Commercial Jets always IFR?

Sphagnum1 Guest

I just flew a A320 out of KSFO to KGRR (grand rapids) VFR. When approaching KGRR, I contacted their tower and they assigned me runway 26R which is only 5000ft long and has no ILS frequency. Is this because I'm not supposed to fly VFR in a commercial jet?

Btw, I was so nerverous about rolling off the end of the runway, and hence making sure i was on the ground as soon as there was asphalt under my wheels, that I decended way to fast and crashed! 😞 😞 😞 Hit the ground at nearly -1000ft/min!!

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

I would venture to guess that all Commercial flights for the most part are IFR, no one in there right mind is going to fly 1700 miles from San Fran to michigan using VFR.

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Remember, VFR means constant contact with the ground (eye contact that is). This could get very (and I mean *very*) uneconomical (not to mention uncomfortble for the passengers).

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I wouldn't put too much faith in Flight Simulator ATC, it's not that detailed. The program doesn't know what your flying or how much runway you require. It doesn't issue runways based on VFR or IFR. It's up to you as the pilot to refuse a runway that you feel is inadequate because of winds or runway length. 🙂

matt7723 Guest

All Part 121 operations must be operated under IFR rules. Even if the weather is VMC, they still HAVE to file for IFR.

matt7723 Guest

Should have said what Part 121 is. Part 121 is basically air carrier operations. Google "FAR" or "Federal Aviatioj Regulations" and look up Section 121. It will have everything you need to know about commercial operations. The "AIM" also would be pretty interesting for you too.

Sphagnum1 Guest

matt7723 wrote:

All Part 121 operations must be operated under IFR rules. Even if the weather is VMC, they still HAVE to file for IFR.

Exactly the answer I was looking for! Thanks!

I have a sneaking suspicion that FS knows this and so if you're flying VFR they automatically assume you are a smaller aircraft and therefore don't need the longer runway... especially with all the traffic there was flying around Michigan last night....

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...