Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Graphics settings help

Pro Member Trainee
navyredman Trainee

I'm so sorry to ask this, because I'm sure it's been asked many times. I've done a search, but it comes up with so many results I couldn't find anything helpful.

Anyway. I have been playing this game since it came out and have played using anything from intigrated grafix cards to newly installed GeForce 6800xt This card rocks, plays Oblivion on high settings flawlessly. The problem I'm having with FS04 is that it's running the same as it's run since I've owned it and used a crappy old computer.

Texture take forever to load, I can't see distant details, building don't completely render, and I have to be right on top of them before they even start rendering

Could somebody please help me set this up right so I can see beautiful grafix like I see screenshots of

I have a Athalon 64 2.2GHz, 2Gig ram, 300 gigs+ of HD, GeForce 6800xt. Way more than enough to run this game flawless, what do I need to do to get it running right?

Thanx in advance for help

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

You may have to go into the video card settings themselves and set them to override Fs9 video settings. I had to do that with my card.

Good luck, sorry I can't offer more help, I'm an ATI guy myself

Pro Member Trainee
navyredman Trainee

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

You may have to go into the video card settings themselves and set them to override Fs9 video settings. I had to do that with my card.

Good luck, sorry I can't offer more help, I'm an ATI guy myself

Cool thanx.

Anybody else?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Chief Captain

Sorry to go off topic, but nice to see you back FEM Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Memory is what makes the textures render quickly.
You either don't have enough (at least 1 gig) or you have too many programs running in the background using up the memory you do have.

Try this program.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Hi there,

First off, RM FSAutostart doesn't work when you have 2gig of memory

You have the same system spec as me, try this out

First goto into your graphics card display settings by right clicking on the desktop. Have your settings like this Arrow

Load up FS and set your settings up like this

Hardware Settings. Make sure the Anti Aliasing is not ticked and let your graphics card do the work

Scenery Settings

Weather Settings

Download this alternative FS9.CFG File on Avsim Arrow

imporved CFG File

Load up the sim and take a quick flight. Now defrag your hard drive.

DISCLAIMER

What I'm about to say you don't have to do. But if you do I can not be held responseable if anything goes wrong

Once this has been finished the final modification to your system registry is required. If your familiar with REGEDIT, add the following key. If you think what the hell is he talking about send me a PM and I'll email you the .reg file that you just click on. This mod stops Windows updating your files last access date on files every time they are read. FS9 uses many files and this setting really helps optimise disk I/O traffic.

Press start then RUN
type REGEDIT
Browse to: hkey_local_machine\system\current controlset\control\filesystem
add DWORD NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate
Change value to 0X1

Now reboot your system

Your system should be running like a dream.

Steve

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Combine the utility RadarMan suggest with this guide Arrow

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/12375/2-minute-guide-to-maximase-your-flight-sim-experience/

I also would like to suggest to set your FS sound to low.
You wont notice any difference by doing this and you give your system some more resources to spend for better appearance.

RAM is a serious point as RadarMancorrect notice.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

WooooW !!!!lLiono i was slow and i see a great post of you when i post mine.Good job Exclamation

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

Nice post Liono Very Happy

Punk

Pro Member Trainee
navyredman Trainee

AWESOME!!!! Thanx guys, I'll let you know how it works!

Pro Member Trainee
navyredman Trainee

Liono! Very Awesome bro, it worked perfect. I set a few things a bit higher, and everything is working GREAT!!!! Very realistic with the Fly USA programs!

Pro Member Chief Captain

Cheers! Glad to be of service navyredman Cheers!

Just remember to defrag your hard drive every couple of weeks.

Liono

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Liono wrote:

Cheers! Glad to be of service navyredman Cheers!

Just remember to defrag your hard drive every couple of weeks.

Liono

And if i may to add something,run a disk clean-up too. Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Hi Liono,

I just tried you suggested hardware settings, and after ajusting the Anti-Aliasing and then restarting flight sim, in full screen mode, the box where your selected aircraft rotate in (on create a flight screen) appears compleatly black!

It only appears when I hit ALT+ENTER and exit full screen mode Confused

Do you know how I can fix this?

Pro Member Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

I have just compleated a few hours flying on the new settings and have more issues to report:

When I load a flight, instead of getting the loading bar in the white box, I now get this:

Also, whenever I go to submenu locations like "Map" "Weather" "Change Aircraft" etc in the ALT menu, I get white flickers across my screen before they load.

Also, my FSNAV becomes compeatly screwed up going all black and juddering now.

Can anyone help me?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Hi CT,

What setting do you have your Anisotropic Filtering (AF) set to? If you have set to high try and turn it down by one (1) notch.

I've hasd this when I have my AF to 16x. But when I turn it 8x it runs fine.

Kemy Guest

HI ,

Sorry to hijack this post but i have been noticing the sane when I changed to my Gigabyte GeForce 7900GT TDH, I can almost max out all the display settings and get decent frameratres when flying, AA is set to 8XS and AF 16X or Even 8X will give me a black window at the plane select window, but all the rest is fine I run @ 1280X1024 and only getting down to 800X600 will show the planes again!!! my system is:

P4 2.4
2 Gig rams
300Gig HD
Geforce 7900GT TDH

Can you help ?

Kemy Guest

My processor is 3.4 not 2.4!!

Thanx

Pro Member Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Hi Liono,
Thanks for your tips.

My Anisotropic Filtering was set to 8X (The highest) so I took it down to 4x and then 2x and didn't notice any differance at all, so I set it back to "application controller"

Here is a screenshot I took while looking in the settings, mabye it will help if you can see what I see:

Was this the right thing to do? Are you meant to restart your PC after changing the videocard settings?

Another question, what does "Anisotropic Filtering" mean exactly, when I lowerd the settings all I could notice that different was my runways looked really crap quaility???

Also, why does it matter if the Anisotropic Filtering is application controlled or controlled using the graphics card?

I have also taken screenshots of my "Display Settings" if anyone could have a look at them and tell me what I need to change:

Arrow http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f242/andrewu16/displayset1.jpg
Arrow http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f242/andrewu16/displayset2.jpg

Thanks,
CT

Pro Member Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

**~BUMP~**

I'm still looking for answers if anyone can help Exclamation

Pro Member Chief Captain

Hi Cheeky

Here is what Wikipedia says about Anisotropic Filtering. Have you tried turning down your Antialiasing setting?
Here is Wikipedia says about Antialiasing

Here is a screenshot showing what AA & AF I'm using

Antialiasing Setting

Anisotropic Filtering setting

Hope this helps.