Serious sound problem

Seem Guest

When ever I play Flight Simulator 2004 about 3 mins into the game a high pitched noise will come through the speakers and all I can do is to restart the computer then the noise will go away. This happens only in FS2K4. I really need to fix that problem.

My computer is AMD Athlon 2.1 Ghz, 1024 MB RAM, Radeon 9600 pro and soundcard is Terratec DMX Xfire 1024.

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

In a way this could apply to you.
It's most likely your sound card, it need new drivers, the only other possibility would be the codecs.
That's all that I can think of at this time.
If this doesn't work, come on back and lets see what else we can do.
Also has it ale ways done this or did it just start.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;177252

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291818 For XP only.

Also do you have the latest DirectX installed, you should.

Radar

I reinstalled my soundcard drivers and it helped for a couple of flight sessions, but then the same problem came again and it is now just like before reinstalling. I have newest drivers.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Try going into the sound settings in the sim and set your specs to the lowest setting.
MS has a bad habit of not supporting certain versions of cards, new ones, way out of date ones and odd ones.
I don't think yours fall into these categories but I would try to "dampen" its presence in the sim.
See if the card has a configurable control panel, it may be listed in your programs listing. A change of some kind there might be the answer.

Radar

maxjet38 Guest

Dump the sound card. Buy yourself a Creative labs sound Blaster 2z (thx certified for your future games or movies) About $99 US. Disable the onboard sound (motherboard) and follow instructions in installing your new sound card. You wont be dissapointed.

I had the same problem with the onboard sound and a SIS sound card, about 10 minutes into the game, it will either screetch or chatter.

Good luck

It helped when I changed soundcard's settings 😀 Maybe I should buy new soundcard anyway.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If you do buy a Creative make certain that you delete the old drivers before you put the new card in.
Shut off the computer, pull out the old card, put in the new card and boot-up the computer.
Windows will recognize it. then install the new drivers that you get with the card.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...