SearchSearch 

autopilot

I don`t know if this is off topic or not, but is it okay to use autopilot for takeoff? Example: Taxi onto runway, stop on hold short, do flaps, set speed for 240 knts(b737), turn autopilot on, on V1 click on the altitude, and go. I just want to know if that would be safe or not. And by the way, I set autopilot before takeoff.

8 Responses

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

I have tried that in the past and I found that it over pitches and scrapes the tail.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

you should hand fly the take-off. i do suggest using autothrottle though, that is common practice in the real world anyway.

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

I agree with hinch you shouldn't use autopilot on take-off.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Just to add, it isn't one of those pilot preference things as to whether you use AP on takeoff. It is forbidden and deemed unsafe. The AP in commercial jets (at the moment) is not made for takeoff 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) First Officer

takeoff is the only stage of a flight in which the autopilot is banned by FAA rules and regulations

setting the autopilot before takeoff is another story... I do it all the time, and so do many real-world pilots.. but it is never turned on until after takeoff, and in some cases, not until about 10,000 feet or so (depending on the pilot's desire to manually control the aircraft)

i suppose nobody is going to yell at you if you do it in flight sim, but it's very unrealisitc and un-advisable.

always do your takeoffs by hand 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Mustangfreak First Officer

I tried it once with PSPass. running. The passengers didn't seem to like the tail hitting the ground. 😳

Pro Member First Officer
Jeff Brock (jeffb57) First Officer

take offs (in my opinion) aren't hard enough to use autopilot

Sphagnum1 Guest

Well heck, you could set autopilot for approach when you get close and let the plane fly ITSELF from one airport to another... who need pilots! 😉