Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Taxi

How do I taxi on land with an airplane? It is hard for me to taxi to a gate because it always turns too much to the right or left.

Pro Member First Officer
Jeff Brock (jeffb57) First Officer

what are you using to taxi? rudder pedals? joystick?

I am using the keyboard for taxing. On the numpad, I am using the enter key and the 0 key.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I recommend that you get a joy stick. Flight Simulator is much more controllable, realistic and enjoyable with a joy stick. 🙂

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3426741

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Agree with CRJCapt Yes
If you want to center your craft hit 5 in the numpad.

Thank you all for giving me choices. I will definitely try them. Thank you very much.

Pro Member Captain
Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) Captain

i use yoke and rudder pedals... i cant believe i used to fly via keyboard... well, that is if you want to call that flying, lol

i highly recommend you get some hardware.. joystick, yoke, anything.
👍

Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

I need to be thinking of getting a new joystick, my one's completely screwed up due to the fact that it fell several times lol. On landing, it's messed up coz the joystick doesn't stay in one position, it keeps tilting, so i need to usually use autopilot for landing. Just a question, are sidewinder joysticks better than normal ones? do they have any disadvantages?

I don't think Sidewinder's are necessarily better then others, but of course they are made by Microsoft so there is a bit of a marketing thing going on there.....

Greg - who is more than happy with his superb Logitech Attack 3 joystick.....for the moment.....

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

First, let's get on the same sheet of music. There are Microsoft Sidewinder joy sticks(name brand) and there are joy sticks that twist to allow control of the rudder. I've never known a joy stick with the twist feature to be called sidewinder but I believe that is what your talking about. 🙂

Good:
Joy sticks that have a twist control are nice because they allow you to control the rudder without expensive rudder pedals.
It's more realistic to have control of the rudder.
Prices are reasonable and not much more than a basic joy stick.
You don't have to use the twist feature if you don't like it.

Bad:
They cost a little more than basic joystick.
Depending on what and how you fly, you don't use the rudder much anyways.
Controlling the rudder with the joy stick makes the aircraft a little harder to fly, the best way is rudder pedals.

My recommendation is to get one with the twist feature.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3426741

Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

Thanks for the help there, will be getting tht soon.

Pro Member Captain
lenin Captain

I have a sidewinder joystick but to taxi i use the keyboard num pad to steer the plane.