What the? Expedite Climb?

Ivan08 Guest

WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHEN THE AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SAYS PLEASE EXPEDITE YOUR CLIMB TO FL190!!!

I KNOW EXPEDITE MEANS TO ACCELERATE BUT WHAT IS FL190?

Answers 24 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

FL190 = 19000 feet 😉

Ivan08 Guest

ohhhhh

Ivan08 Guest

ohhhhh thanks

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

🍻

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

In shameless self promotion, read my post and the others here:

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/8090/altimeter-2992/

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Ivan08 wrote:

WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHEN THE AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SAYS PLEASE EXPEDITE YOUR CLIMB TO FL190!!!

I KNOW EXPEDITE MEANS TO ACCELERATE BUT WHAT IS FL190

expedite has nothing to do with accelaration.

To expedite means to execute (something - like an action or instruction) promptly.

What happens when ATC instructs you to expedite your descend... are you going to accelerate 😳 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I believe Ivan08 was referring to acceleration of rate of climb not forward speed.

English

Transitive verb
to expedite

to accelerate the progress of something
to process something fast and efficiently
Retrieved from "http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/expedite"
🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

CRJCapt wrote:

I believe Ivan08 was referring to acceleration of rate of climb not forward speed.

English

Transitive verb
to expedite

to accelerate the progress of something
to process something fast and efficiently
Retrieved from "http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/expedite"
🙂

I don't allow myself to 'believe' what someone might or might not mean, instead I try to make sense out of what has actually been said or written.

English

verb trans formal
expedite

to execute (something) promptly.
Retrieved from Penguin English Dictionary
ISBN 0-141-01679-5
🙂

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

Unnecessary confusion.

If ATC says "expedite your climb to FL190" they mean "please hurry up and climb to FL190". They don't care whether you do it by opening the throttle, raising the nose, or divine intervention. They just want you to do it.

Pro Member Trainee
MRGPS Trainee

I really enjoy the humour in this forum.
I sometimes log in when I am low, not to get any FS help but simply to laugh.

you guys here are the best!!!!!

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Tailhook do remember things can be meant in different ways...just because you are right in your own little world does not mean someone else is wrong

Sphagnum1 Guest

His question was what FL190 means.... What the hell difference does it make to know the definition of expedite? I know y'all want to bump up that "Number of Posts" number, but sheesh... 🙄

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

Sphagnum1 wrote:

His question was what FL190 means.... What the hell difference does it make to know the definition of expedite

I agree with that...... without splitting hairs he knows the meaning of "expedite"

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

PH wrote:

Tailhook do remember things can be meant in different ways...just because you are right in your own little world does not mean someone else is wrong

I think you are a real world pilot to some degree at least. As such, you would be well aware that in aviation there are standards to be followed when communicating on air.

One of the first things we learn is that nine becomes niner, four becomes fower etc. and for obvious reasons. Even folks who have no interest in aviation will have noticed that the communication between flightcrew and ATC are always conducted in an almost jovial manner - again for reasons you at least would be aware of.

Expedite... you might find this difficult to fathom in your big world --- but in my own little world I have discovered that the average college student has never even heard of the word, let alone understand it's meaning. Hence my attempt to avoid confusion in regards to 'expedite'.

You obviously have the wrong impression of me because I'm outspoken and absolutely detest grovelling - I guess what makes it even more confusing is that I refrain from using rude language, engaging in personal attacks and I dare to disagree and even critisize when I think it's appropriate.
This does not mean that I'm trying to change your opinion or your way of thinking. I would point out to you though, that unprovoked remarks such as ...just because you are right in your own little world does not mean someone else is wrong are uncalled for and trigger discontent which too often leads to unnecessary arguments. I have no doubt that as an adult you would agree with me.

Now, I do have a request - if I may.

Would you be kind enough and explain to all of us why ATC uses expedite instead of - say: 'Follow my orders' or 'Do immedeately what I just told you' or other nonsense?

Regards and greetings from my own little world Bow Down

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

Sphagnum1 wrote:

His question was what FL190 means.... What the hell difference does it make to know the definition of expedite? I know y'all want to bump up that "Number of Posts" number, but sheesh... 🙄

Because the definitions of words are important. Because OP mentioned the idea that "expedite" means "accelerate", and that is an ambiguous term. Yes, it does mean "accelerate" (in a way), but in the context of flying an aircraft that has a couple of meanings:

1) Increase the speed of your airplane
2) Hurry up and do what we're asking

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Sphagnum1 wrote:

Like Antone has suggested, the guest may be interested in knowing and may even be thankful for knowing the exact meaning of the word - after all, aren't a lot of people here to learn something new - as a learning curve?

😉

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

1) Increase the speed of your airplane
2) Hurry up and do what we're asking

Actually in aviation "expedite" does not mean #1 ever. It is always followed by an action (climb, descent, turn) and means only "do <action> faster".

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

Bindolaf wrote:

Actually in aviation "expedite" does not mean #1 ever. It is always followed by an action (climb, descent, turn) and means only "do <action> faster".

Thanks for the clarification. In my limited flightsim experience, ATC doesn't really seem to care about your speed.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

tailhook, read it as sarcasm and enjoy it.

relieve tension with fluff.

soothing huh?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I'm so glad I kept out of this one. ROFL

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

If I said I'm not confused, I'd be lying Hack

The burdens a genius has to bear -- it can get oh so lonely at the top Geek

Ok, bring it on Devil ROFL

Ivan08 Guest

I can go to fl190 but from paris to venice i believe i have to do fl270 which was impossible i could only go to 20000 and so it caused my atc to be terminated. And sometimes im flying up to fl190 and im at 19000 it will say your 300 above or 200 above your current assigned altitude. Whats up with that.

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

Ivan08 wrote:

I can go to fl190 but from paris to venice i believe i have to do fl270 which was impossible i could only go to 20000 and so it caused my atc to be terminated. And sometimes im flying up to fl190 and im at 19000 it will say your 300 above or 200 above your current assigned altitude. Whats up with that.

When you file an IFR flight plan, you need to specify a requested altitude. ATC will assume this is where you want to be. If you change your mind for some reason, you need to request and get permission for an altitude change before you actually do it.

I find that the default altitudes suggested in the flight planner seem bizarre.

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hey there!

You're correct that "expedite" in this context refers to accelerating the process, specifically in reference to your climb. When air traffic control (ATC) asks you to expedite your climb, they're requesting that you increase your vertical speed in order to reach the assigned altitude more quickly. This is usually due to traffic separation, airspace constraints, or other factors that might require a faster climb rate.

As for "FL190," this term stands for Flight Level 190. Flight levels are a standardized way of referring to altitudes in aviation, with each flight level representing an altitude of 100 feet. So, FL190 translates to an altitude of 19,000 feet. When ATC instructs you to expedite your climb to FL190, they're asking you to accelerate your ascent until you reach an altitude of 19,000 feet.

Here's a brief breakdown of the terminology used:

• Expedite: Accelerate the process (in this case, your climb)
  • FL: Flight Level
  • 190: 19,000 feet altitude

Keep in mind that when you receive instructions from ATC, it's important to follow them promptly in order to maintain safety and efficiency within the airspace. If you're unable to comply with an ATC instruction, be sure to communicate that as soon as possible so that they can provide an alternative or adjust their plans accordingly.

If you're looking for more information on ATC communication, you can refer to official resources like the FAA's Aeronautical Information Manual or the SKYbrary ATC Portal. These sources will provide comprehensive information on standard phraseology, procedures, and best practices in aviation communication.

Hope this clears up any confusion! Feel free to ask if you have any more questions or need further clarification. Enjoy your flights!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...