Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

VOR with jets

Hello,
I know that in order to do an ILS approach with autopilot, I need to set the frequency and stuff. On a default 737, how do I set my VOR1 thing to the heading of the runway? I can do it on a Cessna, but I can't figure it out with a B-737. Help would be appreciated. Smile

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

You don't set the heading of the runway in the NAV1. Put the heading of the runway in your CRS window and the ILS frequency in the NAV1 window Wink

What is the CRS window, and how do I get to it? Question

Pro Member Chief Captain

The CRS window can be found in varying locations depending on aircraft.
In the default 737 it can be found on the MCP, next to heading select Wink

Pro Member Trainee
Nineball Trainee

I have a related question. After setting the CRS to the heading of the runway, and setting Nav1 to the localizer frequency, how do I read the omni-bearing indicator in the jets? They don't look anything like the gauges in the various Cessna aircraft. I have figured out that the "broken" arrow tells me how far from the heading I am, but I can't seem to find anything similar for the glideslope.

Pro Member Chief Captain

In jets, the PFD displays the ILS info. The idea is to 'chase' the needles. When both are centred, this indicates that you are on the runway centerline and descending at the correct rate to land on the runway touchdown zone Wink