Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

flight destinations

Pro Member First Officer
davidmac1 First Officer

Can anyone help, i want to know some of the usual european destinations of the following planes from the UK;

Boeing 777-300
MD-88
DC-9

Thanks in advance

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

Does anyone fly a 777 from the UK to Europe? I generally assumed they'd be used on long-haul operations.

London to anywhere in Europe, as per Travelocity, is on an A320, A321, B737, or smaller.

The longest two flights I could think of were London to St. Petersburg and London to Tenerife, and while they had 747's listed for those flights, there were no 777's.

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

I can't think of any European operators of the DC-9, I think they may have been banned becasue of new noise regulations but I might be wrong, SAS did used to operate it from Scandinavia to London. The MD-88 is still used by Iberia on routes to London Heathrow, i'm not sure of any others. As antone suggested, the 777 is primarily used on long-range routes and so will only be used on European routes for a special charter, a football match maybe. Aeroflot did use to fly it from Moscow to Heathrow but I think these have now been replaced by Airbus models and the IL-96.
😉

Pro Member First Officer
davidmac1 First Officer

yes i thought that might be the reason for me not finding 777 routes. I had never heard of them flying europe but i thought it was worth a try

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

davidmac1 wrote:

yes i thought that might be the reason for me not finding 777 routes. I had never heard of them flying europe but i thought it was worth a try

Well, you could do some flights to the USA and Canada instead 😀

I know that some airlines use 777s on those routes - I have flown on them.

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

I've caught a flight from London Heathrow to The French Charles-De-Gaulle. So They put on these large planes depending on the demand for a destination.

Example: Often there is huge demand for people to fly between Mauritius and Reunion. The flight between the two islands is less than half an hour. So when demand is high Air Austral send their 777's to Mauritius while Air Mauritus do the flights back and fourth using A340-300's.

Pro Member First Officer
davidmac1 First Officer

antone wrote:

davidmac1 wrote:

This is actually for my new va and we are just doing european routes at the moment. Hopefully we will expand to the rest of the world soon.

Pro Member First Officer
davidmac1 First Officer

JVD wrote:

I've caught a flight from London Heathrow to The French Charles-De-Gaulle. So They put on these large planes depending on the demand for a destination.

Example: Often there is huge demand for people to fly between Mauritius and Reunion. The flight between the two islands is less than half an hour. So when demand is high Air Austral send their 777's to Mauritius while Air Mauritus do the flights back and fourth using A340-300's.

Thank you i will keep that in mind, when making up flights

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

davidmac1 wrote:

antone wrote:

davidmac1 wrote:

This is actually for my new va and we are just doing european routes at the moment. Hopefully we will expand to the rest of the world soon.

Ah, I see. Well I guess you would normally operate lighter equipment on these routes.

Of course (related to JVD's point) if there's a high passenger volume, bigger stuff may work. I know that JAL operates 747s for some Japanese domestic routes, in an alarming 500-odd seat configuration. These flights would be no more than a couple of hours duration, and the number of passengers justifies the use of such a large airplane. But for scheduled flights within Europe, nobody would use a 777.

Pro Member Captain
Canyon (NoWorries) Captain

antone wrote:

Of course (related to JVD's point) if there's a high passenger volume, bigger stuff may work. I know that JAL operates 747s for some Japanese domestic routes, in an alarming 500-odd seat configuration.

To fit more people, they block the upper-deck emergency exits in order to fit six more seats. 😳