Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Flaps seem to drag waaaay too much

Sphagnum1 Guest

I downloaded the Lake Renegade plane, 2004 version, from Avsim. It's a great little plane and just what I needed to get my struggling Bush Flying Compnay in Alaska (FSPax) off the ground, so to speak. But this evening as I took off from a gravel strip, my landing gear wouldn't retract, which is a very easy problem to deal with normally. But with this plane, with the gear down and the flaps extended (Don't want to pull them up til I reach 200ft lest i get hit with -350 points! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad ), I could only maintain level flight with around 60kts. I could BARELY climb at like 100 ft/min. I had to dodge, left and right, trees until I had enough altitude to go above them!!! Once I put the flaps in, even with gear down, I could cruise easily to 120kts. Seems the flaps are dragging a bit much... to me anyway.

Here is the flaps section of the aircraft.cfg file. I don't really know what any of this means... can anyone let me know if any of these numbers are way off?

[Flaps.0]
type=1
span-outboard=0.500
extending-time=6.000
system_type=0
damaging-speed=250.000
blowout-speed=300.000
lift_scalar=1.000
drag_scalar=1.65
pitch_scalar=.15
flaps-position.0=0, 0
flaps-position.1=20, 0

Thanks!

Sphagnum1 Guest

Maybe an answer to my own question, but I looked at these numbers for some other smaller aircraft (default cessna 172, 182, and some other ones I've dl) and they all seem to have a drag_scalar=1.00 instead of 1.65. Maybe I'll just change this to 1.0....

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

What flap setting are you using for takeoff? Sounds like your using full flaps. Describe how many flap settings/angles that your aircraft has. Smile

Sphagnum1 Guest

Ah, yes. There is only one flap setting: "on" Smile

This plane, the flaps are either down or up, there are no degrees in between.

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

lol sorry cant help you

maybe you could just not use flaps?

i think it sounds like a good idea Cool

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

amermel wrote:

lol sorry cant help you

maybe you could just not use flaps?

i think it sounds like a good idea Cool

Come on...No its not a good idea... Exclamation

Sphagnum1 Guest

If I use no flaps, I get a -300 penalty for failing to use proper flap settings. And I don't want to disable the penatly because with all other planes you should, and can, use flaps properly.

Btw, I changed that 1.65 to 1.00 and the performance is much better. I can now cruise at 80+ and climb a modest 200-300fpm to clear the 200ft limit that FSPassengers requires you clear before pulling in the flaps...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

This whole thread should be in a dedicated FSPax Forum.

Sphagnum1 Guest

Tailhook wrote:

This whole thread should be in a dedicated FSPax Forum.

Um, not really... the problem I had with the aircraft was with the plane itself, it was only complicated because FSPax was penalizing me... but even without Pax, the fact that you can't climb hardly at all without lifting the flaps is a huge problem with the aircraft...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Would you insist on flying this aircraft if it wasn't for FSPax?

In other words, if the crate doesn't wanna fly properly, why stick to it? I don't have to remind you that there are thousands of great flying freeware aircraft available?