Fly Away Simulation
Your #1 Source for Flight Simulators!

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

Flight Simulator 2004 problems

Posted: Sat May 01, 2004 2:25 am 

I just got flight simulator 2004, and when I installed it it would go to the logo screen, the screen would turn black, then it would exit to the desktop. I followed the instructions on the microsoft support website, and nothing worked except disabling the Intro movie. But now when I start flight simulator, it automatically starts me in Seattle flying a cessna. I can't access a menu because when I hit escape and then stop flying it goes to my desktop. When I try to look at my kneeboard and some other things it wont let me either.
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sat May 01, 2004 2:55 am 

First your system specs would help a lot.
Do you have the latest drivers for your video and sound card. Do you have SP1 (assuming you have XP) and DirectX. If you are up to date with all of your "windows updates" you don't need SP1.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;sp

It also sounds as if you didn't get a good install. Either reinstall it over itself or uninstall and reinstall.

Check to see if you have too many programs running in the background, sometimes the "auto install" of Norton AV will crash the game.

Let us know how you do.

Posted: Sat May 01, 2004 3:47 am 

a pentium 4, 1.6 gig processor, a soundmax soundcard, a radeon 9800 se videocard, oh and windows XP. I have gotten all the drivers for my vid card, but i cant find the soundcard drivers. I have direct X 9.0b, and almost no programs running in the backround, because i have been starting windows withought alll those programs I am going to try to reinstall tonight.
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sat May 01, 2004 4:19 am 

Sounds good, I hope you have at least 512mb ram, go for it and good luck.
tomthetank
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:12 am 

Posted: Sat May 01, 2004 3:25 pm 

Well, I reinstalled and have the same exact problem, it wont even let me see a menu, it just starts with me in a cessna on a runway in seattle. I have 640 Mb RAM, and have gotten the latest of my video and audio card drivers. I have no problems with other games, such as Battlfield Vietnam, or any other games. Would you suggest I contact Microsoft Support?
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sat May 01, 2004 4:03 pm 

I have the feeling we're missing something very basic here, I guess the best thing to do is to contact MS. I'm sorry that you have to do that.

Posted: Sat May 01, 2004 4:10 pm 

Alright, well thanks for all your help anyway!
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sat May 01, 2004 4:33 pm 

Lets try one more time. Uninstall the sim and go into "my documents" and delete the folder in there also.
Make certain that your computer is clean by going to "search" files and folders" and feeding in "flight" and deleting anything left over that the uninstall didn't catch.
Now reinstall it again.

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:52 pm 

I'm having the EXACT same problem, except that I've been running FS2004 on my computer for 6 months and this problem just started, suddenly, last week. I've also tried everything Microsoft's website suggested. Even if I disable the introduction, it starts with a cessna in Seattle, and I can't access the kneeboard or menus. It's been running fine up until now, and I can't think of anything I've changed or added to my system at the time FS2004 started doing this. I'm quite upset about it. I was even thinking about buying a new copy of the game but since you are having this problem trying to load the game for the first time, I'm not going to try that. Someone out there has to know what the deal is. I have a 6 month old computer, Pentium 4 2.8GHz, that has no problems running any other programs.
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:00 pm 

Buying a new copy won't solve a thing. It sounds as if something is corrupted in your sim and the entire sim needs to be reinstalled.
If you do that follow what I said above about deleting the My Documents folder (that cause's the most problems )and do the search.
By the way, when you post again let us know more about your computer, amount of memory, video card and drivers etc.
Good luck and be patient, I know it's easy to say but most problems have a simple solution, just finding it can prove exasperating.
Thumbs Up!

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:21 pm 

Thanks for trying to help!
I uninstalled FS2004 again and did searches for any FS related files. There wasn't a flight sim file in My Documents or anywhere on the computer. The problem still exists. I've tried a clean boot and ending all processes that are not essential to run Windows. So, I don't think any background programs are corrupting FS2004. I reinstalled the newest version of DirectX. I can run FS2004 if I turn off the introduction, but then the game starts at the default flight. Which would be fine, except that when I try to access the kneeboard, either by the keyboard shortcut or the 'check' button on the panel, the game closes and it returns to my desktop. Here's the info about my computer. Again, it's a fairly new Sony Vaio, Pentium 4 @ 2.8GHz, 512 MB Ram, Radeon 9200 Display, SoundMAX Digital Audio. Like I said, everything has been fine for almost 6 months. All of a sudden, It's gone. I really can't think of anything new or different on the computer that could have corrupted it. Thanks again
tomthetank
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:59 pm 

Confused How about system restore?

Its strange that you can load the sim without the intro?

Has your pc had a bump? May have dislodged something

Try reseating the memory

After a crash to desktop run the eventviewer (hit run and type eventvwr.msc )

That may point you in the right direction

TTT
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:04 am 

Have you loaded any new programs or made any changes to your computer, new screen saver, theme etc. before this started.
Take a look at this and see if it helps.
If you are using a joystick, delete it in the device manager and let Windows reinstall it, delete anyting that has to do with it and reinstall it also, program or drivers.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;837195

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:24 am 

I did a system restore to the week before this happened. Everything seems fine now! Thanks for the willingness to help!
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:07 am 

That sounds great, now you have to figure out Dont Know what you did that week to cause this problem. If you added anything at all to your computer. Think
Happy to hear it, enjoy! Thanks for letting us know! Thumbs Up!

Radar

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:39 pm 

I have the same problem - The app starts, the splash screen appears and then it dies. I installed/reinstalled. I upgraded components (directx, etc). I waved a dead chicken over my computer. I finally called MS Support and spent more money on the phone call than I did on the software. Still no luck. So you guys are saying I need to reinstall the operating system to get this to work???
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:28 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
I have the same problem - The app starts, the splash screen appears and then it dies. I installed/reinstalled. I upgraded components (directx, etc). I waved a dead chicken over my computer. I finally called MS Support and spent more money on the phone call than I did on the software. Still no luck. So you guys are saying I need to reinstall the operating system to get this to work???

Damn, the chicken should have worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When you say that "it dies" I don't know if it crashes, Windows crashes or what.
Try this.

Uninstall it and go to "My Documents" and make sure that the folder in there is gone.
Then go to "search" and make sure that you have the "hidden Folders" box checked.
Feed in "flight" and see what comes up and delete it if it has to do with the Flight Sim.
Completely cleansing your system of it and reinstalling it should work.
If not then come back and list all of your system specs and we'll work from there.
Good luck.

Radar

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:17 pm 

This is something which worked fine until a few weeks ago. I just got around this weekend trying to seriously fix it. I tried cleansing the system and doing a reinstall. I tried following the steps outlined in the MS Knowledge Base article you mentioned - and recommended by MS support. The splash screen appears and then it disappears - no error message, no crash message. The only clue I have found is in the application log using Computer Management utility. I sent this to MS Support as well, but they had no clue as to what this meant...And you are right, the dead chicken normally works.

Event Type: Error
Event Source:
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 7/6/2004
Time: 11:51:04 AM
User: N/A
Computer: YOUR-W92P4BHLZG
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( )
cannot be found. The local computer may not have the
necessary registry information or message DLL files to
display messages from a remote computer. You may be
able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this
description; see Help and Support for details. The
following information is part of the event: 7.
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:54 pm 

Many times it can be a video card driver, use a driver cleaner and reinstall the latest drivers for your card.

http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

Did you try "System Restore", going back a month or so.
If not then the only thing since you deleted everything to do with the sim is to do a clean install of Windows. How long has it been since you've done it, once a year isn't bad timing.
Big pain backing everything you want but in the end it's worth the trouble.
I just replaced a dying h/d and it's like a new machine, Widows runs fast and smooth.

Radar

DominoPhoenix

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:15 pm 

Well, I have a problem with MFS2004. Not only with it but my little sis too. She was trying to uninstall the game when she cancelled uninstallation and now, I cannot play the game, cannot reinstall it, cannot uninstall it either. Any suggestions?
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:13 pm 

Go through "Search" and slowly find everything that has to do with the sim, clean your registry also.
Check and see about the folder in "my documents" and get rid of that also.
Then you can try to install it.
If nothing works the best bet is to reinstall windows and start fresh.

Radar

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:27 pm 

I had this problem - slightly rubbish, isn't it ?

A Microsoft game on a Microsoft operating system...

Anyway, I found this:

Disabling the intro movie & starting in a windowed mode worked for me...