usually check it out and read what they want.

I seem to bypass freewebs becus it just doesnt interest me to see "freewebs.com" in front of there name.

i agree totally - couldnt put it better

your a smart person!

CO VAWTC Guest

In response to crash gordon:

People advertise their website for recruiting puropses, lets not forget how big the internet is - without a PR campaign nobody would ever find your website and hence you would never have any members!

I share the view that there are far too many unprofessional, freewebs etc VA's, i personally gloss over them withour paying much attention, however some do find a footing in the 'industry' and eventually get their own servers and the like, so the strategy of getting a freewebs site is a sound one, for some.

I strongly disagree with some members who make VA's up every other week, which never go anywhere and hve no members. That really gets my goat, i have seen one member on another forum i advertise on and i pity them. If you are going to set up a VA, put 150% effort into it, ensure you have the adequate knowledge of both real world and simulated procedures and also about the web and its problems. There is a very big difference between the VA's set up by your 16yr old not so know it all and your modest person with the real life experience to make the enterprise work.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

The VAs on freewebs are not bad because they are on freewebs. They are bad because there are people who think they can put up a couple of repaints, name a few hubs and routes and include a pirep system...and then wonder why everyone isn't joining.

The reason is that what they have created is exactly the same as every other VA in existance. So why would anyone switch from the VA they were already with?

The people who put up such sites are primarily interested in being a CEO, not running a VA.

Ryan F. Guest

I'm sorry, but Ben's statement really angers me.

What are the ones who can't get a .com or .net domain supposed to do?

I have been running my VA from Tripod since March, 2005. Trust me, I would love nothing more than to move up to a .com or .net domain. I even posted about it to get opinions on site builders a week or two ago.

Problem is, I'm 17 years old and I don't have access to any way of paying for a professional domain. And please, save your comments if you're going to tell me I never should have started a VA in the first place, because I have put more hours than I can remember into creating and maintaining my VA, did it by myself, and am very passionate about it. I wanted to make a VA now, knowing that I will have to hand it off to someone else or shut it down when I go to college anyway.

Ok, I do agree that the "beg for pilots" posts get pesky. But I don't understand what the problem is. My peak of rostered pilots was a few months ago, at 16 pilots. Now, due to inactivity in just about 99.9% of them, I'm down to a measley 2 active pilots. I'll admit, yes there's plenty of more attractive and promising VAs out there, but I just don't undestand why someone won't step forward and apply to help me manage it.

I'm not trying to pick fights or make fun of anyone, I'm just saying cut some slack for those of us who are doing everything we can, despite a "trashy" look or impression. If someone would like to help me manage my VA, or even just give me some pointers, email me.

globalstar_ceo@yahoo.com
www.globalstar.cjb.net

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I think Ben was speaking generally. I would agree that a lot of people like the idea of a VA and go ahead and make one, get bored with it, and then it falls flat a month or so down the line. Obviously, the simplest way to make a VA is to set up a free website, so VAs that are made spontaneously using free webs, give free webs a stereotypical bad name. Obviously, there are always exceptions, where people put lots of thought and effort into their VA's on free webs and they survive for a long time, but often little planning is involved so they don't tend to survive for too long. 😉

Ryan F. Guest

Yes, well like I said, I'm not trying to argue or pick fights - I simply just get angry when it's implied a free site means a "trashy" airline and/or an undevoted manager/president. I have put LOTS (I really can't stress that enough, lol) of work into my virtual airline. And it has lasted almost a year now and I don't plan on abandoning it any time soon.

Ryan F. wrote:

Yes, well like I said, I'm not trying to argue or pick fights - I simply just get angry when it's implied a free site means a "trashy" airline and/or an undevoted manager/president. I have put LOTS (I really can't stress that enough, lol) of work into my virtual airline. And it has lasted almost a year now and I don't plan on abandoning it any time soon.

I never once stated that free sites are trashy, did I? I totally agree that you have put alot of time into your virtual airline, never denied that.

As for help, I would be more than willing to help you run the website, and being a web designer I can build you a website. You will probably have to get a domain name tho ($2.99USD @ yahoo!).

I am 13 and I have found a (perfectly legal 😛) way to get a domain name.

Ben.

Ryan F. Guest

Thanks Ben, I'm not trying to make enemies. 😀

Please keep in contact with me about that website, despite past problems, I think I will be able to purchase a website domain soon.

globalstar_ceo@yahoo.com

-Ryan

No Worries Ryan. Its all good...

Sorry for my late reply I have had some real world issues (beating some retard that hits my m8z lil bro) 😛

Ben.

BTW - go on MSN messenger if u can - mine is ben.rickard@bjwebs.net