Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Why I am removing VOZ 1.1

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

The scenery additions and textures are great (although I am not convinced the major roads near YSSY are that red in color). The airport enhancements are great, and while I haven't tried it at night, I am sure that is wonderful as well.

The reason I am removing it is that some <insert epithet here> that developed VOZ had the unmitigated gall to overwrite the splash screen for FS.

Until they fix that Censored "feature" I will never use it.

Pro Member First Officer
alohajoe First Officer

I've seen this Scenery before and it looks really good. To bad it overwrites the splashscreen. Does it replace the splashscreen, or what exactly does it do to the splashscreen??
Just one question, would you recommend that I get it although it has the splashscreen problem??? I don't think i'd mind if i didnt have a splashscreen. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain

It renames the default dlgsplash.bmp and replaces it with its own.

I've already replaced it with the default. I've also replaced some of its textures because they impact other parts of the world improperly.

I don't mind that some of the testures needed to be replaced to avoid having parts of the rest of the world having red sand and rocks. FS sometimes makes avoiding such problems nearly impossible.

I just couldn't believe they chose to change the splash screen. The splash screen has nothing to do with the scenery. It's just arrogant and uncalled for.

Can you imagine what would happen if every addon changed the splash screen?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Holy crap take a chill pill.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Solotwo wrote:

Holy crap take a chill pill.

I suppose you don't mind when software developers with delusions of grandeur, screw up things.

Actually, I have "chilled" a bit, as current vernacular has it. Instead of removing it, I just ripped out what I didn't like. Their splash screen is gone, as are the textures that turned all the world's deserts red. Also, their ocean textures were replaced by something that actually looks like an ocean.

The only things I haven't gotten rid of yet are the goofy burnt orange/red roads. I'll probably have to dig into the files, they added and edit them.

I'll keep the airport enhancements. I won't upgrade it if it is ever upgraded, unless they give up the idea of putting their splash screen representing a minor portion of the land mass of this planet, in FS.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I had the last laugh. I took one of their splash screens, removed the VOZ verbiage and replaced it with an advertisement for our virtual airline. 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

HOLY CRAP that's sticking it to the man.

Pro Member First Officer
Nick (-Jester-) First Officer

Horse

Pro Member Chief Captain

Solotwo wrote:

HOLY CRAP that's sticking it to the man.

Well, at least I got to have fun. 😂

Seriously, though, there are a couple of things VOZ needs to address. The first is an installation that backs up things so that if folks don't like it, they can cleanly remove it without backing up/restoring things by hand. BTW, VOZ 0.99 put an entry in the add/remove programs list, while 1.1 doesn't appear to. The second thing is that it shouldn't gratuitously change things that have nothing to do with the scenery.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Well you didn't pay for it at least. I just bought the PMDG Beech 1900D after owning the 1900C thinking oh, it'll be just like it with more modern avionics, truth be told it sucks and I'm REALLY pissed off. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

The scenery additions and textures are great (although I am not convinced the major roads near YSSY are that red in color). The airport enhancements are great, and while I haven't tried it at night, I am sure that is wonderful as well.

Don't worry Crash, all of your problems can be easily fixed!!!

The reason that you have red roads is because you have the North region still VOZ'ed in. You are meant to switch region to South East if you are flying in Sydney, as per the map on the switcher! Easy mistake to make!

The reason I am removing it is that some <insert epithet here> that developed VOZ had the unmitigated gall to overwrite the splash screen for FS.

Use the "Splash Screen Randomizer" that I use mate. It lets you select your own screens (including the default one) to be displayed when you start the program, which by-passes the VOZ screen. Instead of clicking the "fly" button in the switcher after you have VOZ'ed, click the shortcut to the exe file from the small program which you can download here: http://www.wspilots.com///?page=4&action=file&file_id=1121

😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Just one question, would you recommend that I get it although it has the splashscreen problem??? I don't think i'd mind if i didnt have a splashscreen

Yes! Get it! Get it! Get it! You don't know what your missing!

Another solution to bypass the VOZ splashing screens is just by going into your main FS9 folder/VOZ/SPLASH/CENTRAL and NORTH and SOUTH and WEST and replace all the "dlgsplash.bmp" files with the default one from your FS9 directory/Uires folder!

Easy Peasy!!! 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

CT, the concept of "temporary" scenery changes, as done by the switcher, is unique and needs better documentation. That, I can live with.

The splash screen change is just wrong. Think what would happen if every scenery addon did the same thing. It would be chaos.

I did solve the problem by taking one of the VOZ splash screens, removing the VOZ ad and replacing it with one for our VA. I then copied it over the other VOZ splash screens. Twisted Evil 😂

But cheer up. While I didn't see a copyright notice on any of the splash screens, I'll respect the artistic creation of others and won't distribute it. 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) First Officer

this isnt' bad (for freeware) .. i just find that the splashscreen replacement is annoying.. and even more so.. the fact that you have to choose which region to add detail to before you fly.. 😕

otherwise you need to exit flightsim if you want to fly in another region of the land down under

Pro Member Chief Captain

Since they are modifying global textures, it is the only way they can do it. If you activate the scenery for the desert area, you'll have red roads all over the world. Therefore, you have to deactivate that region to return the rest of the world to normal.

To my mind, it would be more sensible to just be able to change the base textures to lush, desert, semi-arrid, etc., from within FS.

Pro Member First Officer
Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) First Officer

indeed...

im considering uninstalling VOZ.. nice scenery.. but setup very strangely 😕

Pro Member Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

To my mind, it would be more sensible to just be able to change the base textures to lush, desert, semi-arrid, etc., from within FS.

Well I think that it was a good idea to include Multiple regions as Australia is such a vast continent, and the design team didn't all budle everything into one texture pack, but rather gave each area it's own distinct look and feel.

By the way, the VOZ splash screen idea came from the official voz forums (www.vistaoz.org/forums) so it seems if you have an idea to post there, the team take it seriously. Why not pay a visit and let them know how you feel about the Splash Screens. I have to agree- they are very annoying!

Also, about changing region: This package is meant for Low and Slow flyers, not big jets, so it's rare that you are going to change regions anyway...

Pro Member Chief Captain

Actually, I'm having a food fight over there. Their reaction seems to be that I am challenging the sovereignty of Australia. 😛

They seem to think that changing the splash screens is an aid to those who can't recall what they did an hour ago. In other words, can't remember which area they last VOZ'd. In other words, "Lowest Common Denominator Computing".

I can't wait for Vista Bulgaria, Vista Panama and Vista Sierra Leone to come out with their own splash screens. Evil or Very Mad

Whatever happened to, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

Pro Member Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Whatever happened to, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

RGR that!

Pro Member Chief Captain

My food fight on the VOZ forum ended with Koorby posting:

Listen you pompous, arrogant, and completly STUPID git!! Replacing the splash screen was a MISTAKE made during the BETA for which we have APOLOGISED in public and provided a FIX for.

It is people like you sir, who sometimes make me question why I make scenery for free at all. You don't deserve to use VOZ because you clearly are not interested in simming, but rather, just like arguing in forums and making a dick of yourself in public.

This thread is now CLOSED! It is a shrine to the stupidity of some people.

Since I was unable to address his big lie there, I will state it here. It had nothing to do with the beta!

So if you want your software from someone who makes me look downright pleasant, do it. Otherwise, tell Koorby where to put VOZ.

What had nothing to do with the beta? Are you a beta tester?

It seems that you are takking this issue too far and are now accusing the developers of lying? What could they hope to gain from doing that? I've been to the VOZ forums and the splash thign iis explained quite clearly in a notice on their support forums.

I installed VOS and it works perfectly and I like their splash screens becoz they remind me of the region I am using - and when I fly back in my home area of eastern USA I just unvoz. How hard is that? I followed their directions and now the defsault FS9 splash screne is restored each time I unvoz it.

I think it's a case of RTFM for you ... to not use such a grate scenery because of a splash screen is silly ... your loss 😳

Also... your opening post on there forum comes across as looking for a fight before it happend. Their support forums are th best in the industy by far.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I haven't a clue about the beta. I never mentioned it. The first time I heard it mentioned was in what I quoted.

I went there espressing the fact that changing the splash screen was not a feature because it hijacked something that had nothing to do with the scenery and if every developer did the same thing, the result would be chaotic.

The response was a mixture of, "we like it so tough...", ad hominem attacks and a few anti-US epithets.

I kept my posts on the point that changing the splash screen was unnecessary and that everyone shouldn't have to pay for the fact that some couldn't remember which area they last VOZ'd.

The last post was Koorby's which I repled to in a PM. I stated that any reference to the beta was falacious since I never had and never mentioned the beta. I stated it was obvious that since he shut the thread down, he wasn't interested in the truth and that I hoped he would do payware only so I could save money by not buying it. I also told him to terminate my account on his forum. I got an email stating my account was suspended until 2032. 😂

If that group of arrogant people is representative of Australia, I don't think I will ever visit the place.

BTW, the fact that you like the splash screen doesn't change the fact that if all addons start doing the same thing it will result in chaos.

Last edited by CrashGordon on Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Crash, are you not taking this a little too far?

There are three fixes already for your simple complaint, and you have created alot of upset around the VOZ team from a simple problem that is not a very big deal at all.

You where very rude to the people in the VOZ forum and recived the replys you deserved. Even I was given a telling off for "inviting people to come and troll on the VOZ forums" and "whine on our site" 😞

...I still think VOZ rocks ❗

Pro Member Chief Captain

Sorry you caught hell for it.

When it comes to rudeness, they are far more proficient at it that I am.

I'll have no further comment about them or VOZ unless provoked.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

😳 Neutral

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

SteveT wrote:

😳 Neutral

😂 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

It seems the older you get, the harder it gets to admit to a mistake despite a '64 BA.

BTW, you don't visit another country draped in your flag -- that's bound to draw flak. 🍅

Pro Member Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

It seems the older you get, the harder it gets to admit to a mistake despite a '64 BA.

BTW, you don't visit another country draped in your flag -- that's bound to draw flak. 🍅

I will try to remain unprovoked and not say anything provocative. 🙄

I was looking to enhance scenery. Changing the splash screen was gratuitous and unwelcome. It is that simple.

As far as flag draping goes, who exactly was it that wanted to wrap my FS in "Vista Australis"?

The problem has been solved. I removed VOZ, but I took one of their splash screens edited out the VOZ stuff and substituted my VA's graphics and logo. It's compensation for a lot of aggravation. 😂