Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Multiplayer Connection Issue - Please Help

TimTim Guest

Hey everyone
Using FS2004

Today was my first day trying multiplayer (on the internet that is, not on my LAN though)

I am connected via a wireless gateway to a router.

When I go to connect to an IP address, the servers on that IP come up for a few seconds (about 5 seconds) but then dissapear and act as if there is no servers on that host. This happens for all IP addresses. I tried to be sneaky a few times and press on a game and press 'Join' just before it dissapears but this causes the game to freeze

What do you think is the problem??

Do I need to forward the ports necessary for FS2004??

Thanks for the help in advance

Pro Member Trainee
Philng Trainee

try putting your computer's ip on the DMZ host list.

TimTim Guest

Philng wrote:

Sorry to sound stupid but what does that mean and how do you do it??

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

TimTim wrote:

Philng wrote:

Sorry to sound stupid but what does that mean and how do you do it??

See if this link helps you with the router.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/PortRoute.html#howto

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

I found this link helped me the most

http://www.portforward.com/default.htm

TimTim Guest

OK, sorry to drag up an old topic but I tried something that I thought might help today

As I firgured it was a problem with the firewall, I disabled it and it worked. But obviously I can't leave the firewall disabled because I would get too much viruses and that.

I don't fully understand the DMZ thing but the look of it is making my computer not use the firewall?? This would fill my computer with hijackers etc.

Is there a way this will work??

Thanks for the help in advance

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Hi TimTim, I'm not an expert, but I don't quite understand your problem, I use Zone Alarm (free version), and it gives me no problems with online Multiplay. But I do have the Windows XP firewall disabled. And my Virus checker is the free AVG7, no trouble with that either.

I think you will find that the programming of port forwarding correctly is most likely your trouble. This can be confusing, and each type/model of router has it's own method, and sadly there are a few which cannot do port forwarding. I bough three routers in my ignorance before finding that fact out. The first two would not port forward.

Check out the compatible ones on the site I gave in my last post on this topic.

www.portforward.com

Hope that helps.

Ok I got it working just had to set my firewall to the low setting for flight sim then change it back to medium when i am done (I am not the only person who has to use that firewall)