Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

stupid?

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

the new a340 worries me, it looks stupidly long - which while very good for extra passengers a) sure it is going to get scraped everytime there is wind and b) if it did scrape the floor - how strong is the fuselage?

i mean i know it has been designed for years and all that, but...c'mon; it's just too much.

Pro Member Trainee
mrtazzy Trainee

Maybe the landing gear is just really incredibly tall! 😎 How much longer then a Boeing 777 is it?

Last edited by mrtazzy on Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:06 am, edited 3 times in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

It's really not that bad...

Probably easier to land and takeoff then my ATR which is VERY low to the ground, can't land with more then 4degrees of pitch.

Can't be much longer then the old DC-8's...

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

I think the A340-600 is the longest aircraft ever made, longer than the DC8. That having been said, don't worry. The pilots are actually rated for it and able to fly it well enough 😛

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Wow, the Airbus is about 30 meters longer then the DC-8.

Also learned that the A340-500/600 are the longest range airliners ever.

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

Over the next generation, airliners are going to be bigger, longer and faster than ever before. Unsafe??. Well there havn't been any incidents so far so we just have to trust that maufacturers have got their calcualtions right. Read

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Interesting that we can make bigger, longer, faster planes, but that Luggage for Dusseldorf still winds up going to Tashkent. 🙄

Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

Solotwo wrote:

Wow, the Airbus is about 30 meters longer then the DC-8.

Also learned that the A340-500/600 are the longest range airliners ever.

As of now, the 777 holds that record with a Hong-Kong to London flight non-stop over the United States. On paper, the A340 might have it, but Boeing holds the actual record right now.

Pro Member Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Wow that is seriously OTT long! 😳

Is it really gonna be that much longer than the A380 or is it just the angle of the shot, with the A380 quite a distance away that makes it look so long?

It would be interesting to read if someone could post a list of fuselage lengths (including the new a340) so we can compare them...?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

The specs are...

A380-800 - Wing span 79.8m (261ft 10in), length 72,75m (238ft 8in). Height 24,08 m (79ft)

A340-500 - Wing span 63.70m (208ft 11in), length 67.80m (222ft 5in), height 17.80m (58ft 5in). Wing area 437.0m2 (4704sq ft).
A340-600 - Same, except length 75.30m (247ft 0in).

So the 600 is 8ft longer.

Pro Member First Officer
Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) First Officer

lol, if you ask me.. the A340-600 looks like someone took the top off a 747 and added it to the back of the bottom floor.

i find the A340 to be a very appealing aircraft, but there's something about the A340-600 that I don't find attractive. I'll stick to the -200 and -300 series 😉

also.. according to operational specifications, the 777-200LR actually holds the record for the longest range aircraft in the world.. beating the A340-500 by 365nm with a total range of 8,865nm.

...but either way, all these ships can stay aloft for a very long time without stopping to re-fuel..

..the wright brothers would be so proud! 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

The length of it is one of the things that makes it ugly to me, which is why I never fly it.

The 777-200LR can actually go 9,420 nautical miles. I flew real time from London to Darwin in it last week.

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

Interesting that we can make bigger, longer, faster planes, but that Luggage for Dusseldorf still winds up going to Tashkent. 🙄

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Pro Member Trainee
mrtazzy Trainee

I would like to humbly ask again - How much longer then a 777-300 is it?

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

A340-600= 75.3 metres
777-300 = 73.9 metres

Difference = 1.4 metres

😉

Pro Member First Officer
Sico2 First Officer

Well I won't say how A340-600 looks like for me, Embarassed
I don't know if it's stupid or not to do such long and extended fuselage, but as long as all seats are booked and it gives the airlinie the profit out of it, hey good idea! I like A380 more though. I think B777-3 is long enough. Longer airplanes look just silly