Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

AMAZING FREEWARE

Ryan F. Guest

This is exactly what I was talking about in my response to Hinch's post about Abacus add-ons (payware). I couldn't believe this aircraft was a piece of freeware. The detail is incredible, and it includes everything from an excellent panel to it's own set of sounds. This, again, reinforces my question - why buy abacus aircraft when this beautiful plane is absolutely free?

It may not be a modern jetliner, but this Antonov AN-24 is too good to not share with someone. The virtual cockpit and cabin detail is worth the download alone.. i attached some pics. I highly suggest you guys download this and take it for a spin.

Download at http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=39106
Screenshots are below.

ENJOY! Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Good find Thumbs Up! This looks like Dimitri Samborski to me. Check out some of his other creations Arrow

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=dimitri+samborski&CatID=fs2004ac&Go=Search

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

Here's something you guys might like.
The photo was taken at an old deserted airport on Grenada by a friend of mine who was down there. Looks like the Cubans just left it there after the invasion.

She's parked pretty close to the beach, so the salt air has taken its toll..

Sad thing to look at really.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/mhoratio/cuban1.jpg

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Here is his website.

http://samdimdesign.free.fr/

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

yeah is stuff's awwwwesome!

Ryan F. Guest

Russian planes are so different from the others... you can single out a Russian-built plane anywhere.

Some of these Russian planes.. heh, idk if i'd put my trust into, lol.
(not to sound stereotypical)

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

i was reading about a chinese fly by wire plane...chinese electronics? eep!

Pro Member Captain
Canyon (NoWorries) Captain

hinch wrote:

i was reading about a chinese fly by wire plane...chinese electronics? eep!

American electronics, Russian electronics, Chinese electronics...all made in Taiwan.

Shocked

Ryan F. Guest

good point about the electronics, lol Laughing

i was talking about the actual planes tho... eh.. idk if i'd trust a lot of those russian planes.. especially the older ones. that an-24 is nice in the sim... but in real life it must be like flying a rattling tin can!

eh..however, i've never seen a russian plane in person or been aboard one.. so who am i to judge?

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

thanks Ryan F, im downloading it now
I wonder if i'll be able to fly this, lol, its my first russian jet on FS Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Well it is a prop. Wink

Ryan F. Guest

lol.. this is one of the hardest planes I have flown in FS9. the realism is killing me! Laughing

first of all.. it was made in the 60's, so there's guages EVERYWHERE.
2nd.. everything is written in Russian.
3rd.. I have no idea how to work the autopilot (and trust me.. there is one, lol)
4th.. it handles like a brick!

i just flew Kiev to Minsk VFR (since i can't work the autopilot, lol) .. and i had to keep it under manual control for an hour and 20 minutes. the other thing is.. i had to sort of cheat and add a GPS box to the pop-up instruments. (although in real life i've seen a picture of an AN-24 cockpit fitted with a GPS -- see below to the attached image)

i don't know how they flew these things back then!!

that being said, the actual aircraft model itself is beautiful, a work of freeware art that should be cherished Very Happy

Real AN-24 cockpit.. with GPS.
(The GPS is mounted right in the center there..)

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

[quote="Ryan F."]

first of all.. it was made in the 60's, so there's guages EVERYWHERE.
3rd.. I have no idea how to work the autopilot (and trust me.. there is one, lol)

I concure, downloaded this plane and it took all of farnborough's runway for it reach Vr. Very difficult to operate and i doubt i'll be able to do a scheduled flight but it's a nice change from the old 777
Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Agree.Even though its a great looking craft and it has a great detailed panel and a great VC view its difficult to set it-up cause of the language... Sad

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

learn cryllic Very Happy

actually i'm crap, but i can get round the avsim.ru site which boasts some interesting finds! russian is one of the easier languages to learn in my opinion as it's quite logical.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

that's amazing ^

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Back to the Antonov - antonov_an24rv.zip.

If you have problems with the handling you should get the Patch.

This patch corrects problems with the panel (navigation, autopilot, engines start-up), provides an improved flight dynamics and brings some changes to the visual model (cabin windows, engine intakes, new kitchen etc). You must have the original Antonov An-24RV installed on your hard drive. This patch is fully compatible with the existing textures set, so all the repaints stay valid. New gauges by S.Gritsevsky, dynamics by P.Yashin, model by D.Samborski

Arrow http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=an24_patch1.zip&Author=&CatID=root

Ryan F. Guest

Thanks Tailhook.. I downloaded that before but never loaded it.

..heh, i dont know why.. i think i got sidetracked and forgot about it Laughing

About that TU-114.. nice model and all.. amazing realism.. but that looks like it's from the age of the dinosaurs, lol.

You know.. the types of planes that required an army of pilots to crew them. lol

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

hinch wrote:

learn cryllic Very Happy

actually i'm crap, but i can get round the avsim.ru site which boasts some interesting finds! russian is one of the easier languages to learn in my opinion as it's quite logical.

I believe so.My mother speaks Russian fluently(to be precise she was,before she retired,a teacher of Russian philology)and i accuse myself for never get tired on trying to learn some words far from the basics.

Although i can imagine her reaction if i call her and ask:''Mama...can you help me set the AP to my Antonov...????'' Laughing Laughing Laughing