anti-virus conflict

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

Way off topic...

I don't know if anybody will have an idea about this, but I'm running a quite recent Norton antivirus package, and its particular user sesion application - "ccapp.exe" is causing me to freeze on shutdown, and sometimes worse.

Has anyone had this happen? I almost hate Norton.

Mad

Answers 32 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I use Norton in past and i have no problems with it but if you ever thing of change it i suggest Avast.
I use it and i find and great.Daily update and not at all power hungry.
You only need to send them an e-mail for your free registration.Have a look here ➡

www.avast.com

Here you can find the Free version. ➡

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

😉

Don Wood Guest

I have Norton, updated daily, and have no problem running FS9 as long as I turn off my modem before I begin running FS. However, if I leave the modem on, FS9 will crash in a variety of ways when Norton tries to access the internet, which it does automatically.

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

I haven't had it happen to me yet. Based on research studys Norton is the worst that you can have. Zone Alarm was rated number 1 in that study.
Zone Alarm: http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Are we discussing Firewall or Anti-Virus?

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

sorry to interrupt,but use avast.I have it since a while,and it works like a charm. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

PanAmerican wrote:

I haven't had it happen to me yet. Based on research studys Norton is the worst that you can have. Zone Alarm was rated number 1 in that study.

These are two different things dear Panam.Norton is an Antivirus and ZoneAlarm is a firewall.There a lot of people that confuse these two things.I have seen a system in a friendly house that has only Firewall and no Antivirus and they thing that they were protected. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

I have Norton but my subsription has expired. What does this mean?? Am I still protected??

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

pilotwannabe wrote:

I have Norton but my subsription has expired. What does this mean?? Am I still protected??

Yes you are. 😉 But anyway go to Avast.I have done the same.

Pro Member First Officer
Wing-man First Officer

Some good advice and links posted here. 😉

I also use Norton Wall Bashing (not for long though), I also disconnect my router and turn off Norton Antivirus before starting up FS9. There's a tip for yer, anything (anti) running in the background will affect the performance of MS FS, so switch it off, unless you remain on-line whilst running FS ofcourse.
Anyway, back to the post, I was just posting this link so some programmes can be compared. 😉

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/?ttreng=1&ttrkey=antivirus+software

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

Tailhook wrote:

Are we discussing Firewall or Anti-Virus?

Antivirus was my original concern.

After reviewing these helpful posts, I believe I will definately shut down my modem and close my norton user session before doing any more gaming. My norton may soon be going away as well - they have zero in the way of customer service ❗

Pro Member Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

pilotwannabe wrote:

Yes you are. 😉 But anyway go to Avast.I have done the same.

exactly,your're protected,but you won't get any updates against new viruses.change to avast,and if you need a firewall use zonealarm.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Well, i've downloaded avast and it seems Norton was doing its job Nope Just done a virus scan with avast and it seems my system is infected with just about everything; viruses, tojans, adware....
Just one question though, now I have avast should I uninstall Norton. I've had to disable it anyway becasue they can't work simultaneously.

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

I'm not sure,gm probably knows more than I do about this,but I would say yes,cause you won't need it any more and you already disabled it. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

hms_endeavour wrote:

I'm not sure,gm probably knows more than I do about this,but I would say yes,cause you won't need it any more and you already disabled it. 😉

Thanks HMS. I disabled it becasue Avast didn't like it but my 'autoprotect' which by the way clearly doesn't protect appears to still be able to be active with avast running.

Pro Member Chief Captain

roger.let's see what the others say.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

pilotwannabe wrote:

Well, i've downloaded avast and it seems Norton was doing its job Nope Just done a virus scan with avast and it seems my system is infected with just about everything; viruses, tojans, adware....
Just one question though, now I have avast should I uninstall Norton. I've had to disable it anyway becasue they can't work simultaneously.

😉

An antivirus program will not protect you from adware - use Spybot and Ad-Aware (both free) for that purpose.

Your question re uninstalling Norton:

Disconnect from the internet, switch off your modem. Disable avast -- enable Norton antivirus. Uninstall Norton antivirus completely. Enable avast again --- you're done.

These are two different things dear Panam.Norton is an Antivirus and ZoneAlarm is a firewall.There a lot of people that confuse these two things.

Indeed. -- I would like to point out though that there are plenty of folks who confuse Norton Antivirus with Norton Internet Protection.
The latter containing both, Antivirus and Firewall.

The confusion is evident even in this thread.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I dunno what to say,but avast protects me from adware... 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

PanAmerican wrote:

These are two different things dear Panam.Norton is an Antivirus and ZoneAlarm is a firewall.There a lot of people that confuse these two things.I have seen a system in a friendly house that has only Firewall and no Antivirus and they thing that they were protected. 😉

Umm, take a look at the Zone Labs site and you will find they offer firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware products under the zonealarm name.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Probably i miss something ans sorry Embarassed people for this but due to my hate about ZA i dont want even to visit their site. Yucky

Pro Member Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

Probably i miss something ans sorry Embarassed people for this but due to my hate about ZA i dont want even to visit their site. Yucky

I knew you didn't like them. It's the same reason I can't say much about Norton. 😉

By the way, if anyone doesn't like Avast, try the free version of AVG. I've found it uses a little less RAM and is quite effective.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Confirm about AVG. Yes Yes Yes

Pro Member Chief Captain

I leant off zone and just went back to microsoft. 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain

I tried to uninstall Norton and got the following message...

The installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a vaild Windows installation package

Any ideas???

Also with Avast I have had to move hundreds of files to 'the chest' but i'm not really sure what to do with thm now. Delete them??

Thanks 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

hms_endeavour wrote:

I leant off zone and just went back to microsoft. 🙄

The only problem with MS is that while it guards against inbound connection attempts, it does nothing to stop programs on your computer from phoning home.

Pro Member Chief Captain

pilotwannabe wrote:

I tried to uninstall Norton and got the following message...

The installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a vaild Windows installation package

Any ideas???

Also with Avast I have had to move hundreds of files to 'the chest' but i'm not really sure what to do with thm now. Delete them??

Thanks 😉

As far as the Norton uninstall problem. How did you go about it, but using the control panel or Norton's uninstaller directly?

As far as Avast quarantining hundreds of files, can you give an example of some of the file names?

Pro Member Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

As far as the Norton uninstall problem. How did you go about it, but using the control panel or Norton's uninstaller directly?

As far as Avast quarantining hundreds of files, can you give an example of some of the file names?

I did both, from the start list and the control panel, got the same message both times.

Files....
➡ C:\System Volume Information\_restore{1450A557-4027-4F57-AFFC-65B5F7AFB22A}R\...

There are quite a few of those files and...

➡ C:\Windows\System 32 (not good 😞 )

and there's also a couple in my program files Crying or Very sad

😉

Pro Member First Officer
oreo005 First Officer

i used to have Norton but i uninstalled it and used Freedom security & privacy. Freedom works pretty well for me. (p.s. norton came with my computer)

Pro Member Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Captain

If your Pc came with Northon it will be very hard to uninstall all componets of it; i had the problem and never could delet Northon completly. Don´t know why, until today i don´t. Buy if you install a copy of Northon it will be less hard to delet it from your computer.
When i tryed to delet my Northon i had to re-install windows, becouse some problems northon gave as present after trying to kill the hell out of my PC. 😕

Norton sucks. If you want a good all around program get system mechanic pro. you get anti virus, firewall and utility programs to help clean and protect your computer.

Zone alarm is OK

Pro Member Chief Captain

Oberkomando wrote:

If your Pc came with Northon it will be very hard to uninstall all componets of it; i had the problem and never could delet Northon completly. Don´t know why, until today i don´t. Buy if you install a copy of Northon it will be less hard to delet it from your computer.
When i tryed to delet my Northon i had to re-install windows, becouse some problems northon gave as present after trying to kill the hell out of my PC. 😕

Mine came with Norton and uninstalling it was easy and uneventful.

Pro Member Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

Oberkomando wrote:

I wasn´t that lucky... 😞 .
Now i have northon and it is ok for me, i think it is not the best of all, but it is a good anti virus. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

How did you do it Crash ❓ ❓

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...