Day Out at the Aiport

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

Today I went out to KLAS, for a little plane spotting. We were listening to the Tower, when I heard this:

Tower: Allegiant 962, I see smoke from your tires, do you need assistence?

Allegiant 962: We will park on the holding pad, please send the trucks.

Tower: Fire crew is on it's way.

Last transmission heard. There was smoke but no fire. The a/c taxied to the gate and everyone was all right. Wish i had my camera.

-Have any of you ever been on a plane when something like this has happened? Glad I haven't. Yet.

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

I'm guessing that the brakes might of caught fire. Which can then possibly spread to the tires.

I've had this happen more then once while racing my own car, well not the tires starting on fire but my brakes have been flaming. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

Man you were lucky to hear a transmission like that, I always listen to my scanner but never hear any real emergencies 😉

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

can someone tell me more about these scanners? where do you get them, how much do they cost, and on what range can you use them? I live like 7-8 kilometers from the airport

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

Well.....

An airband scanner is a piece of equipment that allows you to recieve real world live ATC transmissions between pilots and controllers. There are many models out there, I have the PSR-282 which i'd recommend although its quite bulky. In terms of range, mine can seem to pick up the transmissions of aircraft from up to 200 miles around, i.e. I hear aircraft descending into London from my location but I live in a quite low lying region. As for hearing controllers, mine struggles unless the station is within 10 miles, this can increase if the weather's really nice. I'd certainly recommend you buying one, I got mine for £90.

Some good ones can be found from... ➡

www.transair.co.uk

😉 😀 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Jeff Brock (jeffb57) First Officer

if you don't want the bulk fo stationary scanners, you can get a handheld scanner. they however don't have a far range, but the airport i listen to is 100 yards from my house 😀 . handhelds are much cheaper, but are really only good for people when they are next to the airport watching planes or if you live close to an airport. if you want, you can buy an outdoor antenna so you can listen to a further range. just be careful with it near power lines

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

I should have added that I was not using a scanner. You can listen to KLAS tower on your radio, but you haft to be parked over by the touchdown zone of rwy 25L. Wish I had a scanner though.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

PanAmerican wrote:

I should have added that I was not using a scanner. You can listen to KLAS tower on your radio, but you haft to be parked over by the touchdown zone of rwy 25L. Wish I had a scanner though.

Yeah they have that same feature here at KMKE. I have also used a scanner before.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...