Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Newbie and confused..

Pro Member Trainee
Syracuse_Jim Trainee

Hi All,

I'm kind of new to FS9, but have run flight sims since FS1 on the C-64. I've been having a problem with the audio from ATC. I get the text just fine, but no audio.

I've rechecked the installation, made sure that my sounds were on and turned up, re-installed FS9, and even got a new sound card (Soundblaster Live 64 Bit), double checked that I did have a pilot voice selected, and installed "Edit Voicepak", thinking that might help...no joy.

Everything else works great...engine sounds, fly-by sounds, exterior sounds, just no ATC audio.

This is probably something really simple that I'm overlooking, but I guess I'm too close to it to see it.

Anyone have any suggestions of what I could try to correct this? Even without the ATC audio, I really like the sim a lot.

Any help will be greatly appreceiated.

Jim

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Welcome to Fly Away Syracuse_Jim 😀 👍

Have you check your Settings/Sound/Air Traffic Control (in FS settings) if its mute?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Welcome aboard!

If that's not it try these and see if they help with the ATC.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177252/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812394/en-us

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😕 Strange,try the Sound page in settings and make sure the ATC slider is up

GM got there 1st 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Syracuse_Jim wrote:

...and installed "Edit Voicepak", ...

Did it work before you installed Edit Voicepak?

Pro Member Trainee
Syracuse_Jim Trainee

Hi and thanks for the warm welcome. I'll try those links to MS support and see if they help.

Yep, I checked all the sliders and the set up in the settings and everything says it should be working...very odd! I probably installed FS during the wrong phase of the moon or something... 🙄 😉

Heck, even if I can't get it going, it's still a great flight sim!

Thanks again!

Jim

P.S.: No, the sound for ATC wasn't working before I installed it. I thought maybe by running that prg, that it might help FS find the sound files. Now that I think of it, that's how it's acting..like it doesn't know where to look for the voice files for the ATC.

Thanks

Pro Member Trainee
Syracuse_Jim Trainee

RadarMan wrote:

Welcome aboard!

If that's not it try these and see if they help with the ATC.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177252/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812394/en-us

Radar

Thanks...I already did the first one..nada...going to try the second link now.

Jim

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Syracuse_Jim wrote:

P.S.: No, the sound for ATC wasn't working before I installed it.
Thanks

You say that you've re-installed FS9 in your original post.

I've re-installed so many times (for other reasons) and have never had this problem. I have on-board sound btw, ... 64Bit soundcard Read

Pro Member Trainee
Syracuse_Jim Trainee

Ok, did both pages of fixes from MS...No Joy. Everything else works fine, just no ATC voice.

Just as an FYI: I'm running XP Home, with a Gig of memory, half a gig of video memory and a Soundblaster - Live 24 bit sound card..dunno if this info will help any, but figured that I'd mention it.

Looks like I got me a project!! 😉

Many Thanks again,

Jim

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Try this.
Find the DirectX Diagnostic tool (Accessories/system tools/system information/tools/DirectX Diagnostic tool/sound) and change the "hardware acceleration level" on the Sound tab from 'full' to 'basic'

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Syracuse_Jim Trainee

Ok, tried that...there's no DirectX under tools...I know I have v9.0c installed, because I did that today I did go into the multimedia section and reduced the acceleration all the way down there, and it made no difference at all.

Just got done updating my drivers for the sound card, still nothing.

Better Living Through Technology, eh? 😀

Jim