Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

i hate these stupid things...

Ryan F. Guest

Ugh, a computer virus.. i HATE these things. MadMadMadMadMad

okay.. so my computer has been running sluggish lately, and programs and/or files open very slowly when double-clicked, sometimes not opening at all. also -- forget about gaming.. like I said, it takes forever for FS9 to even open.. if it does. and I know it's a virus because ctrl + alt + delete doesn't even work. ahh! so frustrating. and I don't even know where i got it because i have antivirus running.

any suggestions on how to get rid of this thing? i did a system scan and repair twice (the one by Norton antivirus)

please don't say "system recovery" ... those words haunt me... i've had to do that once before because someone messed with system settings and everything was screwed to hell and back. it's such a process.. with re-loading all the games and all...

any suggestions at all? i'd appreciate any help

thanks in advance Confused

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

This won't rid you of whatever virus(es) you have. But for future peace of mind I would upgrade to a properly working antivirus such as Avast!

It's FREE!!

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

i had that same thing! used 98% of the cpu all the time Evil or Very Mad
how i fixed it? i noticed that the programme takes about 30 seconds to start when the computer gets to the desktop. so you can used control alt delete in those 30 seconds Very Happy in the task manager go to processes and you will see a programme running called win update.exe
this is the problem Shocked so simply change the programmes that start up using
the msconfig menu. thats all i know i did. dont have too many more details Sad

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I think that your problem has nothing to do with virus.You have installed something (or more than one thing)that creates this problem.

Try to get rid of all the useless programs-games you have installed in your machine.

Run Spybot Arrow
http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?tag=srch&nid=1&qt=spybot&tg=dl-20&search.x=23&search.y=10
ad-aware Arrow
http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=ad-aware&tg=dl-20
registry mechanic or registry cleaner Arrow
http://www.downseek.com/download/21692.asp

to clean your system form spams and from unnecessary registries.

Clean up your hard drive.Defrag your hard drive.

Get FSAutostart Arrow
https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2948/fsautostart-v11/
manager in order to keep only the necessary programs running on background while you running FS.

I think that something spends your memory and slows down your system.

Another solution is to try to restore your system some days back and check what happens.

You must be a friend with the words restore,format etc...These words are part of the game too... Wink

BigFish13 Guest

It is likely although not certain that you don't have a virus. You probably have some form of adware or many versions. They are simply little files that generate ads on your PC and when you get enough of them, your PC simply slows down and locks up.

If you are running Norton (and have paid for updates) you should be fine but adware is a different story.

You can go to any company (mine included) and get a free adware scan. Stopzilla is a very good product and it offers a free trial. To clean up your headaches you are going to have to pay for the product in the end.

http://www.stopzilla.com

Arthur
http://www.pcsecurityshield.com

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Type msconfig in the Run prompt, then select start up tab. You should keep an eye on the programs that start with Windows. You should know what each entry is, do a google search of an entry if you don't. Too many entries will slow your computer. Smile

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

I recommand you use Acronis True Image to back up your system. It will restore your system to the condition when you backed up. It's just like cloning from the saved image. I find it extremely handy when you make your system filled with drivers, programs, addons.......
Now I dont even bother with anti-virus, whenever I find the system running crazy, I just restore the system, it only takes a few minutes......
Acronis True Image costs 50 bucks, but it gives you peace of mind, and no more money on anti-virus Smile

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I agree that Acronics as Norton Ghost are very useful programs but you need to make an image of your system when it runs properly.If you have problems you make an image with the problems including.

My opinion is that you have to make an image of your system just after format and finish the installation of all the programs you want.Only this moment the system is fresh and clear.

The best way is to create often some restore points and roll back to them if you have problems.
Also if you have to install something you are not sure what it will cause to your system ,or you are suspicious about it, is to before installation to create a restore point.
Of course restoration doesnt mean that the program you install deleted from your system.It is just putted in, lets say...carantine, and it cant effects anything(in most of times)

My opinion of course. Wink

Ryan F. Guest

Thanks for your help guys.. now I just gotta try all these different options. Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

brownbox wrote:

i had that same thing! used 98% of the cpu all the time Evil or Very Mad
how i fixed it? i noticed that the programme takes about 30 seconds to start when the computer gets to the desktop. so you can used control alt delete in those 30 seconds Very Happy in the task manager go to processes and you will see a programme running called win update.exe
this is the problem Shocked so simply change the programmes that start up using
the msconfig menu. thats all i know i did. dont have too many more details Sad

Yes, you sure don't want to have to worry about those pesky security updates that Windows might need.

Now, I'll wait to see how many people call me rude for pointing out how truly bad your advice was. Evil or Very Mad

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

I agree that Acronics as Norton Ghost are very useful programs but you need to make an image of your system when it runs properly.If you have problems you make an image with the problems including.

My opinion is that you have to make an image of your system just after format and finish the installation of all the programs you want.Only this moment the system is fresh and clear.

The best way is to create often some restore points and roll back to them if you have problems.
Also if you have to install something you are not sure what it will cause to your system ,or you are suspicious about it, is to before installation to create a restore point.
Of course restoration doesnt mean that the program you install deleted from your system.It is just putted in, lets say...carantine, and it cant effects anything(in most of times)

Greekman, Acronis can do differential backup, meaning making separate backup image files after the first backup image. So you can always choose which image to restore to. When restoring to the previous stage, the program deletes the patition, then restore the previous backup after it creates a new patition on the harddrive. so virus cannot survive when the patition is erased and re-created.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

nottobe wrote:

Greekman72 wrote:

Greekman, Acronis can do differential backup, meaning making separate backup image files after the first backup image. So you can always choose which image to restore to. When restoring to the previous stage, the program deletes the patition, then restore the previous backup after it creates a new patition on the harddrive. so virus cannot survive when the patition is erased and re-created.

Thanks for the info my friend Wink Thumbs Up!

Pro Member Chief Captain

Ryan F. wrote:

Thanks for your help guys.. now I just gotta try all these different options. Very Happy

Trying to cure a problem without knowing what it is, is going to waste a lot of your time. You might be lucky and nail it the first thing, but you might not.

Close all the regular apps you have running. Then RUN taskmgr.exe and look through the running processes. List the one(s) that appear to be eating up your CPU time. Google them to see what you can find out or list them here so anyone familiar with them can identify them. Also let us know how many processes running and what the average CPU and memory useage is.

Once you know what the problem is, you can then decide if the program should be kept or not.

Also, are you seeing an unusual amount of disk or modem activity?

Ryan F. Guest

Actually guys.. it was the Lampsy Trojan virus. This I found out because I checked under "running processes" before the virus shut down my ability to use "ctrl + alt + delete" (thanks to brownbox's advice.. 2nd comment down Very Happy ) It was there I found one process that wasn't normal... "b.exe"

I thought "wtf is b.exe??"

so I looked it up and found it to be a low-risk virus called the "Lampsy Trojan" virus. Although it doesn't do major damage to your hard drive (thank god).. it does use up almost half the system resources while it's running... just by itself (which explains the sluggish computing).

Anyway.. i found the bugger.. it was hiding in C:\WINDOWS\b.exe
i deleted it, and everything checks out normal now. thanks for your help everyone.

just one more thing.. anyone got advice on backing up your system.. and all the files? because i learned a lesson here... if it were a much more destructive virus I'd be in a lot more trouble right now.

thanks again guys. Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

We thank you for let us know the solution of your problem.We all learn through these discussions. Wink Thumbs Up!

Ryan F. Guest

it doesn't seem to end... well, my computer is running better now, i suppose, but all of the sudden, I can't access email accounts... on any site. I tried MSN and yahoo... and after entering my email/password it says the site cannot be found Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

i'm getting fed up with this sh- .. stuff lol

Ryan F. Guest

ah.. nevermind that last post. it was a firewall issue. Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain

Ryan F. wrote:

ah.. nevermind that last post. it was a firewall issue. Very Happy

Glad you found the problem.