Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Airbus pitching Standing-Room only seating

Sphagnum1 Guest

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/04/24/business/seats.php

Interesting read... Heck, if they were a bunch of these seats in the back of the plane for half the price, I'd consider it for sure. But only on shorter flights..... And it would have to be adjustable to fit my 6'3" frame.... Smile

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

Agreed - I would consider this. I am small, though.

What was interesting was the subtle anti-airline tone of the piece. I don't really understand this. It was we passengers who fled in our millions after 9/11, and it's not the airlines that caused the political instability that's resulting in high fuel costs. Although it seems to be getting better, slowly, US airlines are still in deep trouble. Of course they'll try to think of ways to cut costs and increase revenue.

Still, in principle it seems like a good idea, especially if it makes it cheaper to fly. But maybe not on longhaul Confused

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I find it a bit humorous, standing strapped to a board especially when you think about some of the early flights across the Atlantic with "sleepers" like a train.
If they want to pack us in like cattle why not line the sides and isles with slabs like a morgue, strap us down and fly with 2000 per flight.
They could even make extra $ turning some of them into tanning beds.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

ROFL Now theres an idea Rolling Eyes Wink

Sphagnum1 Guest

RadarMan wrote:

I find it a bit humorous, standing strapped to a board especially when you think about some of the early flights across the Atlantic with "sleepers" like a train.
If they want to pack us in like cattle why not line the sides and isles with slabs like a morgue, strap us down and fly with 2000 per flight.
They could even make extra $ turning some of them into tanning beds.

Radar

Lol, of course no one is forced into such seats, so if you dont' like it there will always be first class Wink

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

or you could always put a gym on those short flights but make sure that the gym members have a seperate room for them to work out because personally I wouldn't want to be in the same computer with those smelly people..... Secret *they smell*

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Standing room only!
I hope I never see the day that happens Sad

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Will someone take all these people/companies who do nothing but figure out how to squeeze the last penny out of anything without any concern for human dignity and comfort, and dump them on an island...standing room only!

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

Good idea but I can't see it ever working Idea

Pro Member Chief Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Chief Captain

For those of us who are running low on cash, and dread every trip we make --- I'll take it

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Next thing you know, they will want to charge for the use of the restrooms. Shocked

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

CrashGordon wrote:

Next thing you know, they will want to charge for the use of the restrooms. Shocked

Some airlines (especially the budget ones) are heading that way. Ryanair, for example, is certainly cheap but I don't want to pay 3 for a Pot Noodle.

Pro Member Captain
Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) Captain

i'm sorry.. but that is the stupidest idea i have ever heard.. i hope this doesn't happen in my lifetime Sad

Pro Member First Officer
Jeff Brock (jeffb57) First Officer

if they make the seats that small, people will sue because they would get scoliosis from sitting too long in seats with minimal comfort