Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

737 Landing

Odyssey Guest

Does anyone else have trouble not crashing the Boeing 737? My approach is good as I try to use ILS normally but I always end up droping short of the runway or dropping like a stone onto the runway!!! I always crash. Can anybody give me any help on speed and approach etc so I can fly this plane properly?

Sad Od

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

I normally always fly the default 737 with a different panel. Make sure you are about 130/140kts on touchdown, use autothrottle if you have to but dont forget to disengage it after touchdown.

Pro Member First Officer
Mustangfreak First Officer

I dont have any problems landing with the 737. I use auto throttle and have the mouse hovering over theswitch so when I touch down I just click my mouse and press F2 while braking and using the speed brakes.

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

dont completely throttle down with those heavy aircraft. unlike prop aircraft jets will not glide to the runway and tend to "drop like a brick" keep your throttle at around 30% Wink

Odyssey Guest

Is that 130-140KIAS with full flaps?? Also, what's the difference between Mach and KIAS? When and why do you change over to Mach?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Odyssey wrote:

Is that 130-140KIAS with full flaps?? Also, what's the difference between Mach and KIAS? When and why do you change over to Mach?

I cant answer to you for the first question since im not flying with jets so much but everytime i do it i check the kneeboard.There i find all the infos about the take-off,landing ,taxiing procedures and much much more. Have a look to this for the second one Arrow

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/7704/mach-vs-speed-hold-switch-my-final-post/

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

I change to mach about 26,000 depending on the weather. You will see the IAS display start to drop which is slightly worrying if you dont know about it. Its to do with air pressure or something like that.

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Oh to answer your first question... Appently you should only use full flaps when landing on a short runway and should normally only use 30. But I always use full flaps as FS passengers gives me penalty otherwise.

Odyssey Guest

Roger that Captain and thank you.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

KTAS is knots(nautical mile) True Airspeed. This is the true or actual speed of the aircraft thru the air, not to confused with KIAS which is the indicated speed on your airspeed indicator. As you climb to higher altitudes, there will be a greater difference in the two speeds because of lower air density and temperature as you climb.

Mach is the aircrafts TAS expressed in relation to the speed of sound at that altitude. The speed of sound varies by temperature, traveling slower at low temperature. Normally shown as Mach .74, M .8. Civilian aircraft won't exceed the speed of sound which would be Mach 1.0. Most aircraft have airspeed limits that are based on KIAS at low altitude and Mach at higher altitudes. You should transition to Mach approximately 28,000 ft. (Not exact). Above FL280, TAS will decrease as you climb at a constant Mach number. Normally, temperature decreases with altitude until about FL 350 where it remains constant well above the maximum altitude of civilian aircraft. Smile

Pro Member Trainee
Barry (chinabaz) Trainee

So it's not just me!

Liek you I have had problems getting teh B737-400 down on the ground without crashing, Exclamation

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

the default 737 is about the easiest plane you can fly in the game.

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

the defaults are always crap lol, ask anyone compare it too a a freeware plane like ifdg, and a decent panel from avism and you can see how many corners they have cut -.-

Pro Member Captain
Canyon (NoWorries) Captain

Brownbox and Doyley bring up important points with full flaps and keeping the aircraft throttled up.

The main reason you should land with full flaps is for the extra drag, extra drag means the engines have to be spooled. This is important in case you have to go around or get hit by a nasty tailwind at the last second. It can take a turbofan engine up to 10 seconds to go from idle to 100%, and most of my low altitude crashes usually take less than 3 seconds, so full flaps are imperative to have the engine already running at a power setting, so all you have to do is decrease flaps and go full throttle, and you should....be fine.

The second reason for full flaps is that many new aircraft, especially the Boeing C-17 and DeHavilland Twin Otter (DHC-6) have what is called the "Blown Flap" system, where the engines blow straight onto the flaps, which deflect air downward, kind of like a harrier. This increases the lift for both take-off and landing and makes both aircraft STOL.

I can't find any information if the B737 was designed with this in mind, I don't think it was, because the original JT8D engines stick out the back, whereas the CFM-56 engines are considerably forward of the flaps, effectively giving the aircraft the blown flap configuration. For this reason, when you go to idle, instantly the aircraft loses that little extra lift, and is a reason it falls to the runway...if MS designed that into the game.