SearchSearch 

A hint about unwanted posts...

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

I know that those mysterious guests have been getting clever about their message posting, and sadly finding the perfect times between moderator shifts to give them the maximum coverage, but as a hint in the meantime:

The more you reply to them with comments about how non-sensical they are, the more it bumps their posts up to the top of the forum. Ignore them and they will slide down into nowhere rather quickly!

21 Responses

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Thanks you for clearing this up with many people OG. Also how do you like your Carenado planes.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

originalgrunge wrote:

I know that those mysterious guests have been getting clever about their message posting, and sadly finding the perfect times between moderator shifts to give them the maximum coverage, but as a hint in the meantime:

The more you reply to them with comments about how non-sensical they are, the more it bumps their posts up to the top of the forum. Ignore them and they will slide down into nowhere rather quickly!

You are oh so right OG.
Unfortunately even those members who have already managed to figure this out for themselves won't heed this advice because it could deprive them of a few posts.
Sadly, this is what it has turned into, a race for the most posts.
Some time ago, as you might recall, Flyaway had the 'brilliant' idea of increasing the number of posts one had to accumulate in order to get promoted to the next level. WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

If anything, the number of posts should have been decreased - or even better, promote each new member to Chief Captain straight away, add 1 million to his post count and possibly this nonsense could have been put an end to.

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

I totally agree with you tailhook. I think that due to the fact that their is a ranking system, more bogus, stupid posts are mad just to increase their rank. Maybe the ranking should be based on months or years at this forum. Maybe thats something to think about. Not only because I have only been here almost 2 YEARS. Wow thats is odd. I have never tohught of it that way.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

How about no ranks or post counts at all.
Just the date you registered as Tailhook once suggested.
Ranks are fine and fun until we get inundated by juvenile "post whores".
3 newbies in particular.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

That sounds good RM. Only the date you joined this once great group of people. Also I do know what new members you are talking about.

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

yes I know that I have been around over a year and I have a horrible amount of posts. But I agree with all of you.

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Totally agree with Tailhook. Some of the post om recent day's have been stupid. I mean what member would post three or four post in the off-topic one after the other. Oh yeah that was me 😀

Pro Member First Officer
Jeff Brock (jeffb57) First Officer

i am sorry, i thought that i was helping by telling people putting bogus posts up to take their trash somewhere else. Crying or Very sad

Pro Member First Officer
Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) First Officer

im totally agreed with you here..

i could care less if i had 2 posts or 2000 posts... and i could also care less about this ranking system..

too bad some members see it as a chance to show their "superiority" 😕

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I only have one question. Will the software the forum runs on allow you to disable the post counts?

I know the software I use at Omega-Air.org allows the ranks to be turned off, but not the post count.

Since I don't use PHP-Nuke, I have no idea if it can be done.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

I only have one question. Will the software the forum runs on allow you to disable the post counts?

I know the software I use at Omega-Air.org allows the ranks to be turned off, but not the post count.

Yes, you can enable or disable almost anything.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

CrashGordon wrote:

Yes, you can enable or disable almost anything.

Radar

That sounds like there is light at the end of the tunnel 👍

Pro Member First Officer
simon roourke (simon123) First Officer

and what do they hope to gain from bumps their posts up to the top of the forum, do they get paid for it ❓

i dont think so Dont Know Oops!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

pilotguy44 wrote:

i could care less if i had 2 posts or 2000 posts... and i could also care less about this ranking system..

My post is Off Topic! from the post and I apologise but this has always sparked my curiosity so I have to ask.

I was just wondering why it is Americans and Canadians say "I could care less" when trying to express how little interest they have in something.

Surely saying you could care less indicates you actually do have some level of care about it in the first place?

"I couldn't care less" makes more sense, has it just been abbreviated to exclude the "n't" out of language laziness over time and become a sort of slang?

Sorry to detract from the post 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

Well,i think it's a good idea that post numbers and ranks are removed,but what about party?I guess there are birthdays and spceial occasions,but still.oh well.oh,and maybe we should say the names of the posters so that they know who we are talking about.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

I saw on another forum a different method of giving new users to a forum an idea of who the experienced and longer term members were.

It co-incidentally displayed the post count and a rank (as optional) as well but primarily it was lead by a star system..

You had up to five stars as an indication of activity - people who posted lots had more stars filled in than those who didn't, no one has to know how many posts you need to get a particular star you just know that some people are more active than others.

I must say it is strange, I have never known a forum before where post counts were routinely celebrated, when I have done I have done so as I assumed it was just the done thing here.

Would it be better if perhaps the ranks were change to "New Member", "Been here a while", "Been here a long time", "All i do is post"

then the "rank" concept is gone.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

pilotguy44 wrote:

My post is Off Topic! from the post and I apologise but this has always sparked my curiosity so I have to ask.

I was just wondering why it is Americans and Canadians say "I could care less" when trying to express how little interest they have in something.

Surely saying you could care less indicates you actually do have some level of care about it in the first place?

"I couldn't care less" makes more sense, has it just been abbreviated to exclude the "n't" out of language laziness over time and become a sort of slang?

Sorry to detract from the post 🙂

It is a common mistake. Just like people who think the word unique can be modified by very or somewhat, etc. We seem to be living in an age where very few people give a damn about such things. 😞

Sorry I moved this even more off-topic.

Pro Member First Officer
Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) First Officer

we don't speak english over here anymore... we have mutilated it to the point where I think we can just say "I speak American"

lol 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

looool
yeah,i've seen the star system before,it's a good idea.I think we should adopt it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

The only difference between a 'star system' and a 'rank system' is the little picture you see.

Joined date only, I say.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I agree, though somewhat reluctantly. It is probably more sensible than finding those who post for no other reason than running up their post count and rank, and giving them a smack upside the head. 🙄

Joined date ought to be sufficient.