Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Trouble gaining speed...

Pro Member Trainee
CoasterXtreme Trainee

I am having trouble taking off before the end of the runway. I usually get the plane off just in time. I am not over the maximum takeoff weight. I usually don't give it full throttle because on most of the planes I am flying full throttle causes one portion of the data for the engines to turn red. Right now I am flying the A340 and if I go full throttle the 2nd engine's N2 turns red. I also fly the PMDG 747 and if I go full throttle with that I get a warning saying RPM limit or something. With all these planes i take off just in time at the very end of the runway but from what I have seen on videos online of takoffs they get these planes off the ground about 3/4 of the way down the runway. Is it bad to use full throttle? or should I make sure that N2 doesn't go red or get a RPM limit warning and takeoff at the very end of the runway?

~Matt Sorce

Hi CoasterXtreme Wink are your flaps set correct ?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Flaps, trim, takeoff weight???

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

How long is the runway? Those aircraft need alot of runway. Ensure you don't have a tailwind. Smile

Pro Member Captain
Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) Captain

there's a number of factors that could be wrong here.

1. runway length
2. trim setting
3. flaps setting
4. aircraft weight

Pro Member Trainee
CoasterXtreme Trainee

Flaps are set correctly. Take off weight is within limits. On the A340 I don't know if I can set the trim. But usually I can get to a speed of 180 then I start to pitch up on the A340 and I can get it off the ground. But I get about 3/4 down the runway and am only at a speed of about 160.

Pro Member Captain
Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) Captain

I believe 160 knots should be fine for V1 rotation, i don't understand what's wrong. (of course depending on your weight)

it sounds like your trim, because yes, you can set trim on an a340.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

How long is the runway?

Pro Member Trainee
CoasterXtreme Trainee

I know you can set trim but I think the PSS A340 doesn't have anywhere to click for that. If it does then please tell me where to click and how do I determine what the trim should be for takeoff? The runway is long enough the aircraft is close to the max takeoff weight so it will take longer to take off but I get scared because I see the end of the runway coming and I am only at about 160. If i pitch up at 160 the plane will sit there until it gains more speed before it lifts off.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Well, I guess the runways long enough. Wall Bashing

Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

Btw, which aircraft are you flying?
Just a quick hint, to get ur aircraft to maximum speed on ground, especially on a short runway is to push throttle to max, then press CTRL + F4. That increases the speed tremendously making a good takeoff.

Pro Member Trainee
CoasterXtreme Trainee

CTRL+F4 is a shortcut for max throttle it doesn't make anything faster. I'm using the PSS A340.

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

Make sure you are at full throttle before releasing brakes, start triming up at near V1. You wrote that weight limit was OK, is your load balanced, do you have a good C/G?(very important with FSP)

did I mention I am haveing a great day! Cheers!