SearchSearch 

Airspace on charts

Excelsis Guest

I am fascinated by maps and bought a couple of Jeppesen VFR/GPS charts for Holland/Belgium and the UK in order to fly as much as possible VFR in FS9. I'm figuring out all the airspace regulations but there's something I don't understand in the notation.

For example an airspace will have a small white box attached to its boundary with something like N864 A FL75-FL245. I understand the FL bit but what does N684 mean? And what does the letter "A"signify? Is that letter indeed the airspace category?

And sometimes a controlled zone (CTR) around an airport will also have a letter before it. Schiphol for example has C3000. What does that "C"mean? Also the airspace category?

And also what does the acronyms MTA and LTA mean?

Sorry for all the questions, hope you can help. Thanks in advance!!
Cheers

3 Responses

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Without looking (don't use Jepps) I imagine N864 is an airway which will be "class A" from FL75 to FL245.
Again without seeing, I would have thought C3000 would be "controlled airspace from 3000ft if no upper limit is specified".
Finally off the top of my head MTA and LTA...not sure TMA however Terminal Manuevering Area.

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

MTA stands for Minimum Terrain Clearence Altitude and LTA stands for Letter To Airmen 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I think it depends on where you are looking at and what is around that area. MTA also stands for Military Training Area. Again the same thing applies to LTA. It can stand for Local Training Area or Lighter-Than-Air which refers to aircraft such as balloons etc if you are referring to a NOTAM warning etc. Theres lots of different meanings so without knowing where you are looking at, its hard to tell which one is correct.

I always thought that MSA was the Minimum Safe Altitude which specified the minimum terrain altitude which PW mentioned Dont Know

😉