Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Landing...again!!

cwilson87 Guest

Hi,

Right this is my second time on this topic but it's really bugging me and I'm sorry if it irritates you. I have practised short flights from Manchester to Heathrow to practise on my landing..to no avail.

I have followed this through from the above thread..

Second Guide:
1. When ATC says something like "Wife Beater 767, you are 32 Miles away. Turn right heading 105, descend and maintain 2,500 feet, cleared ILS runway 36R Approach". You have to click on your MAP icon in your cockpit. Then, move your mouse over the destination airport. Mind you, the airport MUST have the ILS feathers (these are the green things that point to the runway). Double click on the airport. A list will show up. Scroll down the list until you see a chart that shows Runway numbers. Find 36R, or whatever your runway is. You look to the right and see a radio frequency. We'll use 100.100 because its easy to remember. Don't forget the frequency.

2. Open up your Radio Stack, and enter in 100.100 in the NAV1 Radio, usually the rightmost radio number is the one that can be messed with. After you enter it 100.100, using the mouse wheel or clicking it. Press the button that looks like this somewhat, its in the middle of the 2 radio displays <-----> That changes the NAV1 Radio frequency from whatever it was, to what it is now (100.100)

3.Turn on the NAV1 Radio by clicking the switch at the bottom of the radio stack, unless its already on, like with the Lear Jet.

4. If you have Autopilot, and you are using GPS to follow waypoints, switch the NAV/GPS button back to NAV!!!! YOU CANT FORGET TO DO THAT!!! YOU'LL BURN AND DIE IF YOU DONT!!

5. Follow ATC directions to approach. Now, when you approach the Runway, you will see the pink arrows near your attitude indicator move...usually heading first, then Altitude. Simply fly in the direction and attitude of the pink arrows until they center themselves, that means you're on the glideslope!

6. If you want to use the autopilot to fly the approach, simply follow steps 1-4, and then click the APPR button on the autopilot panel.

I did absolutely everything there and when I select the APP button prior to the runway the plane goes mental and does anything but follow the glidescope. The only thing I noticed was that ATC did not give me information for landing although my radiostack was autotuned to the correct runway. My GPS/NAV switch was set to NAV and I had put the ICAO code into the GPS.

Help!

I forgot to say, I'm using a boeing 737.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Looks like your doing it correctly. If I may, let me note a few items.

1. I have noticed that when you select AP, the altitude hold will disengage. It shouldn't but it does. Sometimes the 737 will not track the GS very well. I believe that both issues are a glitch in the program. Try the ILS at a different airport and see if it's better. Watch for disengagement of altitude hold.

2.No such thing as auto tune. ATC will not automatically give you landing instructions(default MSFS 2004).

3. Radios are always on. The nav button on the audio panel turns on the audio so that you can ID the nav radio by Morse code signal.

The fact that you have the correct airport in the GPS has no effect on flying a ILS. Good idea for situational awareness but no effect on the nav radios.
🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

just a thought; if you're flying a boeing 737, why not hand fly the approach? every 737 i've flown has been easy to fly - just stay keep it on the glidescope and use autothrottle.

Pro Member First Officer
George (OrlandoGeorge) First Officer

Maybe download the Greg 737 auto-land panel and give it a try. Watch how the A/C lines up, decends and lands itself. After a while you could flip off the auto pilot and flair it yourself and set her down nicely. -Anyway, it's a chance to get a bit of sit back and watch the process time. --Just an idea. 🙄 🙂

Pro Member Trainee
azabro Trainee

Practise, Practise and MORE Practise, The only way to get good at the most exciting part of the game is practise. Remember Practise Makes PERFECT!!!