SearchSearch 

Ryanair lands at WRONG airport

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

Just been browsing on another forum and found this bizarre story....

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55630

I mean, I haven't even done that on FS9, a full trained pilot??
Maybe we need to bring navigators backs, lol!!!

😀 😀 😀 😀

PW

17 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

BBC

"The pilot apologised and said, 'We may have arrived at the wrong airport'.

😀

MMMmmm,strange

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

that really is..dumb. i've never managed that when vfr flying with no gps, how can he with all the gizmos!

Pro Member Chief Captain

I don't understand it either!!!

All I hope is that theirs an explanation...

We may have landed at the wrong airport

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PW
😀

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

WOW thats a bit of a blundar ❗ 😂 i wouldnt even think a mistake like that would be possible in a a320

Pro Member Chief Captain

Here's the official news report...

http://www.u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?pt=n&id=71913

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

News flash

Ryanair to introduce mystery tour flights for this summer Ha Ha

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

tomthetank wrote:

News flash

Ryanair to introduce mystery tour flights for this summer Ha Ha

Sorry.... can't make it 😀

Don Wood Guest

I have never done this either but the amazement that you all express about its "impossibility" is just another example of how unrealistic Sim is compared to the real world. In fact, wrong airport landings happen, not often, but often enough not to be amazing. I don't have any scientific study to support this but my educated guess is that it happens more often with professional or military pilots than it does with general aviation pilots simply because professional pilots fly more often than non-professionals and have more opportunity to make such mistakes.

My comment about the lack of realism in sim has to do with the visual presentation, especially as it relates to airports. This, in my opinion, is one of three or four major problems in sim. It is not a flaw because sim is limited in what can be presented on a flat, fairly small computer screen, but it is highly unrealistic. It is often the case that airports which can easily be seen from 20 miles away in real life are very difficult to see at half that distance in sim and even more so if not lined up with a lighted runway.

There are many places where two or more airports are located in close proximity to each other and, if a pilot is on a visual approach, may wind up picking out the wrong airport to land at. That does not happen in sim because the second airport is often invisible in sim where it would be eminently visible in real life.

Just a couple of cases I can remember, both from several years ago. I can't remember what airline did it but a B-727 landed at a general aviation airport in Wyoming instead of the air carrier airport a few miles away. In that case, the runway was just long enough for the aircraft to land but was too short for a safe takeoff. If I recall correctly, they had to take out all the seats, leave just enough fuel to get from that airport to the one a few miles away, and limit the crew to a single pilot to make it light enough to get off the ground. In another case, Continental Airlines landed at the correct airport (Denver Stapelton) but landed on a taxiway instead of a runway. In this case, the public relations problem was compunded because one of the passengers on that flight was the then-CEO of Continental.

When it happens, it is a major pilot error and the pilot will have some heavy explaining to do with FAA or whatever agency licenses pilots outside the US. Nevertheless, it does happen with some regularity.

Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

Anyone who has never made this mistake, fly the Jesse 1 (http://www.myairplane.com/databases/approach/pdfs/00322JESSE.PDF) approach to KPHX and tell me you're not tempted to land at Falcon Field in Mesa...I've only actually landed at Falcon Field once on accident, but I've started the approach at least two other times.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I have made this mistake once or twice in areas where several airports are clustered together. Sometimes adjacent airports have identical Rwy numbers. I was flying VFR though in WWII Navy fighters without GPS and lights.

No flak from the passengers. 😀

Guest Ed Guest

I have done it in FS09, too. Flying VFR, with two airports close together and parallel runways, it can happen.

I did it recently on my tour of Eastern Europe, in the Republic of Georgia. As soon as I got lined up with the runway I knew something was wrong; there was a VOR on my intended destination airport, and the needle was WAY off. But I went ahead and landed anyhow, because I was flying a prop plane, so runway length wasn't much of a concern.

But it would be embarassing to explain to a load of passengers, and the aviation authorities. Embarassed

Ed

Pro Member First Officer
Sico2 First Officer

not the first time, it happens quite often, especially in south america. Even seen a 90minutes program about his, pretty ineteresting and funny as well. 🙂 I think on airliners.net are some stories about this.

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

http://www.thirdamendment.com/wrongway.html

As DW states...it happens a lot!

Pro Member Chief Captain

😂 😂

Thanks for the link 😀

PW

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

This is the one that is truly scary. Makes one wonder about the consultants government agencies employ. 😂

March 31, 1952 - A private aircraft, bound for Teterboro Airport in New Jersey, mistakenly lands at Newark Airport. (The aircraft was piloted by Merrill C. Meigs, who was at that time a consultant to the Civil Aeronautics Administration, and was the namesake of now-closed Meigs Field in Chicago, Illinois.) See "Newark Has Air Visitor," New York Times, April 1, 1952.

Pro Member First Officer
lenin First Officer

wouldn't you be able to notice the difference:
no terminal building?
no other planes?
atc controller mentioning it is a military base?
the size of the airport?
makes you wonder.
🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

lenin wrote:

wouldn't you be able to notice the difference:
no terminal building?
no other planes?
atc controller mentioning it is a military base?
the size of the airport?
makes you wonder.
🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄

Yes, Vladimir Illy'ch, it make s me wonder in the case of areas with radar equipped ATC, because it means ATC is clueless as to where the planes are.

I can see this happening in more rural areas where two towered airports are close together. The plane is approaching airport A while speaking to the tower at airport B. The tower at airport B doesn't acutally see the aircraft they are talking to and doesn't realize something is wrong. The tower at airport A may be surprised when a plane he hasn't heard from lands. 🙄