SearchSearch 

What's your least favorite?

Pro Member First Officer
Arkydave First Officer

Radarman asked about our favorite aircraft, and got me to thinking about least favorites as well. What are your least favorites, and why?

I have come to detest the large twin turboprops in general, and the ATR-72 in particular. It's nearly impossible to control on the ground - has about the same turning radius as an aircraft carrier. And maybe it's just me, but I usually end up too fast on my approach and can't get the speed down to safe (controlled) landing speed. No speed brake, at least on the version I've been using.

20 Responses

Pro Member Trainee
deKoven Trainee

Arkydave wrote:

Radarman asked about our favorite aircraft, and got me to thinking about least favorites as well. What are your least favorites, and why?

I have come to detest the large twin turboprops in general, and the ATR-72 in particular. It's nearly impossible to control on the ground - has about the same turning radius as an aircraft carrier. And maybe it's just me, but I usually end up too fast on my approach and can't get the speed down to safe (controlled) landing speed. No speed brake, at least on the version I've been using.

Interesting! I'm just the opposite; I like those large twin turbos and absolutely HATE the copters.

Have to say; when flying those large twins you have to realize that you're not flying a single engine piper or cessna. You have to treat them as LARGE aircraft and thus have lots of room to set down. Ya can't horse them down in a quarter mile glide. Most will come in at fairly slow speed but you have to plan ahead and cut the speed fairly far out.

😛

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

🤔 I never really thought about that. I could say choppers also but that's because I've yet to master the ability to fly one. When I did get one up in the air and moving around for a few minutes I enjoyed it, but I couldn't control it enough to land on a building. Nope
The Antonov is a behemoth of an aircraft, yet I was able to land it the first time I took it up. Yes the turning (in the air) and the taxing radius is nothing short of ridiculous. It's like taking a big rig through a McDonalds drive through window. Wall Bashing
When I come down to it I much prefer GA to jets, I enjoy the props they have "forgiving" controls (DC9) but I do like the occasional spin in a tomcat, oh those barrel rolls, yes they are fun. Clap

I have to think on this some more, good question. Whistle

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I really don't like the single engine prop planes. They are too slow for me, and landing one is nothing short of boring! It's all routine Sleep

I also absolutely detest taildraggers. Those are the worst for me to handle. I always flip over when im taxiing.

Pro Member First Officer
Arkydave First Officer

Speaking of tail draggers. I enjoyed the one time I got airborne in a DC-3, but as soon as I touched down on the runway, I was in trouble. The tail was still in the air, and I wasn't prepared to apply rudder to steer the thing. Radarman, do you use rudder pedals when flying your DC-3? Don't think I could handle the keyboard rudder very well. Also need rudder pedals if I'm ever going to learn to fly a helo.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Arkydave wrote:

Speaking of tail draggers. I enjoyed the one time I got airborne in a DC-3, but as soon as I touched down on the runway, I was in trouble. The tail was still in the air, and I wasn't prepared to apply rudder to steer the thing. Radarman, do you use rudder pedals when flying your DC-3? Don't think I could handle the keyboard rudder very well. Also need rudder pedals if I'm ever going to learn to fly a helo.

No I just have a MS Precision 2 usb Sidewinder (nonFFB) joystick
Land on the 2 gears as you would with any tail dragger and then as you shut down the throttle the full flaps that you deployed at landing will drop the rear gear, some cool smoke if your too fast.
Easy on the brake so you don't nose over or swerve.
I then (with full flaps) slowly taxi, great turning radius.

FS2004 DC3 Deer Valley Flying Club
dc3-dvfc.zip
11th down Nice DC3

http://www.fscorner.com/database2004-1/23-04-2004.htm

:ass: Guest

YOU FATSO LOSS WAIT YA YOU:ass: Ass

Pro Member Trainee
uni_max_zero Trainee

as far as what I dont care for the least has to be slow slow planes, but I did fly a russian bomber once I think the name of it was a "Bearcat" its huge and jeez dont try to take one off on a short runway, and talking about turning jeez it was more like turn and pray at the same time... 😀

Pro Member Trainee
watersprite Trainee

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

I really don't like the single engine prop planes. They are too slow for me, and landing one is nothing short of boring! It's all routine Sleep

I also absolutely detest taildraggers. Those are the worst for me to handle. I always flip over when im taxiing.

Eek! One of my favorite planes is a small, single engine taildragger! (RealAir's Super Decathlon) 😀

My other favorites are also small, single engine planes. Some are quite slow, while others have a bit more power. None of them are boring to fly and land; at least not in my opinion.

These small planes require much more "hands on" flying than do the commercial airliners and business jets. If you enjoy the scenery "eye candy" the sim - and add-ons - have to offer, flying "low and slow" can be anything but boring. Even flying "low and fast" can be fun with some of these planes.

My latest acquisition, the RealAir Super Decatlhon, is an aerobatic trainer, and lots of fun to fly. Its realistic flight and ground handling make it fun to deal with on the ground, during takeoff, during flight, and during the approach and landing. This plane has no flaps, so using just throttle, pitch, glide slope, and perhaps a bit of "slipping", you must reach the runway threshold at just the right speed, altitude, and attitude in order to achieve a good landing. This plane can land on very short runways as well, but if your approach is even a little off, you'll have to go around and try again.

Landing tricycle gear planes (with flaps available as well!) is a lot easier, and more forgiving. Try a realistically modeled single engine taildragger like the RealAir Super Decathlon, then come back here and tell me it's boring to fly! 😉

In "real life", many airline pilots own their own small planes, or rent them, so that when they're not adjusting auto-pilot dials and such between cups of coffeee, they can do some real flying. 😀

Oh...and back to the original subject:

My least favorites will have to be the commercial airliners. 😉 The world is interesting from 30,000 feet (I've always enjoyed being a passenger on such flights), but it can be much more interesting a bit closer to the ground. I also just don't like the idea of being an auto-pilot babysitter.

By the way...how many of you simulated airline pilots program random failures into your flights? These are lots of fun in the sim with the "low and slow" planes, and I can imagine that if anything can turn an "auto-pilot babysitting session" into an exciting flight, it would be to have an interesting failure or two (or more!) along the way.

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

Copters I hate as Radarman said, only because I struggle with them so. I do like that decathalon, fun to fly and it can be tricky to slow down enough to land.
AND I STILL CAN"T DOWNLOAD THAT ONE FILE FOR THE CONCORD.....sorry for shouting, but I have every file except this one, New model with animated wipers and 3D afterburner :Hhere. all I get is a 404 file not found error.
Later dudes,

Pro Member Chief Captain

heh, have you heard about the Concorde that crashed in france on takeoff, cause it hit a piece of a MD-88 on the runway. I tried to re-create that incident....it was extremely difficult to control the beast with only one engine operational, but i did manage to turn around and land. I realize the circumstances are different, and that many people died on that flight...matter of fact, it almost brought a tear to my eye reading about it. Let me tell you, no matter what altitude you are at, losing one or more engines, systems or other stuff is pretty exciting. It's just stupid for me to program all 4 engines to go out on a 747 over the ocean, cause it dont land well on the water.

i recreate plane crashes on the computer you can get the stats on all accidents involing all types of crashes etc... it is interesting to study the physics and how and why that crash happened, if you do it right it shows what limatations that craft has and you can learn how to avoid that type of crash and even study famous lost flights as well using charts of that period

Pro Member Chief Captain

That's a cool idea. Heck if you wanna hear something real funny, and now you know why I fly IFR nearly everywhere. I was taking a cessna caravan amphibian for a spin up in alaska. Due to my "superior" landing skills, i managed to put it down on a glacier, and spent the next few minutes taxiing around, looking at the trees and such. What was cool thought was that I managed to taxi right into the water and float around. Then i took back off, and headed home. Well, i turned out to be right on top of the airport at 5,000 feet, so i kinda put it into a rather steep dive, and blew out both the flaps, and the gear. I got one of those AIRCRAFT OVERSTRESSED messages. It was fun while it lasted though...i guess someone should teach me how to be a bush pilot so I can have some fun.

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

My least favorite plane was the Learjet from fs 2000. The King air wasn't much better. The fs 2004 King air still needs some help, but they got the Learjet straightened out very well. It is as sweet and docile as the 737, 777. etc. The early Lear would lift off and go 30-40 Deg. nose up and stall. The damn thing would porpoise like hell on approach and landing. A good landing just wasn't possible.----- disgusting! Mad

watersprite wrote:

Eek! One of my favorite planes is a small, single engine taildragger! (RealAir's Super Decathlon) 😀

My other favorites are also small, single engine planes. Some are quite slow, while others have a bit more power. None of them are boring to fly and land; at least not in my opinion.

These small planes require much more "hands on" flying than do the commercial airliners and business jets. If you enjoy the scenery "eye candy" the sim - and add-ons - have to offer, flying "low and slow" can be anything but boring. Even flying "low and fast" can be fun with some of these planes.

My latest acquisition, the RealAir Super Decatlhon, is an aerobatic trainer, and lots of fun to fly. Its realistic flight and ground handling make it fun to deal with on the ground, during takeoff, during flight, and during the approach and landing. This plane has no flaps, so using just throttle, pitch, glide slope, and perhaps a bit of "slipping", you must reach the runway threshold at just the right speed, altitude, and attitude in order to achieve a good landing. This plane can land on very short runways as well, but if your approach is even a little off, you'll have to go around and try again.

Landing tricycle gear planes (with flaps available as well!) is a lot easier, and more forgiving. Try a realistically modeled single engine taildragger like the RealAir Super Decathlon, then come back here and tell me it's boring to fly! 😉

In "real life", many airline pilots own their own small planes, or rent them, so that when they're not adjusting auto-pilot dials and such between cups of coffeee, they can do some real flying. 😀

My least favorites will have to be the commercial airliners. 😉 The world is interesting from 30,000 feet (I've always enjoyed being a passenger on such flights), but it can be much more interesting a bit closer to the ground. I also just don't like the idea of being an auto-pilot babysitter.

By the way...how many of you simulated airline pilots program random failures into your flights? These are lots of fun in the sim with the "low and slow" planes, and I can imagine that if anything can turn an "auto-pilot babysitting session" into an exciting flight, it would be to have an interesting failure or two (or more!) along the way.

a

watersprite wrote:

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Well I don't enjoy Helicopters much at all, but within the default planes, I hate the 'Extra'.... it's soooo twitchy !

I also think the Wright Flyer's a bit of a joke... but appreciate it's rather important heritage !

Pro Member Chief Captain

GPS-Kid...what makes you think the Wright Flyer has ANY significance...geez dude...I'm gonna chalk that up to the new year hangover...😛😛😛

I agree about the Extra, but i guess if it wasnt, you wouldnt be able to do the aerobatic stuff, well, you COULD, but it'd be real hard

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

I can't share most people's detest for the helicopters because I have learned to control them. It took a solid week of 2 hours a day ONLY flying helos. Helicopters take a lot of feeling to fly, not a lot of smarts. You need to know some basic information, but beyond that it's all about feeling where the helicoptor is going, and just giving it the slight touch or caress to keep it in place. To keep the boring out of learning to fly them, try being inventive in the practice missions you give yourself! Having a goal makes it much easier.

Also, as a general comment about the ATR-72's, they can taxi pretty well, it just takes a different mindset. If you taxi using the pitch of the prop-blades, you should have relatively little trouble. Learning the technique however is challenging.

So to finally answer the question, my least favorite aircraft are the Lockheed Vega and the de Havilland DH-88 Comet. Both of them, especially the Comet, I find to be extremely well rendered and give you the feeling of actualy being in the original cockpits, flying the original record-breaking flights. However, i find that they handle very much like tanks, and are extremely difficult in judging your location relative to the runway. For VFR planes, they have very poor visibilty.

Pro Member First Officer
George (OrlandoGeorge) First Officer

Helos are easy to flip. Hard to judge distance on landing without switching view modes constantly. I have flown them and I agree it takes practice. One of the things that makes FS a challenge.

I am going to be real sacreligious on this one when I tell you gents that I am not a fan of the FS-B747. The throttle is a mess and I have issues with the trim. Wondering how you fellows get the throttle quad to operate in unison? .. Even power applications??? --'Tis beyond me. -???- 🙄

More power!!!! ..watch out 4 that flipping helo!

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

I havn't had much of a problem with the 747's throttle quadrant, but I do find the level of included detail for the default 777 and 747 fairly disappointing. It's annoying when you flip on the pfd and only see 2 black screens on the 747, and what about the blank center displays screens in the VC of the 777?