Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Venting - I'm an idiot!!!! Must stop impulse payware buys!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

I'm so freaking frustrated with myself right now, my first payware plane ever was the PMDG 1900C, lovely piece of kit, always enjoyed it, still fly it the most out of any other of my planes. So today I figured since you really never see 1900C's flying around and there are a ton of the newer D model's at my local airport I'd pick it up, ya know its only 15 bucks. What intrigued me about it was because of the modern avionics, and because the first one is awesome in every way this one can't be any worse.

FREAKING WRONG, I'm totally kicking myself now, sure there are like 30 different repaints you can download off there site, loaded it up, blammo, NOTHING like the C, totally out of date panel, the "new" avionics look like they came from FS98 and none of the pop up panels are integrated like the C and most of the panels are from the planes that come with FS to begin with. Only thing that is SLIGHTLY better, but on the verge of annoying is the sound file with sounds just like the real thing, except a lil more high pitch.

Not mad at PMDG at all by any means, I still plan to get there 737 some day when I get the cajones to do it, just mad at myself for wasting 15 bucks on nothing, probably something I'll never fly, maybe I'll switch the panel around and update it with Reality XP gauges.

Once again, just call me frustrated, now to figure out why FS9 keeps crashing at the same point on the second flight of the session...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

You have my sympathy Solotwo...
Anyway get rid of all things you dont like and freaking you,create a flight over an area with a scenery you love and forget it.... 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Don't be too hard on yourself Solotwo, if one day you manage to eradicate impulsive buying completely, you'll be ready for sainthood. The question is, will you still have an interest in flightsimming then?

I've learned to control my 'impulsive buying' urge somewhat over the years once I'd understood the gravity of it. But of course, theory and practice are always a world apart and I still occasionally fall into the trap. The result? Utter frustration - obviously.

We all manage our affairs in different ways. I can only tell you what I do. But first, why not blow off some steam and blame the shops and marketing and and and... nothing wrong with that: Corporate greed is not a secret!

On reflection, I find that at least 70% of the time when I made an impulsive purchase, the trigger was the claim that this was the last item on the shelf or even in the shop and was impossible to come by in the entire state. LIES, LIES, LIES!!
But we are human, we want it and we want it NOW. And what the heck, it's only 15 clams anyway. But if the product turns out to be rubbish, even 15 bucks hurts.

So if I see the boxed version of an add-on in a shop and can't remember what I've read or haven't read about it, I leave the premises, head for the nearest internet-lounge and do a little snooping. So this will cost me another 3 bucks, but I will have won, whether I'll end up buying the product and being happy with it, or desist buying and being happy not having bought a dud.

If it makes you feel any better, I can assure you that we all have bought add-ons impulsively and later regretted it, whether the individual admits to it or not.

I wouldn't have offered this little epistle had it not been for the fact that for more than 5 months I've suffered utter frustration with FS related issues but have managed to solve most of them by now.
Those bad, sleep-robbing times already seem like ancient history and if not much else, life has taught me one thing - nothing is permanent and it is futile to dwell on the rotten experiences we're bound to meet for as long as we breathe.

Have one 🍻 , make that two 🍻 on me.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I have both the 1900C and the 1900D. You are correct that the 1900C is the better of the two, but give the 1900D a chance. Over time, you'll discover there are subtle differences in flight characterstics that make it interesting to fly.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

i always leave it a week to decide what to buy and read the reviews on avsim, flightsim.com and wherever else. i've looked at the plane myself, and the reviews all said great model - poor panel. the last plane i bought was the pilatus pc12 - beauty.

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

I want to thank you for sharing your experiance. I have been contemplating purchasing one or the other for almost 6 months. If memory seves me I think I was leaning toward the D. Your post definately tipped the scales towad the C. Sorry you had to expeiance dissapointment of expitations from your purchase.

Tanks again for sharing you viewpoint. 👍

matt7723 Guest

Ask PMDG for a refund. They are a good payware company and should be more than happy to oblige.

Pro Member First Officer
Jeff Brock (jeffb57) First Officer

yeah, tell pdmg that you wern't staisfied with your puchase

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Well I actually flew it today, wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, actually enjoyed it quite a bit. So I figured I'd buy the Reality XP Jet Line 2 gauges for it, another big mistake, now I get all kinds of error's popping up when I load up the plane, I think its conflicting now with my DreamFleet Baron with the reality xp goodies. And then when it finally loads after minimizing and then clicking through the 5 error windows when it comes up there is an EXTREMELY freaking loud jet ish noise and it doesn't go away when I turn the sound off. HOW FREAKING COOL IS THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got it to go away once but I have no idea. Then I proceded to load it up at midway and when I unpaused it the plane shot foward at like 500 miles an hour crashing through the ground and doing flips. Wow, thats a great result, gotta love it.

Stupid impulse buys.

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Well Solotwo, if you do like the Beech 1900 series that PMDG makes, then you should check out this. www.aeroworx.com They make the best IMO the best King Air out there. This will probably be one of the best $30 you would spend iif you did get it. It is an amazing airplane. I had her but it didn't suit my type of flying ( I only fly small single engine props).

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Yeah I wanna buy it some day but I'm trying to move up into larger craft, next goal is to buy the ATR 72 by flight 1 once I get enough cash in FSPax.

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

WEll good luck with the ATR. IMO I think that F1 lacks in overall quality. They can excell in certain areas but lack in other areas and this seems to be a continuing tred with them even now with new planes. And you mentioned something about the 737 from PMDG also. Well she is almost 2 years old now, I have it and she is great but she can improve. I am waiting for their MD-11. But the Aeroworx King Air is very nice and you should consider it. What kind of airplanes do you like flying in FS? Also did you hear about the airplane that belly landed at Timmerman?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

I like prop's, trying to get into jets though and larger planes, moving up slowly.

I just wanna play my damn game its got so many issues now its not even funny. Stupid add-on's.

And no I didn't hear about it, when was that?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Well thanks to the great guys at Reality XP I got everything fixed, and we're rolling.

Now for some reason since I got up this morning I've been wanting to buy the Aeroworx B200 for some reason, damn you Jared. Wink

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Well Solotwo you will not regret it, I promise. It is an amazing airplane. Now I am starting to fly it again. Also yesterday afternoon a Cessna 182RG didn't have its gear down and landed on 15L at Timmerman and they had to close down the runway. They didn't know yet whether it was pilot error or mechanical problem.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

the aeroworx b200 is meant to be awesome, it looks it - but not for me.

in regards to the flight1, the two flight one planes i bought are someof the best planes on the market 🙂 the c172 and pc12 hehe. i love my pc12.

the atr may be a little out of date perhaps? something in the same league i suppose would be the do328 from eaglesoft coming soon, even though it is the jet version it should have very similar characteristics as the prop. eaglesoft are guranteed to make an awesome product.

the prop i reccommend would be the saab 340 coming from flight factory - their stuff is excellent quality and will probably only be $15.

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Well It's too bacd that you don't like the King Air. I think it is the best prop out on the market for FS. I have both the PC-12 and the 172 but to me I think that they just lack visual quality especially in the 172. Maybe i've just been spoiled from Carenado.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Well I might buy the ATR in a lil bit here, its what I've been looking for, it was either that or the Pilot in Command ERJ145 but I think I'll start off with the ATR and then get the ERJ.

http://www.simhq.com/_air6/air_201a.html

http://www.simhq.com/_air6/air_202a.html

http://www.simhq.com/_air6/air_203a.html