Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Props

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Ive started flying with props the last day or two. In particullar the ATR-42. I think it is a much more interesting flight than a jet but I dont quite know what im doing.

Does anybody know the normal takeoff, landing, approach speeds?
What is the autofeather?

When landing after touchdown, even though ive set the throttle to idle im still getting pulled along and I have to cut the engines in order not to overrun the runway. Whats going on here?

Cheers all Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Here is the Manual/Checklist for the ATR42-500. It's for 2002 but the aircraft fly's the same.

4th down http://www.simviation.com/fs_manuals5.htm

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

That helps alot... thanks very much radar Very Happy Cheers!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Well you should have reverse thrust, use that, and brakes, use those too.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Auto feather:

With a jet engine, there's nothing in the way of the air stream that could create excess drag. But on any propeller driven aircraft, you have this (in some cases massive) propeller on the front of the engine. If the engine ever failed, this propeller will windmill, creating excess drag. This drag reduces climb rate but more importantly causes directional control problems due to asymmetrical thrust from the remaining engine. Feathering a propeller means the pitch of the blades is set so that if an engine is shut down in flight, the propeller won't windmill and create excess drag. All multi engine aircraft that have variable pitch propellers have the ability for the blades to be moved to the feather position. The ATR has an auto-feather system where if the engine torque drops below a pre-set value and the auto-feather system is armed, the blades will be feathered automatically in 5-15 seconds. Some aircraft have systems that arm themselves while others must be turned on before takeoff. Normally the system is turned off some time after takeoff. Auto feather simplifies engine out procedures and ensures that the failed engine is secured quickly during an engine failure during takeoff. Smile

ATR-42 Performance numbers:
http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=atr42perf.zip&CatID=root

File:'atr42perf.zip'

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Cheers ears Very Happy

I was reading that thinking WTF is he on about as when I have the engine on full and autofeather armed the light comes on. Thats until I got to the takeoff part. I thought it was some sort of boost lol.

Thanks very muchly Very Happy

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

A Liittle update.

When I first get the aircraft onscreen, the torque gauge is zero and when I increase throttle power, nothing happens. I have to reselect the aircraft and then start the engines to get it to work. Ive tried stopping and restarting the engines but that doesnt work.

Also as soon as I take the parking brakes off then engines start pulling me along at up to 40 knots but the thrust levers are at idle. This makes taxiing a nightmare and push backs impossible.

Any ideas?

Thanks Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Check calibration of throttle axis. Make sure sensitivity is close to or at max. Null zone should be very small. Smile

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Yup thats all fine Sad

I notice in the throttle quadrant the throttles are not all the way to idle, at least it doesnt look that way.

spuddi Guest

post a link to aircraft that you download
someone might load it and see if its a glich

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain