joshuah Guest

HI THERE

What is de-ice and pilot heat?
Do they affect flying in FS9?

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

De-ice is a mechanism that de-ices the enigines and control surfaces so that air can flow over them properly. If they are icy and air flows over them abnormally, the control surfaces won't be as effective.

Pitot heat is a mechanism which prevents ice build up on static ports, i.e. sensors that sense altitude, speed etc. Clearly ice would block these ports and it would most likely end in disaster, as did happen once with an Aeromexico 757 when someone forgot to remove the protective foil they put on them after maintainence.

In FS, I think it depends on your realism settings but in FSpax make sure you always put on pitot heat becasue otherwise you speed tape goes haywire ❗ ❗

😉

Pro Member First Officer
Nick (-Jester-) First Officer

Ya I forgot to put my DE-ICE Switch to ON and when I was at 31,000 ft it was about -17* (winter) and I just started to fall out of the sky and my engines shut down

Pro Member First Officer
Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) First Officer

you should always have a backup plan jester...

...like an open window and lots of hot coffee, lol 😂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...