john (verygom) First Officer

(especially for Insight)
Celebrations marking 70 years of the spitfire ➡

5 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Cool!

Thanks Verygom, an interesting story!

I wonder if it is the 'Grace' Spitfire, ML407 doing the flight? Last I heard she was having issues with insurance (I am a member of the supporter's club) which isn't good 😞 Her current sponsors AON have changed their company policy or something and EU regs have changed upping premiums... fookin European sh*te!!

Speaking of stupid european laws. My parents just bought a new range cooker, it stands about 4 feet high - is about 3 or 4 foot wide and 2 foot deep... apparently because of EU regulations - they have to chain it to the wall..... why?

in case it falls on someone.... what is the world coming to? This is just ridiculous, it would have to break the laws of physics to fall over!

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

Speaking of stupid European laws. My parents just bought a new range cooker, it stands about 4 feet high - is about 3 or 4 foot wide and 2 foot deep... apparently because of EU regulations - they have to chain it to the wall..... why?

I'm guessing that it has an oven or other door on the front that in the past, some child has climbed upon and turned the cooker over on top of themselves. Most rules, and it is so true in aviation, are written in blood. Meaning, after something has already happened. 😞

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Good story about the Spitfire. I love this aircraft. There is one in the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force. I think I'll go there today; I go quite often. They have a large assortment of aircraft, it's the best museum I've ever visited. More than a few British aircraft are on display. The Spitfire is a truly great aircraft that,along with the Hurricane, helped to save Britten during WWII. To the brave men that flew them, I salute. 🙂

Last edited by CRJCapt on Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

The Spitfire didn't do it on it's own Wink

It was the combination of the Hurricane and the Spitfire that saved us! That and the many many brave young pilots who flew in these beautiful machines.

One for the bombers, one for the fighters 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I fixed my second post above. 🙂