Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

TO/GA

Odyssey Guest

I've noticed this on most of the jets but what exactly does TO/GA mode do and how do I use it?

🙂 Od

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

I am wondering the same

Odyssey Guest

I've checked on the index in the help section but there's nothing to suggest what it's used for... Dont Know

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

TO/GA = Takeoff/Go Around

You can activate it to takeoff in a short runway. The engines will give full power.

It is also used to go around. When ATC tells you to go around, you press this button and the aircraft will accelerate enough to climb again and proceed with the go around.

Last edited by Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Take Off / Go Around ....a simple click of the switch gives you buckets of power!
https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/1966/to-ga-switch/
Good info from my learned colleague Radarman!

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

Agus0404 wrote:

TO/GA = Takeoff/Go Around

You can activate it to takeoff in a short runway. The engines will give full power.

It is also used to go around. When ATC tells you to go around, you press this button and the aircraft will accelerate enough to climb again and proceed with the go around.

Nice explaination =) 👏 🍻

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

the TO/GA button is basically used to set the correct thrust settings for takeoff and go-around procedures

Pro Member Trainee
Prozac919 Trainee

On some airplanes, the TO/GA button does more than just spool the autothrottles to GA power. If the autopilot is flying a coupled approach, it puts the autopilot in go around mode which is disarms the altitude hold if used for the approach. It also puts the aircraft into a climb mode (I don't remember the exact number but in the DC-10 it would rotate the aircraft to 15 degrees nose high). Furthermore, if flying a GPS approach, it cycles the GPS to fly the missed approach routing.

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

wow that's cool. but I assume it's not used for a normal take-off right?

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

It actually is (hence the name TO/GA). On take-off, it makes sure the engines don't take their sweet little time spooling up (runways are finite, some more than others). I think that you can take off without hitting it, but a real pilot would have to say more on that 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Sico2 First Officer

I have problem with TO/GA in my PMDG 737NG, I press ctrl+shift+G and nothing appears on the display and the plane doesn't taker the control over the engines.. something is wrong... don't get it. Help!

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

You'll notice if you apply full power on take-off without the TO/GO button engaged the engine parameters on the EICAS will go into the red. In real life this would cause serious damgae to the engine, possibly even a fire so pilots use the button, which is bascially a computer, and it sets the most economical thrust depending on weight etc.

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

Sico2 wrote:

I have problem with TO/GA in my PMDG 737NG, I press ctrl+shift+G and nothing appears on the display and the plane doesn't taker the control over the engines.. something is wrong... don't get it. Help!

The PMDG is more closely modeled for the TO/GA function, so a simple key press won't work as easily here. First, your full "Perf Init" page has to be filled out (including your gross-weight and fuel) in the FMC. The computer can then calculate appropriate thrust (esp. if you have the departure runway loaded on the "Rte" page). Now you won't just simply get full power, you'll get very specific full power.

Flip on the auto-throttle switch while you're on the runway, and press the screw on the top-left of the MCP (autopilot) panel. They had to put the button there since ordinarily it's set on the throttle. It should work fine for you now.

What you'll notice on most Boeing aircraft is that after the FMC calculates the appropriate thrust for TO/GO mode (or for climb, cruise, or just about anything), you don't even need to press the button for it. You can simply push your throttles full forward and the computer will actually cap your throttles at the calculated thrust, not the maximum!

I know I missed (or messed up) a few points in here, but this training document from UVA is very helpful in getting a real understanding of this stuff (from a fully qualified 747/767/737 captain):

http://www.united-virtual.com/files/documents/Boeing_Training_1.pdf