Got to fly a real plane

Pro Member First Officer
freedspeak First Officer

Signed up for a "Discovery Flight" at the local flight school, Red Baron Aviation. For $49 I got to hop into a C172 with a flight instructor and my friend, a new pilot, in the back seat. After the run up the instructor let me taxi to and hold short, then take off the airplane. Incredible! He let me climb to around 3000' then he demonstrated some power on and power off stalls. Pretty intense. Being in a real airplane that goes into a shudder like a death throe and just stops flying is an experience to behold. He let me cruise around for a few minutes longer then we headed back. He landed it, of course, but he had me put my hands and feet lightly on the controls to feel what he was doing.

Forty nine dollars for 45 minutes of flying well spent.

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

So with zero flight experience and 49 bucks they let you do that, doesn't seem safe to me...but thats me.

Don Wood Guest

Actually, the introductory flight he described is quite safe and happens just as described with almost every such flight. The instructor sitting beside the new "pilot" is there to correct any problems before they become serious. In fact, for most flight schools, that introductory flight can be logged as the first flight lesson because the student pilot is learning-how to manipulate the controls, simple taxing, turns, orientation to stalls, and introduction to landing.

For those of you who have never really flown in the pilot's seat, almost all flight schools provide an introductory flight at a price reduced from the normal hourly rate.

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Wow,

I have my first flight next Tuesday in a Piper Tomahawk and I cant wait 😀

I hope I get a good hands on lesson like you freedspeak. Unfortunatly im paying a bit more than you though... £99. Though im sure itll be worth every penny 😀

matt7723 Guest

www.beapilot.com

For 59$, you can do the same thing he just did. Its perfectly safe, the CFI is there to correct anything you do wrong.

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Thanks but I lve in the UK

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

You are both very fortunate getting to fly real aircraft, but remember, after this experance, flight sim will never feel the same again!

Pro Member First Officer
freedspeak First Officer

I was amazed how easily everything I learned from the sim translated into real life. About the only significant difference was the amount of pressure required for the rudder pedals. The airlerons responded quickly with just a light touch. The elevators needed more of a workout on the yoke than I was used to. The trim wheel turned easily with instant results.

Did my experience ruin it for the sim? No way. It only enhanced it knowing how close to the real thing it actually is.

Pro Member Trainee
azabro Trainee

Wow, How did you feel afterward?? 😳

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

I got to fly a Piper Cherokee arround Auckland last December, and it was awesome!

Check out this post here for the full story, photos and videos: https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/9986/my-aviation-dream-came-true-contains-lots-of-pictures/

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...