SearchSearch 

Boeing 748 Update

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

I just got this from Boeing.

Boeing Concludes New Round of Wind-tunnel Tests for 747-8 Family

SEATTLE, May 8, 2006 – The latest round of wind-tunnel testing for the new Boeing [NYSE: BA] 747-8 family of airplanes concluded recently, marking another milestone for the program launched last November by Cargolux Airlines and Nippon Cargo Airlines.

Boeing is on track to meet its firm configuration date of October this year and deliver the first 747-8, a freighter, to Cargolux in September 2009.

The latest tests included high- and low-speed lines development and fine-tuning of the noise characteristics on the fully integrated airframe.

“The focus of these latest tests was to finalize the aerodynamic lines of the airplane and begin the development of design loads,” said Roy Eggink, chief engineer – Product Development, 747-8 Program.

The high-speed model of the 747-8F is a 3 percent scale model of the airplane measuring about 2.2 meters (87 inches) long with a wing span of 1.8 meters (74 inches). The low-speed model of the 747-8 is a 5 percent scale model. More than 3,000 hours of wind tunnel time have been logged to date in the development of the 747-8.

The recent series of four major wind tunnel tests ran in parallel at three wind tunnels in Seattle – the Boeing Transonic Wind Tunnel (BTWT), Low Speed Acoustic Facility and Nozzle Test Facility – and at the QinetiQ wind tunnel in Farnborough, England.

Nozzle tests on the airplane’s GEnx-2B67 engine will continue for the remainder of the development period, which is June 2006 for firm configuration for the engine and third quarter of 2007 for first engine test.

New features that will be adopted as a result of wind-tunnel testing include a partial fly-by-wire flight-control system that directs electrically signalled spoilers for maneuver load alleviation, as well as drooped ailerons for approach and landing.

Work at the BTWT included testing the final high-speed design. Eggink said the next round of testing that takes place will include high Reynolds number tests at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) Ames facility in Mountain View, Calif., and will conclude in the second quarter of 2006. “High Reynolds number” refers to a higher-pressure tunnel that offers conditions closer to those of actual flight. This tunnel is more expensive to operate than other wind tunnels, but allows structure engineers to design parts to tighter tolerances. The 747-8 wind tunnel model will then return to the BTWT for more tests in the run-up to final configuration freeze.

Additional Information
747-8 Family: The 747-8 is a family of passenger and freighter airplanes that serves the market for airplanes of 400 seats and larger. The 747-8 Intercontinental passenger airplane seats 450 passengers in a typical three-class configuration and offers the lowest seat-mile cost of any passenger airplane. It provides operators a 14,815-km (8,000-nmi) range, 21 percent greater cargo volume and 9 percent lower seat-mile costs compared to the 747-400. The 747-8 Freighter will fly 8,275 km (4,475 nmi) with a maximum structural payload capacity of 140 metric tonnes (154 tons). It offers 16 percent more revenue cargo volume than the 747-400F with slightly greater range. The 747-8 Freighter upholds its predecessor’s legendary efficiency, with equivalent trip costs and 15 percent lower ton-mile costs than the 747-400F. The 747-8 Freighter will enjoy the lowest ton-mile costs of any freighter, giving operators unmatched profit potential. The first 747-8 Freighter will be delivered to launch customer Cargolux in September 2009.

Boeing Transonic Wind Tunnel: The Boeing Transonic Wind Tunnel, originally opened in 1944 for testing of the B-47, has undergone dramatic upgrades in the last several years. The changes include a new drive system with a 55,000-horsepower variable speed motor. Tunnel environment and air quality in the test section were improved with a circuit extension and the addition of a full-flow heat exchanger and dehumidifier system. In addition, redesigned fan blades have been installed along with new turning vanes, a flow conditioner and a bell mouth. A variety of model measurement methods and data acquisition equipment are selectively available.

# # #

Contacts: Leslie Hazzard, Boeing, 747 Communications, 425-342-0447

Photo(s) and caption(s) are available with this release on http://boeingmedia.com

10 Responses

Pro Member First Officer
Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) First Officer

i think the 747-8 is boeing's "answer" to the A380... although the 747 will always be a classic design.. no matter how much you toy with it to make it modern. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

That's a great site you posted, the pictures alone make it worth going there.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Interesting read Read I hope the 748 is successfull 😉

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Very interesting article PanAm, thanks very much. 👍

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

yes very interesting reading.
As RadarMan says I think that the 747-8 is boeing' answer to the A-380.

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

99jolegg wrote:

Interesting read Read I hope the 748 is successfull 😉

I think the 748 will be successful. Personally, I think that all current 744 operaters, i.e. a lot of airlines, will choose the 748 over the A380, unless they are current airbus long-haul operators. This could explain why Air France, Lufthansa and SIA have ordered the A380. Airlines like BA, Iberia, JAL and ANZ. There is certainly a large market for the craft, and considering Boeing havn't invested as much into it as Airbus with their A380, they may have struck gold. Just my opinion of course. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

PanAm - what is that aircraft in your sig?

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

SteveT wrote:

I think its a DC-10 😉

Pro Member Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Captain

Thanks for the web link, nice and interesting. 🙂

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

pilotwannabe wrote:

SteveT wrote:

I think its a DC-10 😉

It is a DC-10. Got it from: www.panamva.com