SearchSearch 

Bye Bye McDonnel Douglas

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Well it is sad to say but they are now gone. After the last 717 was made that marked the end of the line for them. That is sad to me b/c I mainly did fly on thier jets and absolutly loved them. But I do have a treat to see them everyday almost as that is what Midwest Airlines operates.

15 Responses

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

Are they no longer producing 717s, or planes in general? Their MD-80 series has been so popular I could hardly imagine them ceasing that production!

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

lol yeah I love the MD-80 series I can even imagine them stopping production of that series.
Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Oh yes, the 717 was the last airplanes that MD manufactured. Now that they have ceased production on the 717. That will mark an end to the MD line. It is a very dissapointing thing. Well for me atleast.

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

hm.. 717. never heard of that plane. I'll google it for some pics.

and yes, I totally agree. the MD-80 series is awesome. fortunately the planes are still in use even though they cut the production

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

I wish that the 717 wasnt halted in production...

It was a sweet design

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

Here is a totally sweet pic of the MD-80

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

SeanGa wrote:

and yes, I totally agree. the MD-80 series is awesome. fortunately the planes are still in use even though they cut the production

Well It basically looks like a DC-9-30 but with some bigger engines. But overall it is a completely re-done aircraft. Also it is so awesome and I am glad that I had the chance to fly on her at least once. Here a link to the last one ever made.
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1031297/L/

Pro Member First Officer
Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) First Officer

correct me if i am wrong.. but didn't the MD-80 go out of production years ago?

the only ones in production now are the MD-90 and the MD-95 (aka - 717)

and mcdonnell douglas has technically not been an independent company for almost a decade now.. i thought boeing bought them out back in the 90's to form "McDonnell-Douglas/Boeing"

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

I'm thinking the same PG hence the name the Boeing 717 Dont Know

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Oh PG you are completely correct. The MD-80 has been out of production for years. I tink since the early 90's if I am correct. Also yes, they have veen joined with Boeing since the 90's also. But they did make the 717 in the origional MD facility if I am correct. Please correct me if I am wrong. If you look at the picture in one of my second replies, there was an awesome pic infront of the MD facility. Also the production of the MD-90 ceased around 1999 once the final order were up.

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=111 That can give you some more info on the 717. Oh yes and also the production of the 717 was made in the origional MD plant where the MD-80 and DC-9 were made.

Pro Member First Officer

no you're right jared.. i didnt think the 90 went out of production too, but it makes sense 😉

yes.. the MD-95 technically went out of production.. and then was continued when MD merged with Boeing as the 717. so this is a trick question, lol.. becuase the aircraft is the same physical craft.. it just got a legal name change 😂

also.. the 717 is actually a DC-9-50 body with completely modernized features. (the biggest differences are the engines and the flight deck.. which is now a "glass cockpit")

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

SeanGa wrote:

Don't be shy, just ask... forget Google when you have competent moderators. You can fly this baby, read this thread and start downloading
https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/9451/717-200/

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

pilotguy44 wrote:

no you're right jared.. i didnt think the 90 went out of production too, but it makes sense 😉

yes.. the MD-95 technically went out of production.. and then was continued when MD merged with Boeing as the 717. so this is a trick question, lol.. becuase the aircraft is the same physical craft.. it just got a legal name change 😂

also.. the 717 is actually a DC-9-50 body with completely modernized features. (the biggest differences are the engines and the flight deck.. which is now a "glass cockpit")

Oh so it is a 50 series body. Well I guess I didn't know that since I have never seen a side by side comparison. But if you look in comparison of passenger capacity, then it does make sense.

Pro Member First Officer

well i always went by passenger capacity.. but it actually could also be a DC-9-40 body... the 40 and 50 series are very close in size.. 😕