Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Why?

I have been flying on the flight simulator now for approximately 3 months. I hand fly the 737's on both take off and when ATC to start descending for my approach into my destination. I can land really well for flying for only 3 months but im having trouble properly lining up on the centre line of the localizer. I set the ILS frequency to NAV1 and set the heading on the hsi but when i centre the heading into the airport and am on the proper glideslope etc with configuration to land, the plane veers of the centreline and i have to keep reajusting, even when flying in total calm weather. I use yaw damper hold switch etc but still have to keep re-correcting myself. Can anyone help me to a perfect landing?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

You need to put the ILS freq into both nav 1 or nav 2 to get the ILS to work.

Solotwo wrote:

You need to put the ILS freq into both nav 1 or nav 2 to get the ILS to work.

no what im saying is once on localizer of the ILS frequency and the localizer is centred, the plane veerys of slightly and i have to keep correcting it, how can i line up with the centreline and keep it there?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

What airport code and runway? Sometimes the ILS is not correct in FS. Also tell me what heading you're setting in the HSI course needle. It has no effect but for proper orientation. Smile

Pro Member First Officer
Bartholomew First Officer

Set the ILS frequency into NAV1 and make sure it's active. Also make sure your GPS/NAV switch is set to NAV. You shouldn't use the heading hold in order to line up with the runway, but keep looking at the localizer needle. As soon as it starts centering switch on the APP (approach) mode on the autopilot. It will take a little time for the autopilot to estabilish the aircraft on the LOC. You can switch it off when the glideslope comes alive and then hand fly the approach. I think the default 737 needs the yaw dumper OFF on approach, or otherwise you won't be able to crab if you have crosswind.

All you have to do when you're established on the localizer is make small corrections in heading to keep the LOC needle centered. It only takes a lot of practise. I don't think even Rod Machado can line up with the centerline and keep it there, so what I'm saying is that there's no "trick" that could help you do that.

Practise!

Razz

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

There are quite a few ILS Approachs that are totally off, gets annoying.