Quick question...

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

Hey

I'm doing this quiz need your help, the question is....

If on Tuesday, the temperature is exactly 0 degrees celcius and then on Wednesday the temperature doubles, what is the temperature on Wednesday??

I think this question is ridiculous, any ideas??
Thanks 😉

Read

Answers 17 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

0x0=0

If its constantly zero degrees all day, then it can't double because you can't double the number zero, so it'd be zero degrees on Wednesday aswell...

Or am I missing something 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain

I thought this too Jon, and thought that I was missing something. If the temperature was twice the value the next day, how can it be the same??

Pro Member Chief Captain

pilotwannabe wrote:

If the temperature was twice the value the next day, how can it be the same??

Thats what it wants you to think, but multiply any integer by zero and it will always equal zero

Last edited by Jonathan (99jolegg) on Sat May 13, 2006 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain

OK, so its sort of a trick question. Thanks 😉, i'll put 0 👍

Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

It will be 64* Farenheit, 18* Celcius, 291* Kelvin, and 524* Rankine.

😎

Pro Member Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Captain

I think the temperature will be cero, everyday, cero thursday and wednesday cero, you have allready said the answer 😕 .

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

personally i think its elevendy twelve. 😂

😎

Pro Member First Officer

Oberkomando wrote:

I think the temperature will be cero, everyday, cero thursday and wednesday cero, you have allready said the answer 😕 .

This is not a math question, like it sounds, but a measurement question. In math, you get 0 by multiplication...but in measurement, it doesn't matter the scale, if the temperature increases(as in doubles), then it doesn't matter what the math rule says, the actual temperature has increased.

The five major scales for temperature are Celcius, Fareinheit, Kelvin, Rankine(based on Farenheit) and Reaumur(based on Celcius).

Assuming that the temperature is 0 degrees celcius, it is currently 32 F, 273 K, 492 Ra, 0 Re...So if the temperature doubles, it does matter which scale you use, because as stated earlier, you will be in error if you multiply by zero. So you have to pick a non-zero temperature.

This could all be simplified and less confusing if we used my scale:

Freakin' Cold
Cold
Chilly
Oh So Nice
Stuffy
Hot
Estoy en Llama ( <The phrase I memorized when I went to Spain...just in case I might need it. I didn't. It means, "I am ablaze.")

Wink

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

NoWorries wrote:

Oberkomando wrote:

This is not a math question, like it sounds, but a measurement question. In math, you get 0 by multiplication...but in measurement, it doesn't matter the scale, if the temperature increases(as in doubles), then it doesn't matter what the math rule says, the actual temperature has increased.

The five major scales for temperature are Celcius, Fareinheit, Kelvin, Rankine(based on Farenheit) and Reaumur(based on Celcius).

Assuming that the temperature is 0 degrees celcius, it is currently 32 F, 273 K, 492 Ra, 0 Re...So if the temperature doubles, it does matter which scale you use, because as stated earlier, you will be in error if you multiply by zero. So you have to pick a non-zero temperature.

This could all be simplified and less confusing if we used my scale:

Freakin' Cold
Cold
Chilly
Oh So Nice
Stuffy
Hot
Estoy en Llama ( <The phrase I memorized when I went to Spain...just in case I might need it. I didn't. It means, "I am ablaze.")

Wink

haha

😎

Pro Member Chief Captain

Great!! Thanks for your help guys 😉

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

no problemo

Pro Member Captain

Ok, if not what is the temperatrure?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Oberkomando wrote:

Ok, if not what is the temperatrure?

17.8 degrees Celsius...

Embarassed

NoWorries was right, if it is zero celsius one day and it doubles, then you look to another scale of temperature and double the equivalent and then convert it back to Celsius...I wasn't thinking Poke in Eye

0 degrees Celsius = 32 degrees Farenheit so double 32 to get 64 degrees Farenheit and then convert it back to Celsius to get 17.8 or round it up to 18 degrees Celsius.

Pro Member Chief Captain

OK, this is getting a little confusing 😂

Thanks 😉

Pro Member Captain

Lets say we are not able to determinate this temperature problem.
We need to think but relax.

Pro Member First Officer

This is the old, "If a tree falls in the woods, and no one is around to hear it, does it make a noise?"

Of course it does, because the noise is irregardless of the measurement device, which is the ear, and more specifically decibels, timber, inflection...

Temperature exists even if no one ever thought to measure it, so the measurement has to wrap itself around the temperature, not the other way around.

Pro Member Captain

Yes it does, but nobody there to listen that. 😂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...