screen shots

Pro Member Trainee
flynflip Trainee

I'm new in the field of flight sims and I see and hear a lot about screen shots. Is it possible to take your own screen shots using fs9 software or is there something else that I need to perform this task.

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
Velocity_Boy Trainee

I just use the "print Screen" button on the keyboard.
The only problem with this method is that you can only store one shot, every time you press the button it will dump the last shot from the clip board and store the new one.
What I do is press ALt-Tab to get out of FS then open (or have open) a graphics application, and paste the shot straight in.
If you are not sure how to do that, try with MS Paint - that comes with windows - click on "edit", then "paste", the pic will open up for you.
You can keep alt tab'ing to keep checking out new screen shots till you get one worth working on, then you will probably need to do some jiggery pokery with it in a graphics app to get it to really shine.
If you want to get some nice shots..(of course you do) then you might like to use my technique which is to set the FS up for the job: Don't just snap away and hope for a killer shot, you will have to set the drivers on your graphics card for anti aliasing (2 times at least) and anisotropic filtering (8x is nice). Then in MS FlightSim, set the settings for real frame sapping results! Enable trilinear filtering and have the sliders set for what you would like if you had next years PC! And set the resolution to your desktop res.
The flying enjoyment will be non existent , I have a pretty sound system-xp2400, Radeon 9800pro and 1gig of ram, and my frame rates drop to something like 5-10 when I do this, but the screenies will look a heap better.
After that, go into Photo Shop, or what ever is your chosen weapon, and add you personal touch-at the very least you will want to do some sharpening and probably some brightening and darkening of certain areas to get the best result.
Jaggies around he plane itself is the biggest bind really, but if you can up the anti aliasing as much as possible you'll get a better result, jaggies are a massive giveaway that the image is a computer generated one and it is difficult to tone them down in photo shop or paint shop pro without a LOT of work (maybe someone can tell me if they know of a simple trick to deal with them). I use pre emptive action to deal with it, I make sure that when I snap the screenie, the plane is at the best angle for the jaggies to be less noticeable. As you swing your camera angle around, you will see what I mean, at some angles the edge of the plane looks like the teeth of saw - even with anti aliasing on.
It all sounds ilke a bit of work, but I have had some nice results, and if a job's worth doing......... Wink

I apologise if I have over answered your question Embarassed

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

This post should help. You can also use the "Print Screen" key to send it to the Clipboard but then you have to use that program at the bottom of the post to convert it to a JPEG.
Any questions, please ask, good "shooting", and post some of them in out "Photo Gallery".

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/1360/screenshots-help-please/

Almost forgot, get the free 4.0 Screen Hunter.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

A little off topic, but 9800 Pro shouldnt drop framerates that bad should it??? The X800 Platinum gets around 35 with everything, and i do mean EVERYTHING all the way up. I thought the 9800 was a really fast card. Mine goees to pot when i set the clouds up a bit. I do plan on gettign the Platinum Edition, but i'm worryed bout compatibility. I'll figure something out...by the way, what other screenshot applications are out there, i'd like to have a few when i get my new card.

Pro Member Trainee
Velocity_Boy Trainee

Hi FEM the 9800pro is a lovely card, but with all the sliders set to max and the AA and AF set to high levels then things start to get a bit demanding, auto gen is a big drain it seems, and not surprising I guess,also with the res set to 1280x1024. When I first loaded the sim I didn't think too much about what the sliders did and set most to 75%ish, not really thinking that they would make much difference, it was a real shock when I did turn everything up!....I reckon this could be the first game/sim where the sliders really do make a difference! The scenery just looked completely different..
I too will be investing in one of the X800 band soon I reckon 🙂 I'm just waiting for the right time to explain the "need" to the little lady 😳

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

A little off topic, but 9800 Pro shouldnt drop framerates that bad should it??? The X800 Platinum gets around 35 with everything, and i do mean EVERYTHING all the way up. I thought the 9800 was a really fast card. Mine goees to pot when i set the clouds up a bit. I do plan on gettign the Platinum Edition, but i'm worryed bout compatibility. I'll figure something out...by the way, what other screenshot applications are out there, i'd like to have a few when i get my new card.

fsscreen.zip is a popular download, you can get it at http://www.avsim.com/.

There are some in here but I've never used them.
http://www.3dgw.com/utilities.php3

Actually the net is full of free and shareware programs.

In a "busy" area with the sliders maxed out, yes it will drop.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Hi FEM the 9800pro is a lovely card, but with all the sliders set to max and the AA and AF set to high levels then things start to get a bit demanding, auto gen is a big drain it seems, and not surprising I guess,also with the res set to 1280x1024. When I first loaded the sim I didn't think too much about what the sliders did and set most to 75%ish, not really thinking that they would make much difference, it was a real shock when I did turn everything up!....I reckon this could be the first game/sim where the sliders really do make a difference! The scenery just looked completely different..

Oh, cause i had let my friend borrow the sim, and he's got a 9800Pro. Just as soon as I asked him how it was, he began this rant about how "Yeah, microsoft was like...Screw detail, just put a few blocks together and call it a plane, I turned EVERYTING all the way up and I was hittin about 70 Frames with Anti-Aliasing and the graphics still sucked" That's why i didnt figure the 9800 would slow down at all, but then again, this guy had told me that a 128GB USB Hard Drive was "slow and didn't hold as much stuff"

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...