Fly Away Simulation

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

Starting to get lots of FS9 program crashes.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Pro Member First Officer
HowardsRock First Officer

Can someone help me? FS9 seems to crash to desktop just about every other flight nowadays. It ran perfect for so long! I was just halfway through a BEAUTIFUL flight to Ft. Lauderdale from KDCA when I tried to update enroute weather in ActiveRadar (supplied by ActiveSky)...and you guessed it. I got the dreaded "We're sorry, but this program has encountered a problem and must now close" message.

It happens at random times and during random events. Sometimes I don't even have to touch anything for it to crash to desktop. What's going on? It ran beautifully for a LONG time until just recently.

Can you help? What do you need to know? I am running FS9 with Ultimate Terrain, FSPassengers, SqwaukBox, and ActiveSky installed and running.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It sounds as if you are overheating.
Remove the side of the case and clean the dust from the fans.
Check the CPU (heatsink) it gets dust caked in the vanes.
Do a good cleaning and if you like add a fan in the rear of the computer. It'll run under $20 and make a world of difference.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
edr1073 Captain

HowardsRock,

Along the same lines as what RadarMan has stated. How old are the components of your system. You may have some parts that are at the end of their life? Just suggesting. A good cleaning goes a long way. I usually clean my case and heatsinks and other related components every month to three months. This depends on how much dry air is at your location. This builds up static and the dust bunnies are attracted to the components.

Thumbs Up!

Regards,
Ed
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Pro Member First Officer

I thought software crashes were always related to that...software.

In the error report located in the event viewer, it says ntdll.dll was the faulting module.

How can dust buildup cause a software malfunction??

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

HowardsRock wrote:

I thought software crashes were always related to that...software.

In the error report located in the event viewer, it says ntdll.dll was the faulting module.

How can dust buildup cause a software malfunction??

When any program attempts to access a memory location and can not do so, it crashes. While it can be a software problem, excessive heat can cause the program instructions to become corrupted, causing the program to try to access a memory location it shouldn't.

Another possibility is a flaky memory module.

CrashGordon
CEO, Omega-Air Virtual airlines

Last edited by CrashGordon on Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Captain
edr1073 Captain

HowardsRock,

That sheds a whole other light on things. Do have Win2K or XP? the ntdll.dll is windows operating system file and needed most definately for the OS to operate. It could still be heat that causes it. At worse case you may have to reinstall your Windows version, whatever that may be. The heat relation to this is that your hard drive(s) may be too hot to operatate properly. You can get PCI slotted fans that will cool your hard drive. Just a suggestion only you know what your situation is.

Regards,
Ed
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

I had a similar problem with my hdd over heating so i installed one of these..

Made a world of difference.

Pro Member First Officer

I am running XP Home. The computer and components are less than 5 years old. My video card is brand new, and the computer rarely has issues with software crashes (unless it's running FS). I'll clean out the dust when I get back home today. We'll approach this from the least expensive solution to the most expensive, and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

A few thoughts...

You have not yet mentioned the amount of RAM in your PC. You can actually scratch by with 512RAM if you're not running programs in the background and if you're running fs9 clean -- without scenery or other graphics intensive add-ons.
The situation changes once you've got all the add-ons you mentioned installed. In other words, a relatively small amount of RAM might have been sufficient in the beginning but now just doesn't cut the mustard any more.

Your PC is less than 5 years old but your gfx card is new. As others in this thread have suggested, the drivers for the card might need updating, especially if someone else installed the card for you since you have no way of knowing which drivers were or weren't installed.

Pro Member First Officer

I installed the new graphics card myself for the sole purpose of running FS. The drivers could need updating, but somehow I doubt that is the problem. A few months have passed between the time I purchased the card and the time these crashes started happening.

And I have 1 GB of RAM, which I would think is more than enough to run what I have.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Since you installed the gfx card yourself, you would have installed the drivers off the CD that came with the card. Though at this moment possibly not the most recent drivers - they should be allright and not cause your system to crash.
I agree that 1GB of RAM should be sufficient to run fs9, at the same time I think that if you are running too many programs in the background - 1GB might just not be enough.
I'm trying to get to the bottom of this as well, too many members recently have complained about the same problems and no-one has come up with a solution yet.

Frankly, I'm becoming more and more suspicious of the fs9.1 Update. One example: Many of us are now running MS AntiSpyware -- how can we be sure that this doesn't clash with fs9.1 Update or vice versa? It wouldn't be the first time that two Microsoft applications are clashing.

If indeed my idea is so outrageous, I wish someone would come along, correct me and enlighten us.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I agree with most of the above suggestions.
But i think that we start make things more complicate than probably are...
My opinion in general is that if a system works great and suddenly start crashes there are some reasons that we have to focus for the troubleshooting.
First is the hardware.RadarMans thought is a very logic one.
Second, a program that recently we have install and runs on background spending valuable sources of our system.
Third,an add-on which probably can cause this problem.
Add-ons for sceneries,weather etc,are power hungry and they can cause a load of problems.The fact that the GFX has been upgraded doesnt mean that this system (if its 3-5years old) can run in extreme settings.

I think that if we see the full specs of this system we could discuss it better.
We also dont know the graphics settings...for example,i accept that until yesterday you could have extreme settings in your display settings and you have no problems,but if today you install an add-on that is power hungry?
If your system try to cover the needs of this new add-on and cant do it?

If i was in your position dear HowardsRock i will un-install everything related to FS,i would clean my system from dust,from useless programs(if you have)i will scan about virus,spams,i will clean the registries,defrag the HD,restart it and make a fresh installation of FS and then an one by one installation of my add-ons.Avoid uselles add-ons.

My personal opinion. Wink

Pro Member Captain
edr1073 Captain

I have posted this before so I will mention it again. I had crashes just like are being desricbed here. What I did was partition a large drive into three equal parts as equal as I could make them. I put the system stuff O/S, outlook,etc..., then I installed FS9 on one of the partitions. My theory is that there isn't interference because of the partition. Now we all know that a partion can collapse. It has been a year since I did this and you know what...???? No crashes. All I ask is that you consider my options. It is so easy to do. The only thing that is operating in my theory is the NIC card to get the weather updates. There I said my piece again and I won't mention it again. Of course you ask me to then I will.

Have a good day everybody.

Cheers! Punk

Regards,
Ed
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Pro Member First Officer
fourby First Officer

Could this solve the problem ???

Updated FSUIPC for users of MS Flight Sim 9.1 (Via Microsoft’s official patch)

Users who have updated there installation of Microsoft’s FS2004 to Version 9.1 via Microsoft’s official patch may find that Flight Simulator will crash upon loading due the updated version of Flight Simulator being incompatible with the version of FSUIPC supplied with many of Just Flights products.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

WOW!! Great find! This could be indeed the solution for many of us.
Digressing: I've gotten so sick of fs9 crashing that I installed FS2002 and CFS2 again. Both run without a glitch... and of course (just doublechecked) neither of them uses FSUIPC.
In fs9 I've got FlightOne's ATR72-500 installed which includes FSUIPC v. 3.411 from sometime in the year 2004! The latest version I've just downloaded is 3.530!

Just replaced the .dll in the Modules folder. The only thing that worries me.. there is also a .txt file for v.3411 included (I guess I can discard this one) and a 'Registration Entry' Fear

Thanks for a great find Thumbs Up!

Pro Member First Officer
fourby First Officer

I hope this will solve the problem that a few have been having with FS9 crashing. We'll have to remember where this link is for anyone having any future problems.

Last edited by fourby on Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer

I'm having REALLY bad problems now.

I took the advice of most of you guys. I spent all last night cleaning out the machine. I ran spy sweeps using 4 different anti-spyware programs (Spybot S&D, AdAware, SpywareBlaster, and SwatIt!), I cleaned out the registry using CleanMyPC, removed any and all dead links and empty folders using CCleaner, defragged both hard drives (C is the boot drive, F is the drive that has the FS program and folders (250 GB HDD)), and ran software diagnostics on all hardware (all tests passed).

I also bought and installed a cooling fan for the 250 GB HDD.

Now, FS will not load AT ALL! The splash screen comes up, and it hangs.

At first I thought it was a conflict between FS9 and ActiveSky, but then I ran FS without loading ActiveSky and got the same problem. One time, it did get past the splash screen, but it ran EXTREMELY slow and didn't show Sqwaukbox in the Modules menu.

I'm afraid I am totally screwed. Any more suggestions??

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Try rolling the system back using "System Restore" and see if that helps. You may have screwed something up in the registry.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

Radarman, wont that undo everything I did?

Pro Member First Officer

I'll try it. It's interesting to note from the Event Viewer that I didn't have a single error by FS or any add-on before 2/10/06, which is the day I installed ActiveSky.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

HowardsRock wrote:

Radarman, wont that undo everything I did?

What do you have to lose, it can't put spyware back.
It's either trying that or reinstalling the flight sim.
Radar

Pro Member First Officer

System Restore failed. Don't know why. Tried many different dates (restore points). None worked. FS still won't load. I'm stuck (and pissed).

If I have to re-install FS,

1. Will I lose all my aircraft?

2. Will I lose all my settings?

3. Will I lose my add-on functionality?

4. Do I have to UNinstall anything first?

5. What else do I need to know?

How did all this happen in the first place? Does FS just degrade over time? Seems like that's what's happened. I have never used the 9.1 patch or anything, and never really made any major changes. What gives?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

1.Yes (all the add-ons)

2.Yes

3.Yes

4.No(except if you have programs like FSManager etc.It isnt necessary to remove then but its recommended.)

5.Since you do your clean install make a back up(copy) of the entire FS folder.By doing this everytime you install something and you figure out that something goes wrong you can replace the folder with the clean one.

As far as concerns your last paragraph we can discuss till the end of time to find the reasons.Maybe a program you install recently maybe a bad installation,maybe windows maybe a load of things.

The fact that you cant restore to your system makes me thing(bad thought)that probably Windows damaged by something.Prepare yourself that after your new installation maybe FS cant run again.

Next step..Format. Crying or Very sad

Bad news,i know, but keep it on mind... Wink

My opinion of course.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Without being there to look at it no one can tell you for certain what is and what isn't wrong.
It may be one of your add-ons it may not.

I think you have a choice of uninstalling if you put the #1 disk in. It may give you a choice of saving your aircraft but if not just move the aircraft, effects and gauge folders out, uninstall and replace them when you reinstall.

When you put your add-ons back, do them one at a time and back up the folders that you use, usually the texture folder is the one that needs it most.

Yes you'll lose your settings but they aren't doing you any good now.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

HowardsRock wrote:

I'm having REALLY bad problems now.

I took the advice of most of you guys. I spent all last night cleaning out the machine. I ran spy sweeps using 4 different anti-spyware programs (Spybot S&D, AdAware, SpywareBlaster, and SwatIt!), I cleaned out the registry using CleanMyPC, removed any and all dead links and empty folders using CCleaner, defragged both hard drives (C is the boot drive, F is the drive that has the FS program and folders (250 GB HDD)), and ran software diagnostics on all hardware (all tests passed).

I also bought and installed a cooling fan for the 250 GB HDD.

Now, FS will not load AT ALL! The splash screen comes up, and it hangs.

At first I thought it was a conflict between FS9 and ActiveSky, but then I ran FS without loading ActiveSky and got the same problem. One time, it did get past the splash screen, but it ran EXTREMELY slow and didn't show Sqwaukbox in the Modules menu.

I'm afraid I am totally screwed. Any more suggestions??

I am sorry HowardsRock, but I have run out of ideas Dont Know

Last edited by Tailhook on Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

In techical suggestions there are no offended or friendly posts.
There are always opinions.
I believe that most of us are talking from personal experiences and not like experts.

Disagreements,at least in techical points,has always something to learn us.

From the other side if you dont want to post here,why you get in trouble to announce it and you dont directly PM. Wink

That was in a friendly mode. Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Pro Member First Officer

OK guys, figure this one out.

It's now working like a charm, and it's running SMOOTHER and FASTER than ever before.

I undid the system restore this afternoon and made the following two changes ONLY:

1. Upgraded FSUIPC to 3.53

2. Renamed the FS9.cfg file to FS9.backup, re-started FS (let it create a new FS9.cfg), deleted the new FS9.cfg and renamed the backup file back to FS9.cfg.

VOILA!! I'm back in the air with FSPax, ActiveSky, Ult. Terrain, and ServInfo on my way to Ft. Lauderdale!!

Turns out I HAD installed the FS9.1 patch and just didn't remember doing it originally.

Can you guys suggest some technical reasoning behind what made it work again?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

In techical suggestions there are no offended or friendly posts.
There are always opinions.
I believe that most of us are talking from personal experiences and not like experts.

Disagreements,at least in techical points,has always something to learn us.

From the other side if you dont want to post here,why you get in trouble to announce it and you dont directly PM. Wink

That was in a friendly mode. Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

My apologies Greekman72, as always, you are right of course. I shall edit my post above straight away. If it's still not within the confines of approprietness, please do not hesitate to give me a rap over the knuckles.

Friendly to you Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

HowardsRock wrote:

OK guys, figure this one out.

It's now working like a charm, and it's running SMOOTHER and FASTER than ever before.

I undid the system restore this afternoon and made the following two changes ONLY:

1. Upgraded FSUIPC to 3.53

2. Renamed the FS9.cfg file to FS9.backup, re-started FS (let it create a new FS9.cfg), deleted the new FS9.cfg and renamed the backup file back to FS9.cfg.

VOILA!! I'm back in the air with FSPax, ActiveSky, Ult. Terrain, and ServInfo on my way to Ft. Lauderdale!!

Turns out I HAD installed the FS9.1 patch and just didn't remember doing it originally.

Can you guys suggest some technical reasoning behind what made it work again?

How you undid a system restore that has failed??? Think

Upgrade of FSUIPC probably helps you.
I cant understand how the FS9.cfg back-up.replace,delete works...If i read right you back up the old,you create a new one that you delete and then you re-rename the old one... Wacko Forgive me if i dont get you right my friend and probably i misunderstand the meaning of what you write here..

I cant give an explanation further from the upgrade...

Anyway the fact is that you fly again and thats the most important... Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Thumbs Up!

Pro Member First Officer

Greekman, after loads of tries, I ended up doing a successful system restore, but only to the checkpoint created on Wednesday...didn't help. That's the undo I did on system restore.

Your understanding of what I did with the FS9.cfg file is correct. I just backed up the existing one, let FS create a new one, deleted the new one, then restored the old one. I can't explain it. Very strange.