Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Time to switch off?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Those of you folks who switch off your computer before you go to bed -- do you also switch off your ADSL Modem, or should it be left on?

Is there a reason for doing it one way or another?

Appreciate your advice Hack

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

Can't see any reason why it matters, to be honest. Doesn't draw much power, doesn't pose a risk to your PC if that PC is not switched on. But if you chose to switch it off, all I can think of is that it's yet another switch to hit when you boot. Not important, is my view.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

I have a cable modem so not the same but, I don't think it matters, I find it more convenient to leave mine on as it takes a few minutes to sort itself out when its been turned off. I don't know what the boot and connect times are on ADSL modems.

Also leaving mine on seems to hold my dynamic IP address locked to it so I don't have issues with the office VPN.

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

I turn my ADSL modem off from time to time just so it resets.

As for my PC I always turn if off .... leaving it on means your fans clog up quicker if nothing else

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

kianok wrote:

I turn my ADSL modem off from time to time just so it resets.

As for my PC I always turn if off .... leaving it on means your fans clog up quicker if nothing else

I turn my ADSL modem off from time to time just so it resets. That's precisely what I was wondering about and is the part I don't understand.

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

I use NTL as my service provider and from time to time they make changes to the servers, conection speed and so on.

In order for the changes to take effect the modem needs to be reset, so just to make sure i'm getting my moneys worth i turn it off.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

This is one of those areas where there is no single correct answer. There are those who say turning off and turning on a piece of electronic equipment does more damage than leaving it on. This may be true if that equipment runs without too much heat and is on a surge protected power source. I somehow doubt that it matters that much with an ADSL modem.

I don't know of any advantage of resetting the modem, except to get a new IP address on a dynaminc IP range. This might be advisable if someone is targeting your IP address, but otherwise, does not accomplish anything. Your ISP will probably change your IP address from time to time, in any event.

I leave mine on because it is connected to a router/firewall/wireless network, and I occasionaly will connect with my PDA in the middle of the night.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

kianok wrote:

I use NTL as my service provider and from time to time they make changes to the servers, conection speed and so on.

In order for the changes to take effect the modem needs to be reset, so just to make sure i'm getting my moneys worth i turn it off.

That is a good point that I hadn't thought of. Mine sends email notices of such things so I know when it is needed.

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

A little while ago NTL upgraded all of it's customers from 1meg to 1.5 free of charge.

For all those users who haven't bothered to reset there modems, they are still on the 1meg service.

Agreed this doesn't happen every day, however servers are upgraded and the service re routed from time to time without notification, thus the advantage of reseting every now and then.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The cable company (Time Warner) told me to leave it on all the time.
The only time I shut it off is when I'm having a connection problem. 20 seconds goes by and I plug it in again to reconnect. This very rare but it's good to know.
As an aside I have been advised to turn on my monitor before boot up in the morning and shut it off after the computer shuts down at night.
That should start an entirely new discussion.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
lenin Captain

I turn ours off because it gets very hot on top so i just turn it off. There is no reason for it to be on so why have it on is what i say!

Pro Member Captain
Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) Captain

well my cable provides phone service to our house.. and also provides to a router for our internet service.. so my modem always needs to be on.. but in your case i don't see the harm in leaving it on anyway.. Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I turn it off.

Pro Member Captain
lenin Captain

why waist electricity?

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

I always turn my modem off when i'm not on the net because I always thought that if you leave it on, your leaving your PC vulnerable to hackers and trojans etc.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Computer- off
Cable modem(no on/off switch)-always on.
Smile

Pro Member First Officer
Jeff Brock (jeffb57) First Officer

my modem doesn't even have an off switch Laughing

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

jeffb57 wrote:

my modem doesn't even have an off switch Laughing

no but it has a plug..... doesn't it????

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Thanks for all your replies folks, my concern was with an ADSL modem as most of you have been able to discern from my garbled English.

You've given me plenty to think about, I appreciate that. It appears that this issue isn't as clear cut after all.

One question remains: When installing large applications/programs, we are always prompted to shut down any other programs that might be running in the background and to disable the Anti-virus program.
I have always followed that advice religiously.
So now, when I disable my AV while installing an app, but don't switch off my ADSL modem, doesn't that make me 'super' -vulnerable to an attack? Dont Know

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Well I have a DSL modem and I leave it on but it does tend to build up some heat. So I want to turn it off. Also sometimes it does take a long time to reestablish itself once I turn it back on

Now on the other hand with my cable modem, whenever my computer is off, my cable modem is off.