SearchSearch 

Vista gamers need 2GB plus of memory

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Please Read

Are you sure you want to upgrade to Vista??????

25 Responses

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Yikes!! 800 just to run Vista? No I'm not at all sure I want to go there right now, it may come to that but I think I will wait a while.

I knew Vista was bloated even more so than XP, but this is getting ridiculous.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

WarHawk42 wrote:

Yikes!! 800 just to run Vista? No I'm not at all sure I want to go there right now, it may come to that but I think I will wait a while.

I knew Vista was bloated even more so than XP, but this is getting ridiculous.

Yes Yes Yes

Warhawk is right but i suggest to wait and see.
They create something in order to make the marketing chain works.Thats always happens....The choices are ours.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

You should have 2gb's by now already, its 2006 for christs sake. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

You mean 2006 = 2GB?
If this so we must wait a thousand years till we go to 3GB?
😂 😂 😂 😂 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

No meaning, get with the times, if you're still running 512 you're living in the dark ages. I have 2gb's and with I had some more.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Thats good for you my friend...And i know a lot of people that have the same and more...but aslo i know a lot that...they live in the dark ages...as you say 😉 I can imagine a lot of people and especially young guys that probably cannot pay the money for 2 x 1GB sticks...I dont think that we must tell them that they are living in the dark cause of this...

My opinion of course and not at all in an offencive mode for you. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

I paid a tad over 100 bucks for my corsair sticks, good deal work great. Plenty of time to save up and you will enjoy FS9 a lot more with at least 2gb's.

And as for microsoft is just doing this to make more money, by that logic we should be still playing oregon trail on our apple's.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Im not going to disagree with you my frind,that from technical side the more RAM you get the best perfomance you have.This is obvious.

But allow me to disagree with you in the point about dark ages etc.
Everyone has what he likes and what his wallet allow him to get...I think that we agree on this...or not?

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

Yes Yes Yes

Warhawk is right but i suggest to wait and see.
They create something in order to make the marketing chain works.Thats always happens....The choices are ours.

Bigger doesn't equal better. In fact with Microsoft bigger usually means more bugs in the program.

When XP hit the market it was said to be easier to use and more user friendly than previous windows products. What is actually was, was much more bloated and buggy than previous windows. Once you get XP running properly it does have it's advantages but it isn't easier and more user friendly in my opinion.

Yes XP does a better job of setting up plug and play and if you are on broad band it detects and sets up your connection. Those are advantages, but ease of use it isn't compared to earlier versions and that is what you do most with it is use it, not set it up.

A better option in my opinion would have been to tweak XP until it was bug free (if that's possible with Microsoft) and refine it, much like they did with Windows 98 compared to Windows 95. Yea I know, Windows 98 still had some bugs, but it took the good points of Windows 95 and worked on the weaknesses and it was a better product.

It would seem Vista is going to take XP a rather large step forward in complexity, but then to keep the money coming in they have to come up with something to sell.

There is much in XP that I don't use and would rather not have in it, it only takes up hard drive space and memory that could be used for other programs. I can only imagine how much will be in Vista that is a waste for me.

Not everyone wants to have to buy an new computer every time a new OS comes out, and it looks like a lot of people will have to do that just to run Vista. Most people do not build or upgrade their own computers and the cost of running Vista is going to be a lot more than just the cost of the OS.

Then there is the hardware that will have to have new drivers written for them to run properly if history is any guide. How many times do we advise people now to upgrade their drives when they are having problems?

I'm going to wait and see how this thing shakes out before I spend the money on Vista.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Pertinent points WarHawk. I am now hoping that FSX will be released long before Vista. This way we could give FSX a good workout under XP, compare notes and see what the flightsim community at large has to say and consequently decide whether to upgrade to Vista right away or wait.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Tailhook wrote:

Pertinent points WarHawk. I am now hoping that FSX will be released long before Vista. This way we could give FSX a good workout under XP, compare notes and see what the flightsim community at large has to say and consequently decide whether to upgrade to Vista right away or wait.

If it isn't already questionable enough check this out.

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/13324/bin-everything-when-dx10-comes-out/

It looks like we will be forced to buy Vista if we want to run new software.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

WarHawk42 wrote:

Tailhook wrote:

Pertinent points WarHawk. I am now hoping that FSX will be released long before Vista. This way we could give FSX a good workout under XP, compare notes and see what the flightsim community at large has to say and consequently decide whether to upgrade to Vista right away or wait.

If it isn't already questionable enough check this out.

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/13324/bin-everything-when-dx10-comes-out/

It looks like we will be forced to buy Vista if we want to run new software.

Oh boy, this is like groping in the dark. So apparently Windows XP won't be able to support DirextX 10 -- but does this necessarely mean that FSX won't run adequately with DirectX 9?

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Tailhook wrote:

Oh boy, this is like groping in the dark. So apparently Windows XP won't be able to support DirextX 10 -- but does this necessarely mean that FSX won't run adequately with DirectX 9?

That's a good question, and I don't have the answer. I guess we will just have to wait for the answer to that.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I was just thinking that since FS2002 was released, there have been several new versions of DirectX, yet FS2002 runs just as well now as it did at the beginning.

In the end, as you say, we'll just have to wait.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Tailhook wrote:

I was just thinking that since FS2002 was released, there have been several new versions of DirectX, yet FS2002 runs just as well now as it did at the beginning.

In the end, as you say, we'll just have to wait.

Older programs may very well run under DirectX 10, but programs written for DirectX 10 will only run with Vista and DirectX 10 according to this. For many that will mean buying a new computer or upgrading your present one and buying Vista, if you want to run the software designed for DirectX 10.

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

Tailhook wrote:

I was just thinking that since FS2002 was released, there have been several new versions of DirectX, yet FS2002 runs just as well now as it did at the beginning.

In the end, as you say, we'll just have to wait.

In your example, you have an old software, running on a new DirectX, yet in this case, you have a new software, running on the old DirectX -- I have a gut feeling that this minor difference will prove to be difficult to overcome Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

Ah, you beat me there Warhawk 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Umm... Vista,
It just seems to be getting even more memory hungry by the day

The unfortunate thing about this is,as we are all flight sim nuts,if we want FSX,we will need Vista Hack Wall Bashing

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

tomthetank wrote:

Umm... Vista,
It just seems to be getting even more memory hungry by the day

The unfortunate thing about this is,as we are all flight sim nuts,if we want FSX,we will need Vista Hack Wall Bashing

It isn't just flight sim nuts who are going to wind up paying big bucks for new equipment. Anyone who want to run anything written for DirectX 10 will have to have Vista and all that goes with it to make it run properly.

From what I see, if it's correct, this is going to be one of the most costly upgrade OS's ever. Computer company's and memory makers must be drooling at the prospects of up coming sales.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

From what I see, if it's correct, this is going to be one of the most costly upgrade OS's ever. Computer company's and memory makers must be drooling at the prospects of up coming sales.

Yes,you are right.

But,and this is a big but,Windows is the leading O/S,if you want to run anything in the future Microshaft has us by the Censored

We will all fall in line, and spend our money Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

tomthetank wrote:

Yes,you are right.

But,and this is a big but,Windows is the leading O/S,if you want to run anything in the future Microshaft has us by the Censored

We will all fall in line, and spend our money Crying or Very sad

Unfortunately you are correct. What is needed is serious competition in the market when it comes to an OS, but it just doesn't exist. For the vast majority of us and what we want to run it is whatever Microsoft feeds us or nothing.

As you say, we will suck it up and spend our money to buy and use Microsoft's latest buggy efforts. It would at least be nice if they would get the bugs out of the previous OS before going on to a new one, don't you think?

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

WarHawk42

As you say, we will suck it up and spend our money to buy and use Microsoft's latest buggy efforts. It would at least be nice if they would get the bugs out of the previous OS before going on to a new one, don't you think?

Maybe thats why its been delayed Dont Know

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Well if you can get your head around Linux, (I can't, but I keep trying!). There's a very small version available free. You don't need any disk space, will run completely in memory, from a CD.

It does work, as I have a copy, but of course no fs9 look-alike. But what a fantastically compact OS.

If you are interested -> http://www.puppylinux.com/

Have fun!

Cheers - > 🍻

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 I have also tried the "live cd " Linux
Its very small and quite good.The office program is quite simply brilliant.
(it also runs under XP Secret )but its let down in other areas(hey,so is XP 🙄 )
If you have not tried it,then may I suggest that you should 😉

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

RE: VISTA!

Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere on this forum, but found it today, quite interesting.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/evaluate/hardware/vistarpc.mspx

All times are GMT Page 1 of 1

Related Questions