Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Second Lesson

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Hi all,

I just got back from my second flying lesson.
Ive decided im going for the PPL and then add ratings on after that then see how I go from there.
The weather was very choppy today so I didnt get to do as much as my first flight but it was still very enjoyable, apart from the take off where we got a gust of wind and I thought we were going over Laughing

The wind was about 21kts so it was pretty bad near the Welsh mountains and take off. Landing was ok as the winds were blowing straight down the runway into us.

I just had to fork out some dosh for a log book, check list and a flying training manual. I shall be reading through these shortly Very Happy

We covered some turning descents with the rudder or ailerons which are really fun apart from when you pull up and get pinned into your seat Laughing

We flew over the aerodrome where they are building the wings for the airbus A380. Just looks like a small airport.

Sorry I never got any pics again. I dont think I will be able to until I fly solo as you are always talking and learning. But I have found some vids of tommy's circuits which I shall post shortly.

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Excellent...I start learning again on the 18th...back to basics, doing the Flight instructors rating.

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

wow that sounds awesome! I really envy you.. keep us updated please Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

Well done on that second lesson. You'll be on the 747 in no time!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Pro Member First Officer
Tartanaviation First Officer

Good stuff. I am surprised that the flight took place in a 21knot wind though considering you were probably flying in a very light aircraft as a student.

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Yeah its in a piper tomahawk. The wind was almost straight down the runway and there is an experienced pilot there incase things go wrong.

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Ok as promised here are some vids of piper tomahawks. One is of one landing from the ground and the other is onboard suring takeoff and approach.

Please note, these are pretty big so ill only be leaving them on a few days as they'll eat my bandwidth allowance. If anybody wants them after I have removed them drop me a PM.

Pro Member First Officer
Tartanaviation First Officer

Yeah its in a piper tomahawk. The wind was almost straight down the runway and there is an experienced pilot there incase things go wrong.

I realise this but it is irrelevant if the instructor is experienced or what the wind direction is. GA aircraft such as the piper tomahawk have limited operating perameters. There are varying laws from aircraft to aircraft regarding wind speeds which the aircraft are allowed to operate in. Even as an instructor the wind speed is only slightly higher by a few knots compared to the student.

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

There are three types of crosswind limits. The manufacturer's "demonstrated" limit, the company's limit, and the limit of what the aircraft can actually handle.

So essentially all aircraft have a "crosswind limitation" imposed and in the Piper Tomahawk I think this is 13kts. For the flight in question "down the ballpark" at 21kts no problem at all.

Pro Member First Officer
Jeff Brock (jeffb57) First Officer

cool, i have gone to 3 ground schools sessions. kind of boring, especially the one on weather

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

PH wrote:

There are three types of crosswind limits. The manufacturer's "demonstrated" limit, the company's limit, and the limit of what the aircraft can actually handle.

So essentially all aircraft have a "crosswind limitation" imposed and in the Piper Tomahawk I think this is 13kts. For the flight in question "down the ballpark" at 21kts no problem at all.

Oh, there is a little sticker in the A/C that says its 15 kts.

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

I took my first lesson on April 1st, 2006.

The instructor did not "pull a fast one on me"

Pro Member Captain
vlad (tiger7881) Captain

Laughing i dont know what to say, when i was flying in toronto canada, its way abit windy about 15kts but i was flying in a cessna witch is allowed and about the piper duno Laughing

Pro Member Captain
vlad (tiger7881) Captain

Cheers! Cheers! Cheers! Clap Clap Clap When i saw the movies i felt like i am the pilot. good job man remind me my first time Laughing. Good job Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Group Wave