Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Please help...I forgot what to do

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Please help me,

I am having some issues with all my aircraft always turning to the right.

It happened before, and I somehow fixed it but cannont remember how! Embarassed

I seem to remember it having something to do with "NAV/GPS" switch on (Outline in a red box), but it still happens in all my aircraft, even if I am flying VFR without a flight plan.

I deleted my "default flight" from the fs9.cfg which I thought was causing the probelm (Like I had saved the flight with the wrong autopliot settings) but it still has not fixed it.

Can someone explain, I am sure it is something simple I am missing here, at the moment I keep having to use CTRL+H to hold my heading which is annoying.

Thanks,
CT

10 Responses

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

If you don't have a VOR tuned to your NAV1, with the course set on the corresponding gauge, activating the "Nav hold" on the autopilot usually drives the plane in a circle in FS9. If you have a route loaded in your GPS (i.e., loading a flight plan with FS), you can switch your autopilot over to GPS and it should follow that path.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

What do you mean when you say they always turn to the right?

Is this when you engage the AP when you have the NAV/GPS switch on GPS?

If you just want to maintain heading, then it shouldn't matter whether its on NAV/GPS, but GPS is the best option. Sorry if this seems vague, but I'm a bit confused as to your problem 😕

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

What do you mean when you say they always turn to the right?

For example, I reset the cfg so the default flight was the C172 at Meigs.

I run down the runway, with out taking off and my plane starts moving to the right of the runway and then once in the air, the plane continues turning to the right, with out autopilot even engauged!

Pro Member Chief Captain

Is the turning extremely dramatic, so you can't control the aircraft?

If it isn't it is probably the effects of the slipstream. The propellor turns to the left, so it creates a left turning backward spiral towards the vertical stabaliser and rudder, which hits the vertical stabiliser and rudder on the right hand side, which creates lift on the right hand side of the stabiliser so it pushes it to the left and pushes the nose to the right - the left / right turning tendency. It depends on which way the propellor spins.
To correct this, use differential brakes (in smaller aircraft) and the rudder in bigger aircraft to stay centered.

If the aircraft is actually turning right, as in banking right after take off, then I'm not too sure what it can be, if AP isn't even switched on.

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Is the turning extremely dramatic, so you can't control the aircraft?

No, it just annoying continues to bank to the right, and I have to correct the aircraft every few seconds.

I will try "differential brakes" though, but I am not sure if I just have to turn them on, or hold them down for the whole flight to correct the banking?

It didn't happened before so I don't see why it should happend now all of a sudden?

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

might it be something with your joystick/yoke? try disconnecting it and fly with the keyboard to see if the same thing occurs

Pro Member Chief Captain

SeanGa wrote:

might it be something with your joystick/yoke? try disconnecting it and fly with the keyboard to see if the same thing occurs

It doesn't really sound like a slipstream problem if you are banking. It doesn't really sound anything aeronautic if your AP is disengaged, so as SeanGa suggested, it is probably your joystick, especially if it has just started now 😉

To use differential brakes, just press F11 and F12 for left and right braking (respectively). You just need to hold them down until you are happy with the heading of the aircraft on the runway.

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Ahhhhhhhh now I remember, that is how I fixed it last time- just a quick re-calibration!

Thank you soooo much guys, it is all sorted now 😂 😂 😂

What would I do with out the friendly help at flyaway?

😀

Pro Member Chief Captain

cheekytrolly wrote:

Ahhhhhhhh now I remember, that is how I fixed it last time- just a quick re-calibration!

Thank you soooo much guys, it is all sorted now 😂 😂 😂

What would I do with out the friendly help at flyaway?

😀

😂

Glad you got it sorted 😉

🍻

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

calibration for the win baybé