Turning on the ground??

TimTim Guest

Hi everyone!!

I was wondering, how come the turning on the ground in Flight Simulator in jets such as the 737-400 is so bad?? In real planes, the turning is much more sharper, and you can even see it real sharp in the AI planes

On the ground, I steer with the rudder controls, but I don't have rudder pedals, I just use the Numpad buttons...

Is there any way to get the planes to turn as sharp and quickly as they do in real life planes??

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
freedspeak First Officer

Sometimes just using the rudder pedals dont cut it. You have to use differential braking as well. This is most easily accomplished by using a pedal set with toe brakes such as the CH Pro pedals.

Pro Member First Officer
Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) First Officer

..the rudder pedals alone will not turn the aircraft sharply on the ground.. you need to use differential brakes as well..

i don't even know the key command for differential brakes because i use a CH yoke and rudder pedals... which i would highly recommend for any flight simmer.

the rudder pedals alone are amazing.. with full yaw and differential toe brakes.

..i haven't had one bad landing yet since i got the CH stuff back in december 😉 👍 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Make sure also, that your speed is no more than 15kts (groundspeed, not KIAS) when turning and use differential brake in the turn 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

gah the numpad is painful to taxi with. the diff brakes are f11 and f12 (for right and left).

my joystick can be twisted, it gives a lot more control over taxiing - not just medium left or medium right, but the whole range depending how much i twist.

TimTim Guest

So how exactly would I go about taxing with the keyboard using differntial brakes and numbad keys??

Just say I wanted to turn right, would I press Num-Enter and F12 together or what??

I'm afraid I'm not serious enough to go out and buy rudder pedals and all that

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

You haven't mentioned yet whether you actually have a joystick or not and whether it has a twisthandle.

If you have, it's easy -- twist the stick for your rudder and apply differential breaking simultaneously if required, using the keys hinch pointed out.

TimTim Guest

Oh sorry, I have a joystick (Saitek ST90) but it doesn't twist.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Ok, since it doesn't twist, I would try to use the Num Pad as you normally do and additionally do the differential bit when required.

Since we're only taxiing at the moment that shouldn't be a problem once you get the speed right... why don't we have three hands instead of two?

N167SJ Guest

Greetings-

I have an additional question kinda' on this same topic. I have both the Flight Yoke and Rudder Pedals from CH Products. They are marvelous!! However, since I am a pilot, I have noticed something 'small' but annoying. How can I NOT have the Flight Yoke turn the plane on the ground??!! When I am taxing, both the Flight Yoke and the Rudder Pedals will steer the plane. This also prevents me from flying a 'slip' on a cross-wind landing. Any thoughts?? - THANKS!

Pro Member Trainee
wscott52 Trainee

N167SJ wrote:

Greetings-

I have an additional question kinda' on this same topic. I have both the Flight Yoke and Rudder Pedals from CH Products. They are marvelous!! However, since I am a pilot, I have noticed something 'small' but annoying. How can I NOT have the Flight Yoke turn the plane on the ground??!! When I am taxing, both the Flight Yoke and the Rudder Pedals will steer the plane. This also prevents me from flying a 'slip' on a cross-wind landing. Any thoughts?? - THANKS!

Go to Aircraft/Realism settings and disable autorudder.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...