Fly Away Simulation

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

Harrier

Marok Guest

OK I have messed around long enough, I can not for the likes of me get the dang harrier to take off verticaly. can some one give me step by step instructions on how to do this????

thanks
brian

Pro Member First Officer
verygom First Officer

If you have n't already got it, have a look at the Jim Atkins Harrier (MJ Harrier ll plus) version; the readme/instructions are very good

Marok Guest

I dont have that one can you give me a link??

Thanks
BB

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

the british made harrier - pride of the american navy

had to slip that one in Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

If you happen to have Adam Preece's Harrier, this gauge made by the Master might help you:

Arrow http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=rcbhcb11.zip&Author=&CatID=root

Pro Member First Officer
verygom First Officer

The Jim Atkins Harrier is in the FAS downloads - search "harrier" - Its about the 2nd one down on the page

Pro Member Captain
edr1073 Captain

actually you are only partially correct. It is the pride of the Department of the Navy, the mens' department the United States Marine Corps...!!
OORAH...Semper Fidelis

Regards,
Ed
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

The Adam Preece Sea Harrier is a good one and as previous forums (or should it be fori?) have said it nearly flies like the real thing. It lands with a very short run but so far as I can see can't hover properly or land vertically. A rolling takeoff simulates what is probably the normal means of getting off the ground, certainly so in the case of the RN carriers that are somewhat smaller than any other aircraft carrier in anybody else's navy.

It can be persuaded to takeoff from Portland Navy which is a helicopter strip and about the only other non-helicopter I have persuaded to get into the air on that one is the Piper Cub. I do wish Portland Harbour looked more realistic as it even lacks the moles and harbour buildings! Can't have everything.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain
Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

Thanks Tailhook, I've downloaded it just now and it looks interesting so once I've finished writing the report on a conference I recently attended I'll get down to it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I am actually now looking for a different set of textures - something a little more shiny or reflective. All in all this is a nice a/c ... just need a bit more practice in controlling the beast.
I will keep it in my hangar, that's been decided. Thumbs Up!

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

The britsh made harrier is not the pride of the United States of America Navy.

The F-14 Tomcat is.......even though its being slowly but surely retired....

Fear

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

the rcb software appears to be intended for the GR7 Harrier as no mention is made of the Sea Harrier in the "Readme". I installed it but ran into initialization problems, so de-installed.

Since downloaded the GR7 and will have another go.

The RN had no choice but the Sea Harrier as the current carriers have flight decks too short for anything else that flies fast. Gave a good account of themselves in combat too.

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

I have both the Sea Harrier and Harrier GR7 installed but for some reason the GR7 display is not there, both the left and right hand screens are blank. Also no switches or buttons respond to touch or click.

I wonder what is wrong?

I've added the "fix" but I think that is a texture fix and nothing to do with the instrument panel.

A look through the panel.cfg for both reveals no obvious reason why the GR7 panel is not coming up properly. I don't really want to put the rcb hover control on until the panel is properly up and running.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

ok,for vtol takeoff,just hold the brakes,put the flaps at 10 degrees,and full throttle.Then release the brakes,anpull up the stick,the plane'll roll a bit,and takeoff.take the gear in,and SLOWLY retract the flaps for a horizontal flight.presto.

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

Noted re the above. Currently I have the GR7 installed + the fix + rcb hover control which I did very carefully.

Some of the "configuration" was ok but I couldn't find "Views-view Options" at all in the settings section.

I can see no trace of VSTOLControlIPC.xml" gauge in either 2D or "Virtual Cockpt", nor can I see any button to bring it up, such as the rcb Groundhandling Icon uses. I expected to see a panel as described in Page 3 of the Readme but nothing grabs me.

Also only the Autopilot appears to respond to mouse cursor clicks, no light switches visible and the buttons surrounding the two squares of disiplay in the centre of the panel. The righthand one appears to be a forward-looking display from a TV camera though the picture is not a representation of anything I can identify.

So the main problem is "where has the gauge gone to?" I can't think of anything I've forgoten to do.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Aldeeb I'm not too sure where you're at at the moment, so I'll improvise.

I have no problems with my initial installation and the fix. These are the file names:

apdharr7.zip and apdharfx.zip those being for the Gr.7 of course, not the Sea Harrier.

I don't know where you got your files from, you may have to retrace your steps. Adam Preece's own site gives you links if required and other very useful information.

The panel is a basic one but it does it's job considering the type of aircraft. Clickable are the Brakes, Landing Gear and Spoilers. Additionally the AP is fully clickable.

Where in many other a/c you would have a virtual cockpit (by pressing S on your keyboard), here you get a magnified HUD which is much more useful in a fighter a/c than a virtual cockpit.

Now to Rob Barendregt's Gauge. I think you already have the rcbhcb11.zip -- before you go any further, get rcbhc-15.zip as well from here Arrow http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=rcbhc-15.zip&Author=&CatID=root
"This archive contains a set of gauges, effects, sounds and new flightmodel that you can add to Adam Preece' GR.7 Harrier."

It can not be over-emphasized that the careful study of the Readme is a must. Here is just a small excerpt:

Installation
=============
Installation of this archive requires prior installation of:
- Adam Preece' GR.7 Harrier.
Files APDHARR7.ZIP and APDHARFX.ZIP, from www.flightsim.com
- If you want the cannon sound audible, you must have the following files
already on your PC:
- ....\Flight Simulator 9\gaugesound.dll
- ....\Flight Simulator 9\Gauges\dsd_xml_sound.gau
- ....\Flight Simulator 9\Modules\FSUIPC.dll (V3.14 or higher)
If not yet present: download file RCBCO-11.zip, from www.flightsim.com
or www.avsim.com and extract these files from that archive.

A bit of work involved as is always the case when one author endeavours to complement the creation of another.

As usual, we seem to pick the tricky ones, but how rewarding when they're finally up and running... or should that be 'flying'?

Wishing you luck, keep us updated Very Happy

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

Hi Tailhook - thanks for your helpful reply.

The GR7 files I have came from apdesigns.org and have names:

APDHarrierGR7.zip
APDHarrierGR7fix.zip

I note that the file names you listed did not include the letters GR but perhaps this doesn't signify any difference?

I downloaded rcbhcb11 from Avsim and I have just downloaded rcbhcb15 from the link you gave me.

You are right, I seem to have a gift for smelling out planes that are a challenge to get up and running (and even flying), getting everything right is however invariably very worthwhile and it is good to get into the software as this puts one onto a worthwhile learning curve and makes it much easier to spot abnormalities. You have done a great job for me over past months and I really appreciate your time and trouble.

My preference seems to for small/medium sized aircraft and small strips where I can find them - the Caribbean has plenty and we even have one in London (City). I can't say I particularly enjoy hauling a "large" plane off the runway and seeing the enormous turning circles. I quite like the BAE Hawk and for fun the Folland Gnat which is a very basic jet trainer. I think the one plane that worries me is the Vickers "Viking" which is most reluctant to get its tail up and fly. Had I known what a miserable flier it was I wouldn't have been so happy when I flew back to London in one from Gibraltar back in 1953!

Nearly finished my tax return so will have a go with the rcbhcb11 this afternoon.

Happy Easter.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Cheers!

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

For Tailhook, noted:

Quote:
Installation
=============
Installation of this archive requires prior installation of:
- Adam Preece' GR.7 Harrier.
Files APDHARR7.ZIP and APDHARFX.ZIP, from flightsim
- If you want the cannon sound audible, you must have the following files
already on your PC:
- ....\Flight Simulator 9\gaugesound.dll
- ....\Flight Simulator 9\Gauges\dsd_xml_sound.gau
- ....\Flight Simulator 9\Modules\FSUIPC.dll (V3.14 or higher)
If not yet present: download file RCBCO-11.zip, from flightsim
or www.avsim.com and extract these files from that archive.

I've tried to located RCBCO-11.zip on both flightsim and avsim but without success in the "search". Still have to check on the three files after "already on your PC:"

Quite looking forward to a Harrier that behaves like the real thing. Currently adding useful Icons to the Folland Gnat and would like to give it what it never had in real life - an Autopilot. I exchanged emails with an engineer who worked for Folland and knew the plane well - he confirmed it was pretty unsophisticated.

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

The C172 fitted the need well enough and the radios all operate ok but the AP doesn't respond to "Z" or to cursor on the buttons so back to having a looksee at how the 172's software provides the link.

pil0t-bob Guest

i tried some harriers and i cant get any of them to work but a cool plane is a skycar it has vtol lift and a smoke switch
i get my planes from simviation

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Aldeeb, the RCBCO-11.zip is a mystery indeed. After an extensive search I couldn't locate it anywhere. Possibly it's been taken off the library.
However, I found in in my own archives and you can get it here if you're quick since 'YouSendIt' have implemented a restriction of 10 downloads now.

Could this be the newer version which overrides the previous one and hence the old one has been taken off the libraries? I'm only guessing.
But grab them while they're hot - somehow we'll be able to work this out.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I'm amazed, I found it and Tailhook didn't. What's this world coming to.

Here:
https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2639/fs2004-carrier-operation-package/

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

I'm amazed, I found it and Tailhook didn't. What's this world coming to.

Here:
https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2639/fs2004-carrier-operation-package/

Radar

Haha, you are the expert Radarman. Seems I got my thoughts in a knot there. But now it starts making sense. As you know, each avsim download contains the 'avsim DIZ file', which, you guessed right, is absent in my RCBCO-11.zip folder.

So I'm spending two hours at avsim thinking it must be here somewhere and in the process downloading carriers and exotic aircraft I've never even heard of.
Simvation had crossed my mind for a second, but I still haven't found the patience to master their search engine... far too distracting for a scatterbrain like mine.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Their (simviaton) search engine has too many hits per "search word" but it's the only way to find something there and they do have a good selection of the "odd" so I slosh my way through it when I have to.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

Tks Tailhook and Radarman. Noted that v3.14 or higher is required for the file FSUIPC.dll but can't see anything in the file properties that gives a clue to this.

The first putting in of the file into "Modules" didn't work and it shut FS9 down for me saying it was an incompatible version. I removed it and all returned to normal, as one would expect.

I downloaded the RCBco11 from the "yousendit" it address and told it to save under RCBco11a - I don't think it did so as there is no visible file suffix "a" anywhere in sight so I'm not sure what it did.

I note that the version number isn't visible and wonder where it is hiding.

I feel very guilty about hijacking somebody else's posting but it has certainly expanded on the original query so perhaps everybody benefits!

Pro Member Trainee
VF101Guy Trainee

amermel wrote:

The britsh made harrier is not the pride of the United States of America Navy.

The F-14 Tomcat is.......even though its being slowly but surely retired....

Fear

Yeah my beloved Tomcat is gone and replaced by something that cant even do Mach with its loadout..Damn Stupor Hornets Laughing Oh and BTW im not trying to start a flame war just making a joke having a good time so I hope noone gets offended by the joke

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Aldeeb wrote:

Tks Tailhook and Radarman. Noted that v3.14 or higher is required for the file FSUIPC.dll but can't see anything in the file properties that gives a clue to this.

The first putting in of the file into "Modules" didn't work and it shut FS9 down for me saying it was an incompatible version. I removed it and all returned to normal, as one would expect.

I downloaded the RCBco11 from the "yousendit" it address and told it to save under RCBco11a - I don't think it did so as there is no visible file suffix "a" anywhere in sight so I'm not sure what it did.

I note that the version number isn't visible and wonder where it is hiding.

I feel very guilty about hijacking somebody else's posting but it has certainly expanded on the original query so perhaps everybody benefits!

Sorry for the belated reply. Prior to the event of Computers the meaning of 'Love-Hate Relationship' had totally eluded me.

First about the FSUIPC. Get the latest version 3.53 here Arrow http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html
-second item from the top on the list.

Not sure what you were trying to do there Aldeeb - no need to change the filename when your downloading it, just make sure where you save it to. Anyway, you can always use RadarMan's link. Should you have problems as I just did (might be a browser or firewall issue or who knows what) just navigate to 'fs2004military20.htm' 20 signifying the page.

I don't think this is a hijack at all as most give up halfway through anyway.

Keep us updated Very Happy

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

Thanks for the link which I have used and duly downloaded - when I get back from taking somebody out to view my boat (in the drizzle as usual around here!) I'll see if I can put it all together.

What I was trying to do with the changing file name to an (a) suffix was to see if what appeared to be two different versions were in fact different by comparing files content etc. Couldn't do it and I guess they were probably the same anyway.

Amongst all the other things I'm doing at the moment is having a look at a Virtual Airline and came across the TCA = Tradewind Caribbean Airways which looks pretty interesting. I downloaded their Beech 18 (a venerable steed) and it flies ok and is controllable on the ground thanks to "Groundhandling" addon. It flies a bit differently to others in my hangar so I guess it's all about practice with it - I made a real mess of a couple of landings on St Barts, which isn't the easiest of places with its severe topography. The idea of VA seems quite good to me.

PCPilot had a good article on the latest issue of building "Models" and used an SE5 as example, it's also in the CD of downloads that comes with the magazine. Quite an interesting article and a reasonable aircraft too.

Must off to the Lake!

rgds