Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

World size

Ace man Guest

I have been flying over lake ontario and noticed that it looks very small compared to the real world. Even lake erie looks small. Is there a way to make the world a bit bigger? In top down view the farmland crops can be still seen big if I go higher up in the top down view. Is this normal or the fs9 world is smaller in real life. I can still see land across it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

You can climb to 40000 feet and still see a small runway below you on the ground if there are no clouds (in real life), so I think its realistic 😉

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

99jolegg wrote:

You can climb to 40000 feet and still see a small runway below you on the ground if there are no clouds (in real life), so I think its realistic 😉

Yup. I've been able to make out ships while flying at 35000 over the Atlantic.

I'm not sure what the great lakes look like in cruise - the only time I flew over one in real life we were landing in Chicago, so we were much lower than that.

ACE man Guest

Thanks. So its not a problem. Its the great lakes that got me confused because of their size but it might have something do with the unlimited visibility. If you have the mercedes benz van add on It can take a very long to to drive across a state the size of tennesee. It can take a you 16 hours to do it.

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

Well, I've never tried to drive across Tennessee in real life, but 16 hours seems plausible. It would take about 8 hours to drive across Pennsylvania, and I suspect that PA is smaller than TN.

Pro Member Trainee
mrtazzy Trainee

99jolegg wrote:

You can climb to 40000 feet and still see a small runway below you on the ground if there are no clouds (in real life), so I think its realistic 😉

Not sure but my sarcasm detector is going off! ROFL

Guest Ed Guest

Ace man wrote:

I have been flying over lake ontario and noticed that it looks very small compared to the real world. Even lake erie looks small. Is there a way to make the world a bit bigger? In top down view the farmland crops can be still seen big if I go higher up in the top down view. Is this normal or the fs9 world is smaller in real life. I can still see land across it.

I've seen Lake Erie in real life (I'm from Cleveland) and in FS09, and the fact is, it isn't all that big. You can't see across it standing on the East 9th St. Pier, but I bet you could from the top of the Terminal Tower, at least on a clear day. You can fly across it in about a half hour, even in a light plane.

Fly across the Pacific Ocean at the equator in FS09, and see if you still think the world seems small. 😳

Just a thought, if the view doesn't seem realistic to you, you could zoom back on all your views. I always fly with all of the views set to 75% zoom, because that way there is overlap between the views, which makes it easier for me to remain oriented. I have noticed, though, that every time I start a flight, FS09 loses that zoom setting, except for the forward view. All the rest, I have to reset for every flight.

Ed

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

antone wrote:

Well, I've never tried to drive across Tennessee in real life, but 16 hours seems plausible. It would take about 8 hours to drive across Pennsylvania, and I suspect that PA is smaller than TN.

It only took me 11 hours to drive from Houston to al paso, is TN bigger than TX?? 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
mcmxl First Officer

Remember, when standing on the beach the horizon on the water is 7 miles away. How far from 35000ft? 😂 😂

Pro Member Trainee
wscott52 Trainee

[quote="Guest Ed"]

Ace man wrote:

I've seen Lake Erie in real life (I'm from Cleveland) and in FS09, and the fact is, it isn't all that big. You can't see across it standing on the East 9th St. Pier, but I bet you could from the top of the Terminal Tower, at least on a clear day. You can fly across it in about a half hour, even in a light plane.

Fly across the Pacific Ocean at the equator in FS09, and see if you still think the world seems small. 😳

Ed

I can see across Lake Erie from my living room 750 feet above Westfield, NY. When I fly out of the airport in Dunkirk in FS2004 the layout of the land looks pretty realistic. Of course the buildings aren't

Guest Ed Guest

[quote="wscott52"]

Guest Ed wrote:

Ace man wrote:

I've seen Lake Erie in real life (I'm from Cleveland) and in FS09, and the fact is, it isn't all that big. You can't see across it standing on the East 9th St. Pier, but I bet you could from the top of the Terminal Tower, at least on a clear day. You can fly across it in about a half hour, even in a light plane.

Fly across the Pacific Ocean at the equator in FS09, and see if you still think the world seems small. 😳

Ed

I can see across Lake Erie from my living room 750 feet above Westfield, NY. When I fly out of the airport in Dunkirk in FS2004 the layout of the land looks pretty realistic. Of course the buildings aren't

Looking at Mapquest, I'd estimate that Lake Erie is about 25% wider at Cleveland than it is at Westfield, but thank you for supporting my claim. 😀

I don't even know if you can go to the top of the Terminal Tower any more; it used to be a touristy thing to do.

Ed

All times are GMT Page 1 of 1

Related Questions