SearchSearch 

Mip-Maps useless?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

The file descriptions of downloadable textures often contain a reference to the fact that they don't contain mip-maps.

It sounds as if it's a good thing when there are no mip-maps.

My question is, if mip-maps are no good or useless -- why do they exist in the first place?

8 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

they are evil on planes no question.

mip maps are meant to use a lower resolution image the further you are away from something, primarily to save pc power for other things. in flight sim it also gives us a bit of distance blur too...

i find them more annoying than helpful and they definately consume some computing power.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

The Gods will reward you with eternal bliss for the service you're providing... if indeed you're telling the truth. Yes

So, let's say I avoid textures that use mips. Wouldn't that render my mip-map settings ineffective? - Meaning, it wouldn't really matter how I adjust my slider?

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

yes. if you can be arsed to convert thousands of textures to none mipped 32 bit or dxt3

i do with every plane i download it seems 😞 mip maps truly are useless in my opinion.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Thanks hinch - I think I'm getting the drift.

Now it's just a question of recognizing prior to installing which ones are mipped and which ones aren't Hack

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

easy peasy. if you go in to view the textures folder, then right click and choose view as thumbnails. see which ones generate the thumbnails and which don't. if they make thumbnails they are 32bit ot dxt1. if they look a bit poo when opened they are dxt1 so don't worry. if they have a small filesize they're dxt1. if the texture is like 4mb it will be 32bit and more than likely mipped. if you have dxtbmp you can open it in there and re-save it to dxt3, which makes it a tasty 1mb.

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

ok I now put my mip-mapping quality bar to zero.. is this good or bad?

edit: haha that was DEFINITELY very bad!!!!!!

Now I get everything 🙂 mip-mapping quality is good to have, but mip-mapping sucks.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

it's meant to save your computing power, but it just doesn't, it makes a 1mb file into 4mb. enough said.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

hinch wrote:

easy peasy. if you go in to view the textures folder, then right click and choose view as thumbnails. see which ones generate the thumbnails and which don't. if they make thumbnails they are 32bit ot dxt1. if they look a bit poo when opened they are dxt1 so don't worry. if they have a small filesize they're dxt1. if the texture is like 4mb it will be 32bit and more than likely mipped. if you have dxtbmp you can open it in there and re-save it to dxt3, which makes it a tasty 1mb.

Much appreciated 🍻